Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

^Could easily have gotten one size smaller, but that's, of course, just me. I like them snug. Enjoy working on them, it's a long road, since, no, they don't fade that fast, unless you're a railroad worker or some such.

(sorry, no pre soak)

new pair of 30x36 stf (mexico) sized down two on waist, up two on inseam.

snapped some fit pics after a weekend of camping with friends. jeans were cold soaked in a creek for twenty minutes and dried by our campfire. probably the manliest way to break in a new pair, as i now smell like blood, thunder, and smoke.

Oxgpn.jpg

wL446.jpg

big:

waist: 16.75

inseam: 34.5

f rise: 11.5

b rise: 14.5

thigh: 12.25

knee: 8.75

leg: 7.75

really enjoying the fit so far. [7]

yeah theyre the soft ridged ones, i kinda wanna try the "dragon ridged" ones out but i upgraded to some naked n famous indigo weirdguys. thanks for the feedback

I have a pair of the dragon rigid that i've been wearing since october, ill post updates when they're picture worthy, which should probably be soon

Went to the Levi's site to look at maybe getting another pair of the 501xx selvage STFs and the new restocks look way different than the 501xx I ordered last July :( So much for that.

On a side note, a fun little project I did to those 501xx was instead of a 6 month soak I bought a couple indigo kits and overdyed them :) Worked so good I did an old beat up, predistressed RRL work shirt I had as well. It was a fun little project anyway, they end up looking like the material the Rogue Territory pants/shirt are made from.

Went to the Levi's site to look at maybe getting another pair of the 501xx selvage STFs and the new restocks look way different than the 501xx I ordered last July :( So much for that.

If you order a pair of the Levi 501XX rigid selvedge, post some pics. I read the one review they had about the stitching...

"So I've had several pairs of the 501XX rigid selvedge, and liked them a lot.

I was elated to see them back in stock, until I noticed the odd white stitching. Seriously?

Honestly, Levis. You had a great thing going on. Upgrading the denim/indigo quality for the 501 was an outstanding idea, but if you want to do trendy gimmicky girl-jean stuff, don't do it on 501's!

So I would recommend the rigid selvedge 501's to a friend as soon as they make them right again. Hopefully it was just a screwup with this batch."

Just curious to see how "bad" the white stitching is... Or if it's even white arcuates and not lemon/yellow like they have on some LVC Levi's.

source:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10948876&cp=3146842.4305630.2765287#BVRRWidgetID

No, once I saw they had changed I didn't order the new style. I've got plenty (for me anyway) jeans to keep me going for a couple of years. I was just looking to get another cheap pair of 501xx. They just had to get cute with them. My god I hate Levis sometimes,

I swooped the last pair(sz.32/34), literally, of the last batch they had up on Levi.com when they had the 40% off going..

Then they threw the new style up.

Glad I was able to get that pair. Been wearing the first pair I copped now, for the last 2 months. They're breaking in QUICK, with good wear already.

I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple days.

I've owned PLENTY of regular 'ol Mexican made STF's. Although the selvage ones are still made in Mexico, there's a distinct difference in the quality and color of the denim on these selvages.

It's not $300 heavy Japanese slub, but for $60 (on sale) they're pretty fuckin nice.

They start to look cool, markymethod! Keep on rocking them hard.

What's the story of the damage next to the left back pocket? Unusual place for a hole. Any chance of a detail shot?

Hey markymethod, did your 501's get a hole in the crotch? I've only wore mine for about 4 months straight with no wash or soak and they started to develop a hole, so much for quality.

Crotch damage, unfortunately, is a classic phenomenon with dry denim when worn long without a wash. It says nothing about the quality-I practically own no jeans (dry denim that is) without crotch damage after a couple months worth of wearing. This includes some very pricey jeans, against which 501s will look like bargain items. Have them repaired and look upon that as personalisation and individuality/development of your jeans.

thanks guys... that hole is super random, not sure what happened there either lol. my first year was on and off, but when I began my second year it was sort of a resolution to wear em as much as possible. I actually break dance in them, which is twice a week. and no there is no crotch blow. no need to retire em now, gonna continue to work em hard.

detail shot of the hole:

14xm7mr.jpg

Crotch damage, unfortunately, is a classic phenomenon with dry denim when worn long without a wash. It says nothing about the quality-I practically own no jeans (dry denim that is) without crotch damage after a couple months worth of wearing. This includes some very pricey jeans, against which 501s will look like bargain items. Have them repaired and look upon that as personalisation and individuality/development of your jeans.

Will take into consideration. I guess I can just patch it up a bit, but dam I keep staring at it lol. So washing before the hole starts to develop will slow down the process? My friends say it will soften it so it won't rub as tough.

Yes, I've been explained (since I found it not easy to believe, a number of times, actually), by people in the denim industry -thus, they should know- that washing alters the structure of the fabric and makes it more flexible.

With a pair of raw jeans, after all, the first wash also means the "dry crocking" phase of the denim is finished for good, but it's apparently not only the color and fading properties, but also the proneness for crotch damage that is affected, in the latter case, positively.

Whether or not to repair before a wash only you can judge, a machine wash could well enlarge the rip somewhat. If you opt for repair before the first wash, ideally use dry denim for the repair, since otherwise you'll get different shrinking patterns for the jeans and the repair patch.

Not really all easy, huh? Jeans have that scientific side to them - somehow, for me, it only adds to their fascination.

hey this is my first ever 501 stf, got the verdes 31 x 38 wish they made 30 x 38, next time I'll try 30 x 36 or maybe even 29 x 36. Here they are @ 2 weeks, did a warm soak and hang dry when I first got them. Had tried some gap selvage first but didn't like the fit too much.

5381050237_0a6b157f9e.jpg5381655006_e17915f95c.jpg

5381049265_e59e053662.jpg5381654252_02e5b50f07.jpg