Canes 47' 3.5 months, you decide their fate

crisis

What do you think, wash now or wait?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think, wash now or wait?

• wash them tonight
    • wait two more months

I've worn these sugarcane 1947's almost every day for 3 months and 22 days. They've seen their share of alcohol, oyster juice, amusement park water, dirt, dog, pussy, etc. They're getting pretty dirty and the contrast is coming out pretty okay so far. I'm thinking about doing a hot wash with a little bit of detergent. What do you guys think, wash or hold out? I will make my decision based on the votes in 3 hours (i'm impatient).

canes3mos22days010.jpg

canes3mos22days004.jpg

canes3mos22days002.jpg

wait, unless you are pretty active in your jeans. if they smell really bad, wash.

my lvc 47s are pretty smelly now, i think i might wait will august to wash though just to have more contrast. you'll get some alright contrasting with those jeans, but they wont be spectacular. i washed mine at 3 months and they turned out alright. ill post picture before/after wash later tonight.

-later days.

they look fantastic.

how do they fit?

i usually decide to wash my jeans only when they get too saggy and loose. dirt and smell has never bothered me too much so id say wait it out 'cause your jeans dont look very dirty. if the smell is bothering you febreeze and/or hang outside for a minute.

Thanks for the input everyone, i was getting antsy. I was thinking along the lines of what geowu said about the overly contrasted jeans. I just don't want that if i wash them the contrast won't be apparent at all and i would have wasted all this time and effort to just get an "okay" looking pair of jeans. Anyway, i'm changing the rules and extending the poll. Right now wait two months is winning by a butt load, i don't see the results really changing. I'll leave it open until saturday afternoon. If wait wins, i'll wash them the day of the MCATs, August 19th

I'm in the Geowu school - I like to wash them when they're dirty. They tend to come out nice anyways. The caveat is that I hand wash and line dry whenever possible. I've seen some beautiful vintage 501s from the 40's that have great character and I seriously doubt that they were obsessively not-washed to create the effect. Another thing is that I like my jeans just after a wash, when they're shrunk and clean. If I wash them every month or two, I get to have them in that clean state more often.

I agree with Geowu as well - BUT I would do like some squats daily as many times a day as you can stand or ride a bike for the next 2-3 weeks or so in them . This way you dont have to care about the funk if its lingering in your day to day activity but still give them a more thorough workout on the contrasting for their " final stage " before 1st wash .

then wash with a good enviro friendly veggie soap and WARM water . or maybe a quick hot soak 30-60 min without heavy agitation then right to the warm wash after .

Wash them inside out though and hang dry please

I washed my canes 47 1st after about 2.5months of wear. Then I washed ritually every month. I think mine turned out pretty well. Not a ton of contrast, but a nice worn vintage look. I also worked construction in mine 5 days a week for 8 hours a day. You can see pictures of them in the "worn jeans" thread.

BTW crisis. Did you size down with those jeans. They look like they fit you pretty tight.

i agree w/ geowu. Unless you're going for a really specific look, just wash em. I've got a pair of japanese denim that I just washed when they needed it and they turned out great. Ryu's jeans are pretty awesome and he washed every month. yours look like they've got a lot of wear on them anyways.

you can compare it to my lvc 1947s:

before:

5.jpg

after 3.5 months one wash with woolite black(Feb 7th - May 27)

DSC03960.jpg

there wasn't a drastic change, it lost a little color. im probably going to do one more wash next week (they stink) and the whiskers should be more defined. but i think i should have waited to get some vertical fading. but if you like the played down fading, maybe you'll like how they'll turn out. i kind of like my jeans i just wish the whiskers were more defined. ill have new pictures up next friday when i wash my jeans.

-later days.

cultpop they fit pretty well, i think i should've sized down especially since i've lost a little bit of weight. They've stretched out in the legs and waist a decent ammount since i first got them, i think another poster mentioned that washing will bring back the old shape which i'm looking forward to.

Rnrs switch, your jeans are partially the reason why i bought my canes, they look great btw. I don't think i have as much wear in them as you get working construction in yours though.

Prufrock, your jeans look great, i'm sure after a couple more washed they'll have more contrast, thanks for posting the pictures. Thanks for all the advice everyone, i'm trying to get in more wear with these but it's hard when i'm trying to cycle in my Onis haha, i switch off mid day now.