Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

hey

still have not bought myself a levis 501 stf yet… went to a shitty macy’s and they did not have any

but i did get these new levis 505 and trucker jacket… what do you guys think of the fit?

im 6feet 180lbs. jeans 31×34, jacket size M

levis1.jpg

For the levis 501 stf, i was planning to buy the black colorway. How to get the perfect fit on the waist, i want to be able to wear it without a belt and not have pants falling off? Do i just try it on and make sure its nice snug on the waist, but get longer length? After soaks, washes, and drying, the waist size wont change much, its mostly the length that shrinks, is that correct?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know the story of Levi's current iteration of the 501's inseam? Mine have two rows of stitching, unlike all my other 501's LVC, preshrunk or STF.

1a59e137.jpg

Edited by Robroy

^^ that's how both my pairs are... and one is def a few years old. so they've had that inseam for quite a while i'm sure.

There is this promotion in Singapore where you trade in any pair of jeans for a SGD$50 instant discount for purchasing a new pair of Levi's jeans. (+ $20 vouchers for tops and $30 for items $80 and above).

Original price SGD$179. Got it at SGD$129 after trading in.

Hi Adrianghaust, where did u buy those selvage STF 501? i mean store location in singapore.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome thread. just finished reading from page 1 to current. I even ordered a pair and boy they look huge! i went tts waist and +2 length but these look crazy big.(im around 32/32)

And WTF? i just got out my tape measure to check the size. i bought 32 waist/34 length and these are 34 waist/32 length.. Got off levis.com.. that sucks lol

I just got my 501 Shrink-to-fit which i bought from ebay.

when i tried it, waist size is just nice even though i ordered one size up.

Length is pretty long and wide, hopefully these will fir after a soak.

what i afraid is the waist, is it can be too shrink after soak?

when i compare with my old 501 (32x32), waist size is same.

new one is (33x34).

there is another thing i want to ask is, there is no bath tab in my place.

So, is it ok if i soak in a bucket?

waiting ur suggestion.

Thanks,

I just got my 501 Shrink-to-fit which i bought from ebay.

when i tried it, waist size is just nice even though i ordered one size up.

Length is pretty long and wide, hopefully these will fir after a soak.

what i afraid is the waist, is it can be too shrink after soak?

when i compare with my old 501 (32x32), waist size is same.

new one is (33x34).

there is another thing i want to ask is, there is no bath tab in my place.

So, is it ok if i soak in a bucket?

waiting ur suggestion.

Thanks,

1) yes the waist can, and probably will shrink a bit, which is normal. Expect them to stretch back to the listed size, and possibly farther with wear.

2) The legs will shrink a good amount, but to what degree is kind of random

3) yea you can soak in a bucket, unless you plan on soaking them as you wear them, which obviously is impossible

Thanks for ur reply, Thoang77.

i don't hv an idea to soak in the bucket with wearing them.. :D:D

i just took out the jeans from warm water after 1 1/4 hrs and hanging in the bathroom.

i m thinking to wear and walk when it stops dropping water.

my experience is the waist doesn't shrink that much. I've never washed a pair of STF so I don't know how much it'll shrink with that method.

I would have gotten your true waist size. The length will shrink but the width wont shrink much either..at least by soaking.

You can use anything that holds water to soak. Most use tubs since it's convenient.

Just back from walking with wet denim. now it is totally dry and really satisfied the fitting.

waist isn't shrink significantly but Length might shrink about 3-4 inches.

here are some photos, i took before and after soak. sorry for photo quality.

-Before Soak

http://imgur.com/XpgFi

-After Soak

http://imgur.com/u2gc9

http://imgur.com/1QNjw

http://imgur.com/goOVU

http://imgur.com/8yWUV

http://imgur.com/5ZtmI

http://imgur.com/ferAV

• 1 month later...

my levi's 501 STF since january 2012

lots of washes, click for better look.

comments are welcome.

BekasiTimur-20120922-00087_zpsaf0325bd.jpg

BekasiTimur-20120922-00078_zps74c79f29.jpg

BekasiTimur-20120922-00080_zpse1ceb0a3.jpg

BekasiTimur-20120922-00086_zps03c30a2d.jpg

I have an issue. I've been buying levi's for years. My real measurements are 33x34 but I always buy 31x34 (which end up measuring 33x34). This means that levi's run 3 inches larger in the waist than they claim but true in the inseam. I currently can't find STF 501's in Toronto so I bought a pair online with the tagged size being 31x36, contrary to levi's "size up 1" rule. Regardless, they ended up being a little too loose in the waist, measuring 34 after shrinking. My guess is that after a few months of wear, they will end up measuring 35. So what I've deduced is that I would need to order a 29 inch waist in order to achieve my results. However, to my knowledge, levi's doesn't make 29x36 STF 501's. The smallest they make is 30x36. WTF do I do?

• 4 weeks later...

http://us.levi.com/p...3146854.3194290

I ordered 34 x 34 Levi's rigid selvedge STF from the website. Denim is sort of thin (11.5oz/yd) but seems ok for $84. Nice leather tag. Dont like the white stitching. Measurements are a bit blousy:

W35

Th12.5

BR15

FR13

kn9.75

hem9

inseam33.5

NOt sure if they wil shrink enough, they are very very baggy compared to my normal stfs. Will see if they have a w33 at the store, if not just taking them back. will post pics later

Edited by silkyslim

Here are my STFs that I got at the beginning of summer to use as work jeans for my summer carpet cleaning/janitor job. I wore them pretty much 5 days a week starting the second week of may till the first week of september. Now that school has started up again I usually only wear them on the weekends, but occasionally to school because I ended up liking the fit more than I thought I would.

Here's a few pictures!

2012-11-03122357.jpg

2012-11-03122414.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people I usually wear 501s 28x32 (yeah, I'm short and skinny). What size should I buy for STFs? Every website says something different and I thought I might as well just ask real users of STFs.

I want them to fit skinny(not REALLY skinny, but with the shape of my leg) or something among those lines. Any advice? Also, what's the most I should pay for a pair of STFs? They don't come to my country (Peru) and I have to pay for the shipping (should be around 20 USD)

Help is much appreciated.

the Levi's site has everything 30% off and free shipping. I'm tempted to cop a pair of STF (it comes to like $33) even though the consensus among denimheads seems to be that the quality has declined the last few years. $30 though...

esku, for a 'classic' 501 fit 29x34 would probably be the best choice. For a contemporary slimmer fit go true to size. I think the indigos come in 28x34, some of the seasonal colors are stocked online but the small sizes go fast.

the Levi's site has everything 30% off and free shipping. I'm tempted to cop a pair of STF (it comes to like $33) even though the consensus among denimheads seems to be that the quality has declined the last few years. $30 though...

The quality certainly has been decreasing but the current 501s are still hardy enough to last a few seasons and show great wear. Worth $30 at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine in the mail and am very pleased with them. They didn't seem to shrink very much even after I soaked them in hot water for an hour. The inseam didn't shrink nearly as much as I anticipated. They seem kind of baggy but I think they look good -- it just takes some getting used to the looser fit after wearing "skinny" jeans for so long. They are comfortable and hearty and making me reconsider ever spending more than $30 on raw denim ever again...

Will post pics soon.

Picked up a pair during black friday of rigid 501 STF's sized down one (real: 29x30, bought, 28x34).

Shit is baggy as fuck. I think Levi's changed the fit. It barely goes around my waist but you could put another half leg in each pant leg. Also i'm 2 hours into a very hot soak and i have literally no indigo loss, the water is crystal clear...very bizarre. Hopefully shrinkage will still occur. Not sure if the total lack of indigo loss is good or bad...i'd say good but i'm worried about how it will now fade. On the bright side the color is very close to most raw denim, instead of the brighter blue.

edit: Finished my 4 hour soak with boiling water re-heats. Used a clear glass and cupped out some of the water, it looks crystal clear still. I'm gonna hang dry them now (11:00 PST) inside and i imagine they will still be damp tomorrow, at which point i will hang them outside to finish drying. Will take comparison pictures (i actually got sent two pairs by mistake so i can compare exactly)

Edited by sAfuRos

I picked up a pair of black STFs from cyber monday sales. Went with my usual 34" waist and I could barely button them up pre-soak, and it was pretty snug in the thighs. Even pulling them out of the box I noticed that they looked small.

Tried on another pair of STFs I bought early in the year that have already been soaked and they still fit fine. I'm not sure if they've changed the sizing on these or if they were mis-labled.

Picked up a pair during black friday of rigid 501 STF's sized down one (real: 29x30, bought, 28x34).

Shit is baggy as fuck. I think Levi's changed the fit. It barely goes around my waist but you could put another half leg in each pant leg. Also i'm 2 hours into a very hot soak and i have literally no indigo loss, the water is crystal clear...very bizarre. Hopefully shrinkage will still occur. Not sure if the total lack of indigo loss is good or bad...i'd say good but i'm worried about how it will now fade. On the bright side the color is very close to most raw denim, instead of the brighter blue.

edit: Finished my 4 hour soak with boiling water re-heats. Used a clear glass and cupped out some of the water, it looks crystal clear still. I'm gonna hang dry them now (11:00 PST) inside and i imagine they will still be damp tomorrow, at which point i will hang them outside to finish drying. Will take comparison pictures (i actually got sent two pairs by mistake so i can compare exactly)

They're dried. Measurements presoak were 28x34, post 4 hour soak they are 27.5x31.25 Was hoping for a lot more shrinking in the length, 31.25 is a bit too long (30 is cuffable for me, so this is too much) and in general. Width of the leg opening is maybe half an inch less tops, so shrinkage in general was minimal. As for color, the yare actually darker post soak than they were pre-soak, i'll upload pics eventually.

Basically they are too loose for me to wear despite sizing down 1. For reference, i wear nudies slim jims 30 waist and they fit me quite tight at first until they streteched out, so i think the fit on Levi's is very strange. My nudies fit pretty much perfectly in cut so i dunno whats up with the levis STF being so baggy when i sized down. Sadface :/ Maybe i'll get them hemmed but even then the seat is super loose even though i have relatively large hips for 29 waist (36.5in hips)