Supermusic: Soundtrack To Your Day

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9d2bb220dca032258fa26010.L.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante's third solo album isn't far removed from a demo. Taking the idea of a solo album literally, Frusciante is responsible for everything here, playing guitar over drum machines and adding occasional keyboards to the 15 songs, à la Bill Callahan's excellent Smog. The opener "Going Inside" offers promise that To Record will be an entertaining ride thanks to Frusciante's characteristically incandescent fretwork. The project is a little one-dimensional, however, hampered as it is by Frusciante's sub-J. Mascis yelp. --Mike Pattenden

How is it that a guitarist for one of the world's funkiest bands can create such a masterpiece of music so far removed from anything the Red Hot Chili Peppers have or will ever create? I suppose locking oneself in a room with the requisite instruments and kicking one's opiated ways will do it everytime. Tracks such as "Going Inside", "Someone's" and "Remain" sound oddly like late model Depeche Mode recorded on a Mississippi cotton plantation. The dirty yet lively guitar work coupled with agitated syncopations makes for one of the most unique releases I have ever purchased. I could only compare it to Red Red Meat or Califone if forced to put it in a tight little package of comparison, but neither does justice to the brilliance of this album. John's sparse yet impactful lyrics should strike a resonant chord in the hearts of music fans anywhere. Having been a devout follower of the RHCPs---trekking across the entire U.S. in 1985 to see them every single night, I assure you that this is not another RHCP album nor an indication of the next one. With that said, RHCP fans beware---if you love music, this is the album for you. If you want Californication 2, this isn't it. Quite simply, a brilliant record from beginning to end.

wasting time on youtube

nina hagen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1CqFY66yM&mode=related&search=

alien sex fiend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld2wADoSYrc

todays productivity rating 0/10

Easily one of my favorite Alien Sex Fiend tracks, along with 'Dead and Buried'.

Currently, I'm gushing juices over

Bat for Lashes' Fur & Gold.

After Kate Bush's comeback album

was certified boring, I've been after

a hot chick making dark psych music.

Bat for Lashes easily exceeded my

expectations- the album's a keeper

for many, many years to come.

i like ^ just watched her/their cover of im on fire

....thoughts on cat power?....

damn im going shopping now just watched sarah... must buy new music...and its work friendly

i never really got into cat power too much, the over-emotional, breaking down crying at shows thing just seemed a little bit too much for me to vibe with.

the album is really, really, really, really great. i suggest you head on over and listen to some more sound clips at the site, www.batforlashes.co.uk. 'Horse and I' is a brilliant song to open with.

the live version of 'Sarah' is almost completely different from the album version; both are excellent. the album version trades out the shaman stomp for a slithery bassline and stripped-down jazz beat. the jagged 4AD guitar atmosphere is still laid on, though a bit more sparingly. and the backup vocals have a touch more of the 50's girl group vibe. the fact that i could spend this much space describing the nuances of one song is kind of indicative of how awesome the whole thing is overall.