What machines are crucial for making a pair of jeans?

bocaburgler

After watching the Roy video it was very awesome to see him make all those jeans by hand, but it made me wonder...If one person was going to make their very own pair of jeans with a professional look, what machinery is crucial to have?

I already have a Singer 201 sewing machine which is semi industrial. so sewing the denim isn't a problem.

What else? This would be for personal use, so i'm not starting a business here. I just need to bare minimum stuff

Thanks

The big block that I have found is trying to get a machine that feeds off the arm. Try doing a felled seam on a pant leg or sleeve, and you probably get what I mean. No one seems to make a non-industrial machine that feeds this way (chain OR lockstitch). Folks at the local sewing shop look at you like you're from another planet when you ask about this sort of equipment, as they are just some old biddies making quilts and freaky vests out of quilts.

The big block that I have found is trying to get a machine that feeds off the arm. Try doing a felled seam on a pant leg or sleeve, and you probably get what I mean. No one seems to make a non-industrial machine that feeds this way (chain OR lockstitch). Folks at the local sewing shop look at you like you're from another planet when you ask about this sort of equipment, as they are just some old biddies making quilts and freaky vests out of quilts.

This is not because of their unfamiliarity with denim but more so the fact that what you are talking about is $6,000-$10,000 new and $2000-$3000 used. It is a production machine that is for increased efficiency. It is large, powerful, and very difficult to use. The most challenging part is Maintenece. These machine are not for the hobbyist.

i would go with what Coleslaw says and just role with a single needle unit and get loco with the felled seams. Single needle pants can be pretty close to indestructible as long as they are worn baggy. All pre-1900's machines were done using single needle machines and many had open seams rather than felled the inseam and yoke.

I don't think there are any great books, but sewing, in general, is not that difficult, but it just takes consistent practice. Don't start with a pair of jeans, cuz they might just be a waste. they won't fit and you most likely won't wear them. Start with a vest or bag or something simple. A pair of shorts works pretty well, because they don't have to fit extremely well and they help you grow on the construction of jeans. Get some patterns and get going.

thank you!

I actually can sew alright so far... i've made a shirt from a pattern, and have made a twill jacket with a wool lining also from a pattern. Right now i'm reading about pattern making and tailoring. the jeans would be a project in the next few months once i got more confidence. But my first "jeans" project will probably be chinos from a jean pattern and then worked and altered until i got a good fit in mind