tate + yoko - the official thread

TATE + YOKO

I would like to order a pair of the N&FxFHxTY colabs, I have had apair of unsanforized denim before and unsure of which size to get. I normally get N&F 32 or so. Based on the table should I size down to 30 or 31?

We're under the assumption those measurements are pre-soak. So, it all depends on what kind of fit you'd like. If you go with a size 30, you can assume that the waist will shrink from its original 32 to at least 31. However, with wear, they'll stretch back to tag size. Keep in mind that unsanforized denim will shrink slightly in the rise, hem, knee and thigh as well.

I would like to order a pair of the N&FxFHxTY colabs, I have had apair of unsanforized denim before and unsure of which size to get. I normally get N&F 32 or so. Based on the table should I size down to 30 or 31?

We're under the assumption those measurements are pre-soak. So, it all depends on what kind of fit you'd like. If you go with a size 30, you can assume that the waist will shrink from its original 32 to at least 31. However, with wear, they'll stretch back to tag size. Keep in mind that unsanforized denim will shrink slightly in the rise, hem, knee and thigh as well.

Shoreman is correct. The measurements are pre-soak and most of the shrinkage will happen in the waist (about an inch), and length (up to 2 inches).

I would recommend sizing down 1 from your true waist. OR if you usually size down 2 in the Weird Guy fit, size down 1 for the FHXNF

not sure if you guys measure the same way as self edge, but does the N&FxFHxTY weird guy fit very similarly to the FH SE05BSP?...the rise and thigh measurements for the bigger sizes seem very similar

Edited by rmc

Shoreman is correct. The measurements are pre-soak and most of the shrinkage will happen in the waist (about an inch), and length (up to 2 inches).

Dang. My inseam is 34, with the FHxNF only being 34 3/4 the shrinkage that would happen would make them quite short in the legs. I guess there is no way to get a longer inseam?

Little update! We've received a small shipment of Flat Head goods which includes a shawl collar cardigan, the 2015 20oz straight jean as well as a couple of chambray workshirts. These will be going up onto the website tomorrow.

From what we have in stock right now from Flat Head, the buffalo check shirts have been a hit and are going quickly as well as the F2001 slim straight, so best cop as quickly as possible.

Pictures to come.

Edited by TATE + YOKO

Little update! We've received a small shipment of Flat Head goods which includes a shawl collar cardigan, the 2015 20oz straight jean as well as a couple of chambray workshirts. These will be going up onto the website tomorrow.

From what we have in stock right now from Flat Head, the buffalo check shirts have been a hit and are going quickly as well as the F2001 slim straight, so best cop as quickly as possible.

Pictures to come.

I don't think I've seen these yet…yet another reason to pop into the shop again.

Any updates on when we will be able to purchase the Spring N&F stuff?

Specifically the shirts?

A few items are available for purchase as of right now, although they need to go up the website. You can give me a call at 1.514.382.4062 if you want to place an order directly over the phone.

what we have in stock:

Weird Guy Scratch-n-Sniff Raspberry Scented

Weird Guy Broken Twill Greencast

Weird Guy Gauze Double Wave

Weird Guy Frankenstein 2

Skinny Guy Broken Twill Greencast

Skinny Guy Check Twill

Skinny Guy Wax Stretch

Slim Shirt Lightweight Painter

Slim Shirt Double-Weave Native Beige

Slim Shirt Double-Weave Native Blue

Slim Shirt Linen Blend Duck Print

Slim Shirt Linen Blend Dog Print

You guys are so fucking lazy you stole copy and the size charts directly off the Self Edge site?

Laziness is what's up.

We've spent 6 years building a brand, writing copy, researching spec lists, and measuring every size of every shirt. Coming along and swiping all that from our site is low.

Laziness is what's up.

We've spent 6 years building a brand, writing copy, researching spec lists, and measuring every size of every shirt. Coming along and swiping all that from our site is low.

I've been a long time lurker on this site and never really felt a need to post, but I think you are a bit off here. I think it would be, to be blunt, stupid to waste time measuring out size charts for clothing if you have found an accurate one elsewhere for the same model. It's a new store with I'm sure a lot of things going on in terms of start up. I can understand that when self edge started it didn't have that luxury, it was one of the first english speaking websites to carry a lot of these brands. You didn't really have a choice but to do all the product write-up's from scratch right? I mean, yeah it should grind your gears a little that these guys are taking your effort and using it to save their own time, but really it takes as long to copy something that short from another site and format it for your own as it does to just write a 4 sentence description. Perhaps they are simply saying self edge has done the description as good as it could be done? Either way, I don't think any of that undermines the 6 years of "brand building" self edge has done, if anything I would think aggressive posts like yours would do that job at a far quicker pace.

Still eager to see how T+Y responds to what you are saying, because it is true and is a sign of cutting certain corners. I just don't see it as a big deal, perhaps because I don't have a vested interested in any of these companies. As far as I'm concerned, it's another sweet place to grab awesome denim in north america and I'd honestly rather they spent all of their focus bringing me more awesome products instead of writing perfect product descriptions for the ones they do have. Not trying to fan any flames here, just saying I don't think copying a product description warrants a public attack, perhaps a private e-mail or phone call trying to resolve the situation first would have been more appropriate? Either way, it's great to have another store in the quality denim game, don't try to scare them off so quick!

Relax Kiya, we take all the measurements ourselves by hand. Not just for Flat Head products but for all the brands we carry. See below an example of measurements of 2 Flat Head jeans and a Kamikaze + Oni jean.

169194g.jpg

2ec2cnr.jpg

If one of our interns did take measurements or info from the site, we will make sure it is changed immediately.

We're just friendly canadian denim nerds working hard to offer our customers the brands that we love.

I wasn't referring to Oni or Kamikaze.

What i was referring to was this (copy, spec list, and size charts are identical):

tate.jpg

tate1.jpg

Edited by kiya

Nice first post..

This has nothing to do with "stealing business", this has to do with stealing copy.

(i love how both the posts against SE are from users which signed up just to post that)

Edited by kiya

I've been a long time lurker on this site and never really felt a need to post, but I think you are a bit off here. I think it would be, to be blunt, stupid to waste time measuring out size charts for clothing if you have found an accurate one elsewhere for the same model. It's a new store with I'm sure a lot of things going on in terms of start up. I can understand that when self edge started it didn't have that luxury, it was one of the first english speaking websites to carry a lot of these brands. You didn't really have a choice but to do all the product write-up's from scratch right? I mean, yeah it should grind your gears a little that these guys are taking your effort and using it to save their own time, but really it takes as long to copy something that short from another site and format it for your own as it does to just write a 4 sentence description. Perhaps they are simply saying self edge has done the description as good as it could be done? Either way, I don't think any of that undermines the 6 years of "brand building" self edge has done, if anything I would think aggressive posts like yours would do that job at a far quicker pace.

given the kind of passion and enthusiasm (or aggression, negativity, whatever you want to call it) kiya and the self edge staff exudes, and the stock and niche they’re in, i’m sure lifting copy does not take the same amount of time as writing it. writing copy for this stuff is a lot harder than it seems, and like kiya said, takes a lot of research, time and thought. you know, you’re trying not to fall victim to any tropes or tired phrases, while trying to share worthwhile insights not found anywhere else.

this is not to say T+Y has committed an egregious crime or anything – but yeah, one might assume whoever was in charge of writing the scripts was lazy and made a mistake in not citing SE. sizing charts are sizing charts, and they probably should be ubiquitously shared whenever possible – but to call it a “waste of time†because it’s already out there isn’t right –i’m sure the dudes at T+Y wouldn’t agree.

but it’s all good – i don’t think this should take away from either stores, nor should it take away from any of stuff they sell.