rodney mullen < tony hawk??

newsweek

Mullen's in 'Cube too. He's the guy doubling in the carpark scene doing all the fancy foot work on the flatland/freestyle board. Hawk's the pizza delivery guy I think (vague memory). Also does the halfpipe work instead of Slater, but I could be wrong. :)

mullen is better. its not even a contest. know why? would a ferrari have ever been driven if the wheel hadnt been invented? sure, the ferrari is cooler and shinier and more expensive and showier, but the wheel forever owns the ferrari because the ferrari would not exist if not for the invention of the wheel

key:

hawk:ferrari

mullen:wheel

• 5 years later...
im still going with gonz.

Seconded.

Gonz was doing shit almost twenty years ago that people are just catching on to today. If 91 Gonz came to 2011 and had a part in a video hed fit right in and maybe even wind up having the best part.

Hawk and Mullen are both legends and all three of them are innovators but fuck. Gonz is the man.

K4Rx4gbMN08

Gonz was the reason I began skateboarding because of his Video Days part's cameo in Kids, but I'd still have to give to both Mullen and Hawk.

Mullen's style was kinda bunk (I agree with that), but when filmed he was the first. It wasn't about style, it was about being possible.

I'm kinda old for skating nowadays (27, and skating for more than half my life), but in my age group, even women are somewhat familiar with skateboard terminology due to their non-skater bf's playing Pro Skater when we were younger (Or, waaaay better yet, Thrasher's S&D on PS.).

My pro-Hawk argument is that he made skateboarding known to the masses. The 900 reached people who couldn't have cared less without the hype, but skateboarding grew. After, it was able to support a lot of companies who were able to flow/sponsor a lot talented kids who pushed the sport even further... kids who wouldn't have ever skated if it weren't for Pro Skater or the X-Games. These kids' parents get parks built... I like that since my knees suck and tranny is my friend nowadays.

As far as Mark, his style and way of skateboarding is perfection, but I don't think he would even claim he would have done what he did without Mullen... he'd be lying if he did... which he doesn't.

I feel like Mullen built the car and Hawk drove it.

mullen is better. its not even a contest. know why? would a ferrari have ever been driven if the wheel hadnt been invented? sure, the ferrari is cooler and shinier and more expensive and showier, but the wheel forever owns the ferrari because the ferrari would not exist if not for the invention of the wheel

key:

hawk:ferrari

mullen:wheel

Quoting a five year old post I know, but, Rodney is way more of a ferarri than Tony Hawk.

Gonz was the reason I began skateboarding because of his Video Days part's cameo in Kids, but I'd still have to give to both Mullen and Hawk.

Mullen's style was kinda bunk (I agree with that), but when filmed he was the first. It wasn't about style, it was about being possible.

I'm kinda old for skating nowadays (27, and skating for more than half my life), but in my age group, even women are somewhat familiar with skateboard terminology due to their non-skater bf's playing Pro Skater when we were younger (Or, waaaay better yet, Thrasher's S&D on PS.).

My pro-Hawk argument is that he made skateboarding known to the masses. The 900 reached people who couldn't have cared less without the hype, but skateboarding grew. After, it was able to support a lot of companies who were able to flow/sponsor a lot talented kids who pushed the sport even further... kids who wouldn't have ever skated if it weren't for Pro Skater or the X-Games. These kids' parents get parks built... I like that since my knees suck and tranny is my friend nowadays.

As far as Mark, his style and way of skateboarding is perfection, but I don't think he would even claim he would have done what he did without Mullen... he'd be lying if he did... which he doesn't.

I feel like Mullen built the car and Hawk drove it.

so many problems with this post... all ill say is style has always mattered, and is all that matters in skateboarding, 27 is no where near too old to skate, skateparks suck and are killing real street skating, and skateboarding when it was underground was so much better than blown the fuck out like it is now.

^ I never said style didn't matter, but unless you're skating in a way that is vastly different than what we've all seen in magazines then Mullen and Hawk have influenced your skating. Whether you copy tricks that they invented directly, or you copy a guy who copied them.

I never said 27 was too old to skate. I'm 27 and I skate.

I guess our definitions of what constitutes "underground" are different. I wouldn't call skating underground since back when dudes were still screwing roller skate wheels to boards because skateboards weren't available in shops. That's been awhile now.

yeah... im thinking more around 92-95 when it wasnt all over the tv, when youd get fucked with just for being a skateboarder, when you could street skate all day without getting kicked out by cops or security.

yeah, rodney mullen invented a bunch of freestyle tricks... but it was gonz who took those to the streets.

^ I know what you mean. I still remember when skatestoppers started getting put everywhere and my friends and I thinking, "what the fuck is this shit about." In 95 we needed wax and Bondo, by 2000 we needed a chisel and a big ass hammer.

*I agree with you about Gonz being uber important. He had more of an influence on my skating the Mullen and Hawk. I was just trying to point out that for most kids Mullen and Hawk are more likely to have influenced them. You've just been around long enough to recognize that Gonz is cooler.

^ Agreed. Skateboarding is progressive and Mark, Mullen, and Hawk contributed in more than their share. No one of them could have done it without the other. And we sure as hell wouldn't have so much fun skating without them.

Skating has always progressed by people getting psyched on what other people have done. It has always been more of a, "That's was awesome what you just did. Let's do it again!" Instead of a, "I'm bigger, stronger, faster, and I have a bigger dick even though I would never prove it cuz that would be gay... but I swear it's big" kind of thing.

All three are fucking awesome.