Good New

englandmj7

also co-sign on kitano's take on zatoichi

the movie was a lot of fun and an interesting departure if you've watched the old movies

also not new but definitely see grave of the fireflies if you've not

i'm not too keen on crying but i was in pieces by the end of that one

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any thoughts on lady vengeance?

i've been meaning to see it but i'm wondering if it's worth going out of my way to watch right now

def. go watch it, if you are a PCW fan....just go out and buy the dvd...cause you wont regret it...PCW is probably one of the best directors in korea right now....his worst films are better than alot of k-directors best films...

i actually enjoyed lady vengeance a tiny bit better than oldboy...but they are pretty even to me...

its a bit slower than oldboy, and not as action packed....but its such an awesome film...

lots of great transistions and stuff...something he is good at...

this is not a new release..came out a couple years back...

http://www.subwaycinema.com/stgp/

save the green planet....one of my favorite korean films...with one of my favorite korean actors..

all the info is on that site....i watched it expecting a comedy...but it was so much more..it pretty much covers almost every genre (comedy, romance, drama, scifi, action, etc...) and the film covers each genre pretty well...

also check out the"truth" section on the site..pretty funny

Actually Netflix has some issues, I recently canceled after finding out about some of their policies. This site explains it well http://www.manuelsweb.com/netflix.htm. But they have this "throttling" thing b/c they lose money on people who rent heavily. They more often you rent and return movies, the longer and longer they take to send you new ones. I didn't think about it until I read that site and noticed that it was happening to me, and I was only renting about 2 movies per week. Go for that greencine service or even blockbuster online, at least with that you get 2 store rentals per month when you don't feel like waiting for the mail. And if you complain about blockbuster's online selection, then you need to stop being so indie and watch normal movies.

has anyone mentioned dogville? i just watched it and really enjoyed it.

it made me hate rednecks, but then i felt a desire to be a dogville citizen. if i get to treat nicole kidman like that, im in.

I saw "Cache" today. Sucked ass. What a French film, and I mean that in the most pejorative way.

sounds like someone needs all his loose ends tied up neatly for him...

j/k

it was, however, the best movie i've seen thus far this year. (also, haneke's not french, he's austrian.)

seriously, min, reading this might help you put things together a bit (don't read this if you haven't seen the movie): http://www.plume-noire.com/movies/reviews/hidden.html

sounds like someone needs all his loose ends tied up neatly for him...

seriously, min, reading this might help you put things together a bit (don't read this if you haven't seen the movie): http://www.plume-noire.com/movies/reviews/hidden.html

Ha. No, it wasn't the "loose ends" that bothered me, it was the pointlessness of so much of the film... so many scenes were unnecessary; even the voyeur tapes themselves were pretty much unnecessary, given the "point" of the film. Nor did I find the movie 'suspenseful' in the least. I really could not have cared less about the French and Algerian situation/tension/history prior to seeing Cache, and my opinion was unchanged after seeing the film.

Is Ken Park already out? It's been banned for a while but was supposed to be released at some point. Did you see the completely unedited version?

I downloaded Ken Park a long time ago on Kazaa. Had to wait about a week to download that sucker. If you are into Larry Clark films, check out the International Center for Photography exhibit on 43rd Street and Ave of the Americas. It features a lot of stuff from Tulsa, Perfect Childhood, and Skaters, which is connected with his movie, Kids.

Anyone seen his new movie called Wassup Rockers?

I just saw Wassup Rockers early this afternoon. Go see it if you haven't! It's real funny shit!!

Ha. No, it wasn't the "loose ends" that bothered me, it was the pointlessness of so much of the film... so many scenes were unnecessary; even the voyeur tapes themselves were pretty much unnecessary, given the "point" of the film. Nor did I find the movie 'suspenseful' in the least. I really could not have cared less about the French and Algerian situation/tension/history prior to seeing Cache, and my opinion was unchanged after seeing the film.

we'll have to agree to disagree, i guess :)

re: the french/algerian situation - have you seen the battle of algiers? i saw it just before the abu ghraib photos were released a few years ago, which was a little unreal...

also co-sign on kitano's take on zatoichi

the movie was a lot of fun and an interesting departure if you've watched the old movies

also not new but definitely see grave of the fireflies if you've not

i'm not too keen on crying but i was in pieces by the end of that one

good taste, almond crush.

my favorite takeshi movie is "hanabi" ("fireworks"), but i like everything he's done, including zatoichi. wow, you've seen the original zatoichi movies? those are great, huh?

also, grave of the fireflies is the saddest movie i've ever seen. saw it when i was a kid and cried throughout the whole thing. to this day, i can't watch it again. the last scene where they are watching modern tokyo from the bench is so haunting....

good taste, almond crush.

my favorite takeshi movie is "hanabi" ("fireworks"), but i like everything he's done, including zatoichi. wow, you've seen the original zatoichi movies? those are great, huh?

also, grave of the fireflies is the saddest movie i've ever seen. saw it when i was a kid and cried throughout the whole thing. to this day, i can't watch it again. the last scene where they are watching modern tokyo from the bench is so haunting....

is fireflies the one with the little girl and the war? i happened to watch that 7 times, and each time except the first, i never really meant to watch it. it always just happened to be there.

miz grave of the fireflies definitely more moving than any movie i've ever seen

every few years i find myself watching it at night in the summertime

i'd be hard pressed to decide between sonatine and hanabi as my favorite

sonatine was the first of his movies i'd ever seen so i've got a bit of a sentimental attachment to it

i really liked the old zatoichi movies, and i loved takeshi's take on it because it turned everything on its head a bit, you know?

have you seen takeshis' yet?

on a bit of a tangent, have you heard of rinko kawauchi?

she's a photographer and one of her books is titled hanabi

i really like her stuff and i wonder if there are any other fans on supertalk

grave of the fireflies was amazing...

my mom was like "what the hell...why are you buying a cartoon for ages 3 and up"

and after she watched it with me...she realized why i bought it =)

it was probably the first animated film i ever cried in...and so many times too...there are just too many sad scenes..

but the saddest for me was when his sister, i think had like rocks or somethng and she said it was riceballs..

i dunno..the whole movie is pretty depressing, but its so good..

I just watched "The Return" and was not impressed. I mean, it was a decent film, but I don't think it was as great as mentioned. The acting and cinematography were fairly good, but it tried way to hard to be "powerful." I don't really want to elaborate or argue about it (sorry film buffs) but I will say it was just as pointless and illogical as "High Tension" for instance. It is one of those movies that has a ridiculous "twist" at the end that is only seen as powerful by overly "deep" hippie types, which I assume are the same people who might think the plastic bag floating in the wind in "American Beauty" truly was the most beautiful thing in the world..... If you love interpreting things, I could make a poop sculpture which I could debate with you for hours.

I also understand that it was not a typical hollywood cookie cutter movie and that part of the whole point is that the ending is open to interpretation, which often times works out great, I just don't like the way the movie lead you into it. Definitely one of those movies that the ending ruined all 2 hours in the span of 5 minutes, which I have only seen happen a handful of times.......

Squid and the Whale - must see, especially if you grew up in the 80s, and/or spent lots of time around academic types, and/or have divorced parents. Jeff Daniels, probably at his best.

I third this reccomendation. Jeff Daniels was great and so was the boy who played the younger son.

Now Syriana on the other hand, what a piss poor excuse for a shitty film. I am not talking about the underlying idea or the acting, but rather the lack of continuity and the horrible switching from one sub-story to another, it was appalling to say the least.

I wouldn't say "appalling," but certainly disappointing. Much wasted potential here.

me and you and everyone we know.

Mixed feeling on this one. Mostly because of Ms. Jesperson; I found her character hard to believe. Interesting though and maybe worth it if only because I learned this: ))<>((

I would also like to second the reccomendation of Capote.

As far as movies that have not been mentioned, I think Broken Flowers should be on the list. Nothing earth shattering but very likeable, and I'm always suprised by how much I enjoy seeing Bill Murray on screen. Another one I just saw is American Splendor with Paul Giamatti playing Harvey Pekar. Very funny and great acting by Giamatti.

*sorry about not putting the writers' names in the quotes, I messed up my copying and pasting