Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

Alright thanks. I have some 511's but not really happy with the fit. I have thunder thighs and the jeans look funny.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansgalvez/5337358124/

Do you think shrunken 501's would have a more flattering cut for my body type (chubby thighs, slim calves)?

I have the same body type (34" waist, 26" thighs) and my 34 waist 501 STFs are the best fitting pair of jeans I own. IMO all tapered cuts look bad on people with big thighs so definitely go with a straight leg over anything tapered.

Oh alright. Also what would the leg opening be? Anything bigger than 7" makes my feet look tiny...

On my 30s the opening is about 7 3/4" so a 34W is probably 8+.

Really not that bad though if you lose any excessive break.

^Really like these. And I bet they'd look great, esp. if they are snug. Wear them!

I like them even better worn by you. Really a great pair that will look even more killer when still more strongly faded.

No way are they too tight, see the extra space on your butt.

The "can't get top button closed" syndrome is very well known to many a 501 wearer. Tell me about it, and I AM a slim guy. Covered up with the belt, like you did and I do, it's no issue whatsoever.

+Rep

Freak - yup, I copped the same pair for the same price, with the same discount. : )

been wearing mine for around 4 months (occasionally rotating in my SEXFHXRR10's and FH4001blk's), and they look great. really suprised actually, because I've had a number of pairs of regular Levi 501 STF's and the selvage ones are much better (the fit and denim, more specifically). if you can get them discounted to end up paying around $60, I think they are the best bang for your buck.

pictures soon..(need to make good on this finally)

I keep running into chimeras...my last pair of 501's said '501XX' on the patch and tag, but never shrunk an inch! Today I ran into what I thought was a great deal ($10 bucks a pair), 501's that run TTS (36x34) but the arse pocket tag said STF even though the patch only had '501' and not '501XX'. Confused as fuck, but I bought out the entire store of STF. I am going to dip an inch of the cuff in warm water and see if it shrinks, if not, I guess I'm GTG, but if it does, who wants to take a few pairs (yes I got three) off of me?

I'm going to do the dip right now, I forgot to add, they were $10 a pair. Personally it does feel like STF denim, but who knows. I'm just worried primarily about the inseam, The waist will stretch back out, but the inseam won't. My last pair were 32's and that was fine with boots, but personally, Dunks look better with some stacking.

I keep running into chimeras...my last pair of 501's said '501XX' on the patch and tag, but never shrunk an inch! Today I ran into what I thought was a great deal ($10 bucks a pair), 501's that run TTS (36x34) but the arse pocket tag said STF even though the patch only had '501' and not '501XX'. Confused as fuck, but I bought out the entire store of STF. I am going to dip an inch of the cuff in warm water and see if it shrinks, if not, I guess I'm GTG, but if it does, who wants to take a few pairs (yes I got three) off of me?

They hardly ever put the XX in the lot section nowadays with STFs, doesn't mean anything. Just like the red tabs have a registered symbol instead of 'LeVIS'. It's possible that they were $10 because someone shrunk and returned, or maybe some weird factory second.

Anyone check out Levis.com lately? They have a "Made in USA" line. I guess they finally started listening to their reviews. Most, or all of it is selvedge, has a nice leather patch, and is Made in the USA.

The price is steep, I wonder how their quality holds up. If the pockets fabric is the same thin material they put in their other not LVC levis or the thick material seen in LVC and Levi Collabs.

I'll pick up a pair in a few months when there's a sale and the price drops to $60.

Edit:

Nvm, it's "of imported fabric." Just another sales gimmick to appease some complaints. I'm sure the quality is no better than the selvedge 501's.

I just got a pair of those. I dont know why the website says imported fabric. It's actually cone denim. The tag the jeans came with says they were woven in greensboro NC. The denim is amazing and the pocket bags are super heavy. They're even numbered on the inside. I would get a pair if i were you. The price is steep but they are worth the money. I did get my employee discount so they were a little cheaper for me, but up to par with lvc for sure.

New STFs

Pre-warm-gentle-wash X dopeyface:

5504665538_9bd1eca6c7_z.jpg

Its kinda hard to tell how baggy they actually were in that pic, not sure why.

Post-warm-gentle-wash:

5504663584_179d6e3328_z.jpg

I just got a pair of those. I dont know why the website says imported fabric. It's actually cone denim. The tag the jeans came with says they were woven in greensboro NC. The denim is amazing and the pocket bags are super heavy. They're even numbered on the inside. I would get a pair if i were you. The price is steep but they are worth the money. I did get my employee discount so they were a little cheaper for me, but up to par with lvc for sure.

Would consider it if they offered at LEAST 36" inseams. I got last summers STF selvage which ended up great but are now high waders since they only came in 34" inseams and I'm only 5'10". For these in raw and to only offer these in 32" inseam is a joke. I guess they are pushing people to the $250 LVCs.

I'm going to do the dip right now, I forgot to add, they were $10 a pair. Personally it does feel like STF denim, but who knows. I'm just worried primarily about the inseam, The waist will stretch back out, but the inseam won't. My last pair were 32's and that was fine with boots, but personally, Dunks look better with some stacking.
What a friggin' joke they've become. They even only offer 32 inseams on them. So disappointing.

Seriously! How dense can they be?

There's obviously a huge market for American-made selvage 501's. Why would they only make a 32" inseam? It seriously blows my mind. There must be a huge disconnect between the product people, who understand the heritage of the brand, and the people who make the decisions and write the checks.

They seriously sabotaged what could've been the perfect jean, IMO

You have to consider that a 32" inseam is plenty for the vast majority of people, as most people aren't looking for "stacks".

Also, it's possible that's just what's on the site. I seem to recall seeing such things before, and the actual stores having a wider selection of inseams.

You have to consider that a 32" inseam is plenty for the vast majority of people, as most people aren't looking for "stacks".

Also, it's possible that's just what's on the site. I seem to recall seeing such things before, and the actual stores having a wider selection of inseams.

32" is a good estimate as to the average male's inseam. But these are raw, and they are going to shrink at least 2 inches in the inseam. 30" is definitely not enough. That would barely reach the tops of my shoes, if that.

Levi's shouldn't be this dumb. The average consumer is going to scoff at paying that prince, and doesn't give a damn about selvage. Surely they created these for people who know a little about denim, care about quality, and respect the Levi's brand. They should know that we may want to cuff, or stack, or at the very least have our ankles covered after shrinking is accounted for.