Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

here are some more from Cleverley, but I've never worn them... the shop was refitted last year and they sold these off to me cheap(ish). Completely bespoke- every stitch is done by hand with a needle and thread- I think they're amazing! made in the 70s apparently, with bespoke trees that are hinged at the ankle:cool:

4195338937_5c21497c34_m.jpg4196095186_68d9269932_m.jpg4196095910_a6b4f36674_m.jpg4196095776_414a230062_m.jpg

4195339173_35a64eea7a_m.jpg4195339075_a307243c19_m.jpg

What alternatives are there to the Alden Indy? They are the prefect boot with a less than perfect price.

How about $75 for the same LOOKING boot? It's not going to be as good as the Alden but maybe not a bad starter boot for the budget minded. It's the one from Todd's Costumes, here's the link my friend..

http://www.toddscostumes.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=3575

Sure, if you're going for the look of the 405. But I rather just save up and buy less shoes for the Alden's. Besides, they are leather lined now. I know that Alden's leather and finishing is top notch, so I rather go with something that is worth the money.

Here's a few pic to change your mind. Had these for 3 years.

alden09a.jpg

alden09b.jpg

alden09c.jpg

is that a double midsole i see? okuyama san said its getting harder and harder these days to get supplies of cats paw half soles.. damn im sending out my aldens for cats paws too in a week !

^^No sir, that's a single. Its the welt + single layer mid-sole + cat paw's half sole. The supplies are running low, but I'm just waiting for vibram to re-issue them. Besides, a lot of the deadstock cat paw's are too brittle for actual use, and the rubber quality sucks donkey balls.

I'm actually collecting a few spare pairs myself, but I rather just use a vibram cause they last waaay longer.

If youre looking for a pair you want to wear all the time, why not go for one of the many Indy boots versions with a more durable and grippy sole? If you have to get the leather soles you can always wear rubber protectors when it rains or make sure you dry them correctly after. Have you ever worn leather soled shoes? They are pretty slippery in wet or icy conditions.

I like the extra length on the buco bottom strap... What's that line down the middle of each boot?

There's something real classic about an extra long instep strap. The lines down vamp are sometimes called "toe tracks" "toe seam" (there may be others out there as well). These are indentations left behind, back in the day, while being constructed around certain boot lasts which give the boot it's toe shape. The tracks on my particular pair, for some reason, are substandard from The Real McCoys' earlier Buco Models.

wait how come your buco has a natural colored midsole?

Ha! I was expecting someone to ask that question. I took the dye off with sandpaper. I wasn't diggin' the all black boot, so I thought I'd give it a go. I think it turned out okay. As you know, the current Buco's are all black where as the earlier models have natural edges and a better toe track. I may give it a brown dye job to make the natrual color more even, but not sure yet.

the thrift fairies were good to me yesterday as I picked up two pairs of beautiful V-Cleat Florsheim Long Wings... in Black and Cordovan!

Unfortunately they didn't know my size and gave me two pairs of 10 E while I needed an 11...

really nice pair of Bucos, +rep for sandpapering the edges

at first sight I didnt like the Buzz Rickson tanker boots, posted a couple of pages back, but the more i look at them, the more they look appealing. might be a good alternative for a pair of engineer boots...