Back-Pocket Rivets!

Jim Cissell

C'mon guys - why aren't we making more of a big deal with back pocket rivets?!

Everyone knows rivets are what make jeans, and they used to be on back pockets, too. Now, they're all but gone, replaced with dumb, sewn, bar-tacks. We're fortunate that an old iconic standby - Wrangler - still cares enough about heritage to continue offering a model (or two) that actually proudly features them.

Just because the 'cowboys' have adopted these particular jeans doesn't mean they're uncool and cool guys just can't wear them! Nonsense. The rise isn't that high either, so just get over that one...

Embrace the fact you can easily get jeans with back pocket rivets, without dancing thru hoops, waiting until LVC is good and ready to reoffer their 201 model, and throw them out there in goofy, limited quantites at goofy-high prices.

Those rivets are there guys; at a great price, and waiting to be proudly adorned!

Jim

Jim do you mind me asking but do you have some formal connection with Wrangler?

not that that is a bad thing, or 'not allowed', but mainly cos I wanna ask someone about the Blue Bell line repros?

;)

P.S. I would get a pair of the regular 13MWZ but am so far unconvinced about the fading being worth the effort. Love the rivets as you say, but also dislike the plastic leather tag. Hence love my Blue Bells cos its real leather and a larger patch too.

i actually dont like the rivits on wranglers for one reason, when i skate and land on my ass i get bruises from the rivits. since the back of the rivit is so raised it feels like i have a hole in my ass. i also wonder if they are really that much stronger than a good bartack. if you put enough stress on a back pocket to tear the bartack wouldnt you just tear the rivit out of the denim, leaving a large hole that would be extremly hard to repair, harder than a normal bartacked pocket?

i also hate the wrangler rivits because i want to lowert the pockets on my wranglers to make them look a bit more modern, and i cant do it!

No, I don't have any connection whatsoever with Wrangler.

In fact for years I refused to wear their jeans - I too associated them closely with that uptight, creased, cowboy image. But one day I just really took a look at the 13MWZ - because of their authentic heritage and the rivets - and started wearing them, without the goofy, pointed boots! And I loved 'em.

I mainly keep bringing them up because they seem overlooked for no good reason...

Jim

I love the atari that backpocket hidden rivets create.

For some reason, I'm a little disapointed when high quality jeans don't have backpocket rivets, like the Samurai SO110XJ or some Denime models.

i think those samurai don't have them because they're lee repros, and some denime don't have them because they're probably 66 repros

anyone know anything about the shrinkage on these puppies?

i got a pair a while back, sized 36X36 - same as my LVC '33s and '37s. i figured they'd shrink similarly down to 34X34-ish.

when i soaked them, they hardly lost any length at all and i ended up shelling out another hundred odd quid on a shorter pair.

are they sanforised or something?

(and both of the buggers are still too baggy now. grrrr. lovely colour, though)

"The rivet is still there".

All my repros from Japan still have the rivet nicely secured under the pocket "where it belongs" in my opinion. The only pair of jeans I have without a back pocket rivet are my edwins. I don't like the way Wranglers fade...Period. Secondly, the just are not cut for everybody. They are so straight that they don't look right on a "LOT" of people I see wearing them.(I live in Texas). But, if they are your thing, they are a hell of a good bargain and will last like a bad haircut.

• 4 months later...

you know, the exposed back pocket rivet (on Levi's) was covered due to the damage they caused the saddle of riders, and on furniture and everything else, right? but why was the hidden rivet itself taken away? and is there a distinct possibility of the rivet busting out of the denim "cover" and wreaking havoc on my furniture in future?

i had some paper denims a while ago and they had exposed back pocket rivets and i didnt think anything of it. one day as i was leaving my math class, i noticed that i had scratched my chair up like crazy. now im kinda weary about the exposed ones.

hidden rivets are the best by far, what in the world are you talking about?!?!

first off they fade great and when they tear through (if u wear jeans hard enough.) then it looks insane.

second they dont scratch the shit off the hood of cars at tailgate's.

hidden rivets are the best by far, what in the world are you talking about?!?!

first off they fade great and when they tear through (if u wear jeans hard enough.) then it looks insane.

second they dont scratch the shit off the hood of cars at tailgate's.