PBJ AI-001 compared to 45rpm Jomon

john11f

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one that looks at the pics of the Jomons and doesn't see anything special? I've been wanting to love them for a long time, but I don't even see a discernable difference between them and say... the Sorahiko's. At least as far as the denim is concerned.

Is it something more apparent when seen in person?

I agree regarding the stitching on the AI, on the inner leg at least. Its pretty thick :P I've gotten used to it though.

Edited by PG2G on Jun 15, 2006 at 10:07 PM

--- Original message by PG2G on Jun 15, 2006 10:05 PM

that's why you shouldn't buy expensive jeans without seeing them in person, but except for the color and fit and quality there's nothing that stands out at first. they're very expensive and i don't think most people should get them.

Edited by asfberg on Jun 16, 2006 at 06:32 AM

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to post a topic like this and someone beat me to it.

I fell in love with the Samurai S510XX-AI but definitely not an easy denim to find due to its limited production. But the samurai's are definitely a lot flashier in terms of its details. the PBJ looks very similar but not as streaky and very nice quality.

I have not tried on either pair, but I'm sure they'll fit decently. I've tried on the jomons, very flattering fit and high rise, however the denim seems a lot lighter (weight) and darker, but i can't really discern the quality since its emphasis is the dying process using natural indigo, but I don't think the denim is like the S510XX-AI or the PBJ the weaving is done differently. personally if i was to shell out money for jeans, i'd rather get the PBJ or the S510XX-AI, but the jomons are definitely on my wishlist.

Edited by weiyung on Jun 16, 2006 at 06:40 AM

Quote:

actually, i think another pair worth noting is the burgus plus natural indigo jeans by hinoya, I really like the simplicity, quality and the back pocket stiching. Forget who else make an identical pair, it was mentioned awhile ago.

--- Original message by weiyung on Jun 16, 2006 06:48 AM

maruni

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/

haha you know what's funny

i have the ai-001, jomons, and the samurai's.

but the samurai's are 36 and i can't wear them. i'm not sure if i still have them though as they may have been lost by fucking china post- i won't find out til i get home to the states i guess. i need to sell them if i still have them though.

anyhow. i don't really think the pbj's are as loud as you make them out to be. sure they're different and the stitching makes them a bit noticeable. but a normal person won't glance at your jeans and be like oh my god what the fuck.

jomons and the pbj's are very different in fit and in style. jomons are much more fitted and classic - while i guess the pbj's are relaxed and more "experimental"?

need goods from japan? email me. getting goods to you before your rice gets cold.

xcrx has a point, no one would notice the pure blue stitching on the AI's

i did though, and that's what made me uncomfortable

i would still own them, but mostly to have as an example for the denim (and maybe one day get over the stitching)

and why i didn't say it before i have no idea, but if anyone can find a pair of samurai S510XX-AI at this point it would be xcoldricex

the man deserves some respect

Interesting question. Anyone who has read my love letter posts to the PBJs will know which one I'd pick but here is my comparison: I have seen/touched both but only have tried on the Jomons. The fit is very nice. Not too slim but snug. I would agree with the post-er about fitting the typical asian boy legs. I have tried most of 45rpm's cuts -- BC4000, Sorahiko, Umi (sp?) and Jomons and the Jomons fit best. To answer the question someone posted above -- NO they do not look/feel/fit significantly better than the Sorahikos to justify the extra cost. Maybe years down the line they will age better, I don't know, but it is my impression that they are basically Sorahikos with better quality materia(cotton/indigo blah blah etc.) Compared to the PBJs, I think they would fit a slimmer body better. However there is no competition in the denim department. PBJ's denim is the most gorgeous in terms of texture and COLOR. It is a brilliant blue, and the blue in the lighter faded parts almost looks cobalt. I dont' think it is at all outrageous. They are noticeably different than typical denim if you give it a second glance but I don't think they are at the level of crazy distressing/rips/embroidery (ie: don't stand that much in public).

Quote:

i would still own them, but mostly to have as an example for the denim (and maybe one day get over the stitching)

--- Original message by asfberg on Jun 16, 2006 10:42 AM

Yes, that's how i see the PBJ AI also. After you've gotten you're everyday dry's it's nice to have something different and interesting. How many pairs of SD, Eternals 66 repros can you have?.....wait don't answer that.

Edited by digital_denim on Jun 16, 2006 at 03:26 PM

Quote:

Interesting question. Anyone who has read my love letter posts to the PBJs will know which one I'd pick but here is my comparison: I have seen/touched both but only have tried on the Jomons. The fit is very nice. Not too slim but snug. I would agree with the post-er about fitting the typical asian boy legs. I have tried most of 45rpm's cuts -- BC4000, Sorahiko, Umi (sp?) and Jomons and the Jomons fit best. To answer the question someone posted above -- NO they do not look/feel/fit significantly better than the Sorahikos to justify the extra cost. Maybe years down the line they will age better, I don't know, but it is my impression that they are basically Sorahikos with better quality materia(cotton/indigo blah blah etc.) Compared to the PBJs, I think they would fit a slimmer body better. However there is no competition in the denim department. PBJ's denim is the most gorgeous in terms of texture and COLOR. It is a brilliant blue, and the blue in the lighter faded parts almost looks cobalt. I dont' think it is at all outrageous. They are noticeably different than typical denim if you give it a second glance but I don't think they are at the level of crazy distressing/rips/embroidery (ie: don't stand that much in public).

--- Original message by shinobi2000 on Jun 16, 2006 03:16 PM

exactly what he said.

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

shinobi, you mean the jomons do not fit/look/feel significantly better than the ai-001s? the sorahikos are definitely different than the ai-001s.

you might have meant that the jomons do not justify the extra $$$ to justify the difference from the sorahikos. in which case, it's definitely the natural indigo that makes it more expensive.

in my opinion, the ai-001 is the best i've seen. although i'd be interested to see the s510x-ai and the s0500xx (although i think these are made of synthetic).

asfberg, maybe you can post pics of your s0500xx?

I just reread my sentence and I see how it could have been misread -- yes, I was answering the question about Jomons vs Sorahikos and the "justify the cost" part was about how the Jomons are considerably more expensive than the Sorahikos. I'm not saying 45rpm is unfairly pricing their jean; hen you read through what they're made of and how the Jomons are made, you can kinda argue the price. As far as what other people see however, they look almost just like the Sorahikos and I feel that the price is just for you personally to know that you are wearing kick ass quality jeans. Then again they may fade very differently from the Sorahikos, I don't claim to know that.

"Then again they may fade very differently from the Sorahikos, I don't claim to know that."

I'm sure they will. But I believe natural indigo is quite stubborn and you won't achieve much fading in a short period of time. Jomons could be a long term project for someone who would want the "distress your own jeans" quality.

Same goes with other natural indigo dyed jeans. I haven't even seen any noticeable difference in color on my edo ais except the back part, probably has faded a bit due to sitting. It's turning into a bit more greenich color. at first, it's just like a tint over the blue shade but now they are more pronounced.

Sorahikos will be hard to break in also. But I have acouple of pairs that are in the raw or one wash state. It's hard to wear all of them out and get the fading/constrast i want.

Oh well, life of a D.A. candidate...

Boy, it will take a long time before I get to scratch these AI's. Supper slubby. But I'm quite confident that it's nice as it is with the fabulous indigo color.

This pair will be my jeans for special ocassions and I won't ruch trying to distress it.

The ONIs will do for now...

I own a pair of AI-001s and out of curiosity I when into the SoHo 45 rpm store this weekend and tried on a pair of Jomons. The Jomon and the AI-001's are conceptually very different jeans. I think that it is safe to say that at $600 to $1000 per pair neither are intended as workwear. Rather they both strive to acheive a very different ideal.

The Jomons, in my opinion, are about purity. Purity in the raw material, organic Zimbabwe cotton, and natural, organinc indigo dye. The demin is not partcularly slubby. The Samurai's I tried on half and hour later at BIG, were considerably more so. The cut is somewhat progressive in it's slimness. The fit is beautiful. The color is a pure blue dark inky blue. The stiching is very simple. In total they are a beautifully executed pair of jeans that do not call alot of attention to themselves, but rather ooze in subtlety.

The AI-001's seem to be much more elemental in their approach. THe idea about what jeans are seems to have been broken down in to fabric, stitching and fit. The focus seems to be on exagreating aspects of the certain elements in effort to create unique garment. The demin is to not just slubby, but is so slubby and irregular that it almost has the appreance of being "handmade". Similarly, the stiching in it's coarseness also invokes the idea that this is what jeans might look like if they had been stitched by hand. The fit and cut, at least on my frame is much more relaxed than the other jeans that I own. However with the looser fit, the drape of the fabric is beautiful. I'm not so sure tha it would work as well in a tight fitting jean.

Both of these jeans are gorgeous and would make an extra-ordinary addition to anyone's collection. That being said I am still wrestling with finding a place of my AI-001's in my own collection as I tend to not own looser fitting jeans. I'm thinking of selling, for those who might be interested, please PM.

Yeah, I've been having the hardest time even getting creases in these bad boys :P And they are pretty tight on me in the upper leg, as you can see in the pic. Haven't put much work into them yet though.

The rise is a bit lower than a standard repro, so they sit sit comfortably below my waist.

I'm 6', with inseem just under 33". Mine are plenty long even after having them hemmed at PBJ to 33.5".

THe Jomons are slightly higher in rise more like my Sorahiko's,.

PG2G, Pauken I think we all have the same frame and height. I'm 6 ft and weigh 180lbs. I have a size 34 ai's and they seem to be just right. i understand what PG2G mean when he says it sometimes look like it's a tad short. i haven't worn mine much yet but I think the length is just right.

The 34s are just about my size and it's a good motivation for me not to gain more weight. with the number of jeans in my collection, it's a pity not to be able to wear them.