Raw Selvage, Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans

Canuk

Dear Sufu,

I'd like to introduce you to a project I've been working on...

About a year and a half ago, I was looking for a pair of Kevlar lined motorcycle jeans, that I could wear on my commute into London.

- The idea behind Kevlar lined motorcycle jeans is that you have the comfort of being able to ride in jeans, and the confidence that if you come off your bike, the Kevlar will act as abbrassion protection to keep your skin on your body rather than the road.-

As any other motorcyclist can attest, the choices of kevlar lined motorcycle jeans are dismal at best (this of course is a heavily biased opinion). I decided to try to do something about it.

I hired brilliant London designer, Satish Tailor - a fellow denim head who just happened to have helped design Puma's MotoGP race gear - and found a manufacturer that was willing to work with a startup, looking to produce a limited run (no simple task). I'm pleased to announce that yesterday, I pulled the trigger, and placed an order for the first run of Maple Motorcycle Jeans.

I have ordered an equal limited number of kevlar lined, and "regular" unlined jeans, with an expected delivery date in early 2012.

Below are some photos of the prototypes (forgive the size, they're 38 waist to fit my fat ass). There are a few design details I'd like to change before production, including the addition of pockets for Forcefield knee and hip armour. I'm really stoked to see how the armour effects the fade!

Details:

-13.5 oz raw indigo selvage denim

-Suspender/brace buttons

-Cinch back

-High rise for wind protection

-Kevlar version will include knee and hip armour

-Fit modelled after LVC 1944s

Sufu, I invite your comments and opinions. Negative or otherwise, your collective expertise in all things denim, is invaluable to a small business like mine. I have learned loads from this forum, and as such, am excited to be able to use that knowledge to offer a protective alternative to the raw denim marketplace.

Cheers

Dave

mapleb0076b.jpg

mapleb0017.jpg

mapleb0069.jpg

mapleb0065.jpg

mapleb0031.jpg

mapleb0083.jpg

mapleb0033.jpg

Look great. As a daily scooter commuter around London I'd welcome these and know plenty of scooter/bike types who'd be very keen too..

Any idea on the RRP?

Out of interest, can they be treated to make them waterproof aswell?

You should try & get some presence at the ACE cafe and vintage/classic bike meets. - Assuming you're not already onto that!

Rear pocket design comes across as a bit feminine, imo.

Second this, a bigger and more accomodating set of pockets should do the trick. I'd totally recommend this to my biker friends if so, I'm sure they'd be insta-kop. Especially if there's a version without the suspender buttons - and possibly in a heavier weight since they're meant to take falls?

Otherwise, I think its an excellent initiative and very nicely done. Props!

Isinner, Tropicalbird - Thanks for the praises!

Maynard - Thank you for the rep. I hadn't seen Flat head before, thanks for pointing them out.

Shoreman - Thanks for your opinion. When you say "pocket design", do you mean the shape/size of the pocket or the pocket stitching?

Mr. Black - Thanks for the comment. Oddly, I was thinking about a referral/reward programme today, so you might do well to tell your mates.

Kelvar lined RRP £250 inc. removable knee & hip armour

Unlined "regular" jeans RRP £125

I'm not entirely sure if they could be treated for water proofing. It's certainly something to look into. Maybe waxed cotton?

Good call on Ace and vintage meets. I've only been to Ace twice (pics in Motorcycles cause me strife), and only for short visits. I'll definitely look into that!

mctaran - Thanks for your input. Is it the thread colour, or design of the back pocket stitch? Out of curiosity, would the stitching turn you off from wearing them?

Ah_long - Yes the Kevlar is very breathable, it's terry knit, so soft and airy. Thanks for your input. Would the pocket design, put you off of wearing them? My wife agrees with you about the cinch. It is functional, and included as a homeage to vintage denim work wear.

lysandar - Thanks for the props, and the rep. I wonder if the fact that the prototypes are so big (to fit me) it makes the pockets look small. Can def look into scaling the pocket size to the waist size. I've really taken to wearing suspenders on my bike, they're great at keeping the back rise up in the riding position.

Thank you for all the comments, gives me some food for thought.. It seems the stand out feedback is around the back pocket design. I'll be taking it all on board, and discussing with my my boy Sat.. Watch this space..

Keep the comments coming.. I really appreciate your opinions!

Let me know if I can be of help in terms of spreading the word or suggest contacts to approach for reviews/promotion.

I've recently been through it with my brand ( www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk ) so they're all fresh in my mind.

Let me know if I can be of help in terms of spreading the word or suggest contacts to approach for reviews/promotion.

I've recently been through it with my brand ( www.sidewinderapparel.co.uk ) so they're all fresh in my mind.

Thanks Mr. Black, much appreciated. PM sent

I have a pair of these (the flat heads) its quote hard to tell if they are Kevlar or not. Not taken a spill in them yet and don't plan on it but I'm not too sure how they would handle a full on crash as they are half Kevlar and half cotton (warp and weft).

Very comfortable compared to some of the other options out there.

Really like the look of where these are going though, something in a more normal cut with Kevlar lining could be quite good!

• 2 weeks later...
Second this, a bigger and more accomodating set of pockets should do the trick. I'd totally recommend this to my biker friends if so, I'm sure they'd be insta-kop. Especially if there's a version without the suspender buttons - and possibly in a heavier weight since they're meant to take falls?

Otherwise, I think its an excellent initiative and very nicely done. Props!

Yeah same to me. The back pocket stitching is not so great IMO.

Perhaps better leave it plain or something with a motorbike on it.

And from the Jeansmuseum I would suggest to use quite some heavier weight denim not just because of longer lasting durability, but I'm thinking more about people driving around in colder temperatures too. So I would go up to 18 plus oz at least

But a superb idea indeed!!!

-------------------------

[email protected], www.jeansmuseum.org (old, new site in english in 2012)

The Jeansmuseum encourage people to use their raw denim stuff as long as possible. And after then, you can nail them on a wall or whatever. But just never throw them away. And if they have to go because of any reason after 2, 5 or 10 years, then the Jeansmuseum offers a safe place for those formerly beloved favourite items to survive forever what they really deserve after a hard life reflecting millions of stories from their owners. The Jeansmuseum is the real place, where all those rag items can rest in peace forever.

Check out my current Denime contest:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116118427799433045500/DenimeJeansContestStartFebruary222010?authkey=Gv1sRgCMTApuH-_qLcIQ

This is a great idea, and the execution seems pretty on-point, as well. I'm also not nuts about the back pocket design, but that's minutia. That aside, the only concern I had was this:

I might be totally off here, but it seems to me one would want no extra metal on jeans that are meant to defend against road rash. Wouldn't suspender buttons and cinch buckles be less accommodating on the highway than denim?

As a motorcyclist and denim-head I like the idea. The back pockets shape/size look fine to me but I personally prefer simple or no arcs. Re. the placement of the pockets; I find some jeans seem to make you sit on your wallet a bit more when riding than others, maybe just me?

I'd agree that heavier denim would be nice for warmth/durability but I suppose that it'd be pretty pricey to source, so maybe something for the future!

Good call on the high rise though, a must for riding.

All thanks for the comments, they're much appreciated. I've been wearing my prototypes pretty hard, and am starting to get some good colour change. I'll post pics in the near future.

Morka - what do you mean by "normal cut"? These are straight leg, modelled after LVC 44s. They may look a bit weird, because they're 38 inch waist for my fat ass!

dawei/swissjf - I appreciate that this design isn't going to appeal to everyone. I'll certainly consider something more traditional for future styles.

thecolliseum - Kevlar lined jeans aren't an original idea, however to the best of my knowledge kevlar lined selvage is. Check out dragginjeans.net and sartso.com - Should make it more clear why I'm doing this.

Surly - totally get what you're saying re: metal. The idea of sliding down a motorwat on metal buttons isn't too appealing to me either, however it is functional. I think I've mentioned before, braces are pretty damn handy on motorcycle trousers/pants.

Aether - Cheers for the comments. I know what you mean about riding on your wallet, depending on the length of the journey, it can get pretty numb. My intentions are to produce more styles in the future, and I'll definitely use feedback to influence future designs. I hate a cold lower back.

All good things, well done. I'm not wild about the back pocket stitching but it doesn't really bother me.

Were you able to get your hands on any documentation about road rash? Like, what parts of the body are most vulnerable in the slide? I wonder if it exists at all, or at least something more modern than the HURT report.

• 2 months later...

two months without a post?!?! I've been neglecting SUFU

Raworkshop - Thanks for the feedback. Re: roadrash - my designer was in charge of Puma's venture into motorcycle gear. As such, they did loads of research into impact and abrasion points, which have all been taken into consideration for this design. Also, to avoid any unnecessary stitching (common in other kevlar jeans) the kevlar covers waist to shin on the front.

Update - I've spent the last couple of months going back and forth with my manufacturer over every conceivable detail. Everything from the quality and style of rivets, to the measurement of the placement of armour pockets over the different size range. It has been a great learning experience for me. I've gained a lot of confidence in my manufacturer, based on them being on top of their shit!

I was stoked to receive salesman samples of the regular (non-kevlar) over the holidays, and am really pleased with the quality. These include branded buttons and rivets, and a few tweaks we've made since doing the prototypes. I'm hoping to receive salesman samples of the kevlar jeans in the next couple of weeks.

I've been working part time as a motorcycle courier for the past few months, as a way to test some prototypes, and do some r&d. I'd estimate I've done somewhere around 10k miles in the protos, and am seeing some development of whiskers, good colour change, and great wear patterns.

Due to one thing or another, the delivery date has been pushed back until April 2012. I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm a new customer, and ordering a limited run. None the less, this gives me some time to work on my marketing, so I can get these jeans sold when they arrive.

All for now, I'll try to be more consistent in the future

Always welcome some cooler riding jeans -- it's true those draggin jeans are . . . well, not ideal looking.

I picked up a pair of "zylon" edwins from Kushitani a few years back, they are dark and straight and basic.

Also have always been curious about "esquad" jeans, a french brand. They make "armalith" jeans and one of their new cuts is really basic and looks cool. Don't know anyone that has actually tried them though . . .

Can't wait to see these!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys, apparently this project hasn't gone away. I came across Canuk's website here: http://www.maplemoto.com/

No updates since November... but hopefully he's still working away at it.

I'll probably put in an order for a pair at some point. You know, once I have $400 of disposable income.

Edit: US Reseller here: http://store.revivalcycles.com/collections/selvedge-denim/products/salvedge-denim-1

Edited by untungl

Untungl - This project is alive and well. I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for bumping it. I'll do my best to update it more regularly than once a year.

So far I've gone through two runs of the straight cut (pictured above) - expecting slim fits later this month (unboxing video here).

Happy to field any questions or concerns.

A buddy of mine is one of St. Paul Harley's premier sales guys. I'll float him this link and see if he'd be interested in anything further. He gets the general idea of our denim niche. I'm really not sure if anything would pan out, since they have their own brand of Kevlar jeans which I believe is a fairly recent launch.

My gripe is the typical one regarding design. I personally like how you've played with the wartime homage and I think the laurel suspender buttons are a cool touch. But for a bigger market it would work better as an understated jean, very plain throughout the button and rivet details, with simpler pockets. Also, my experience with wartime cuts has proved to yield some serious diaper ass in the upper block!

For the Harley crowd I would say tremendously simple would be ideal. These would appeal instantly to people deep in the denim niche, and might possibly have quick appeal to "bikers" (whatever that term may mean to you or them) if the craft ethos is made clear. Other than that, we're talking mostly about older average joes with money to spend. While they'd definitely have the dough to cop if they wanted a pair, the average joe isn't going to want to stray too far from their style norm.

Google some of their forums for feedback. Just a quick look myself tells me that there are people who do NOT like many of the fits available. So that is in your favor.