BS United Oni Denim Pics

john11f

crossed from evo thread:

Oni Blue

6 Months

worn 5 days a week

2 washes

great jeans that didn't show much wear at all for a few months but are starting to wear in quite nicely. the last wash really brought out the slubbiness. will probably soak from here on out for the most part instead of washing because all the shrinkage is gone and i want to retain color as much as possible.

DSC_030816.jpg

DSC_030917.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oni Blue sized down 2 are my new favorite jeans. Just got mine in the mail and they are stunning. I figured the denim would make them look a bit more immediately special or different than most jeans we talk about here, so I went with the Oni-vedge (back pocket white selvedge arc) as I figured that would emphasize this look, sort of. Very glad I did. There's definitely nothing subtle about the Oni's approach, these things demand your attention. I don't even care if these never fades, they're gorgeous right from the start.

The denim, the size, the cut, the fit, the hem width, the stacking... all comes together perfect for me personally. I'm especially glad they don't stack in a way similar to my Sams (Zero denim) which often creates a bulge around the knee (I realize this will go away with time and wear/wash, but I fade my denims slow, so...). I prefer the way the Oni's stack at the bottom half of the leg beneath the knee and no further. Looks more relaxed. Surely because of the slightly lighter denim... The feel of the denim is still just as rough in raw state as both my Sams, though.

Basically I'm saying... that's it, game over, just bury me in these. From here on it's all gonna be for the purpose of variation, but I don't think I'll ever top these.

Sorry no fit pics, might be able to provide later. Just some early impressions from someone who's never seen a pair of Oni up close before.

• 2 weeks later...

i once heard that oni's are made by an old japanese denim master, and once he dies, so will the brand. do any of you oni heads know of anything to validate/vilify this rumor? i was thinking about the oni-vedge, now they seem that much more tempting...

question. im selling a pair of size 29 oni blues, raw waist size 32. will these stretch to a 32 after soak and wear? i dont know how easy these are to stretch as ive never dealt with onis before

question. im selling a pair of size 29 oni blues, raw waist size 32. will these stretch to a 32 after soak and wear? i dont know how easy these are to stretch as ive never dealt with onis before

definitely. The loose weave really stretches... my 32's (34.5) raw streched out to just about a 36.

• 3 weeks later...

back-1.jpg

How to get honeycombs like this is still a puzzle for me...:)

I feel the same way, ha. None of my other jeans really have honeycombs like that. I think it has to do with how sometimes I sag them a bit and sometimes I wear them up high, so thats why they extend so far up and down. Another thing is that the looseness of denim weave makes for really tight creases. Finally, I starched them a fair amount for the first 6 months or so, plus I spend most of my day sitting in desks at school with my knees bent.

• 3 weeks later...
Where the hell are all the worn pic's of the Oni Shoai's 19oz Natural Indigos that everyone went crazy about???

Nearly one year since emaze asked, so where are the Shoai pics (actually 1 1/2 plus years since everyone got hyped up on them)? This thread has a load of great Oni Blue pics but that's it.

I just dont wear mine that often. They're so fucking stubborn and they shrunk WAY more than I expected so they're much tighter than I'd like which means they leave ugly marks on my legs from the slubs heh...

I also notice nobody posted any wear pix of the KMW 1950 purple selvage jeans which were almost identical denim.

got a pair of the 2006 limited production from a trade . i normally fit into most japanese 32s [mid-rise]. on jeans like the PBJs [both 005bk & 007], i can actually squeeze into a 31 coz i have rather slenderer thighs.

i've read [this] thread front to back and the consensus that i got was that the Oni denim [particularly the blue] stretches a ton after multiple washes. my experience with slubby, loose weaved denim [as w/PBJs] also reinforced that notion. other than the blue, there weren't anything much written about Oni anywhere... muchless shoai. i really thought i lucked out when i got possession of the shoai. the actual waist after a cold soak was 31. i truly believed that i could slowly stretch them out to about 32-33. i was dead wrong. these are like kevlar armor.

how many washes have they gone through, guys? will they ever get softer? i know they won't fade like most, but that is, for me, the beauty and uniqueness of it. thanx for the valuable input, guys! i've been holding on to mine hoping that i'd fit me 1 day, but i think it's time to accept defeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the purple selvage blue-fit shoai from BiG over thanksgiving (20% black friday discount, what what).I'm 6'3, 175lbs, true waist 33.5 so I went with the sz. 32 - they fit great but look a bit awkward due to the extreme rigidity.

This denim is ridiculous and awesome. Will post fit pics once they start falling a bit more naturally.

have you soaked them yet. if yes, how's the waist so far? too tight or just ok? i know there's not a lot of interest here on this kind of denim cuz a lot of the kids want the quick fades... plus these are f-ing indecently priced for most ppl, even at a 20% discount.

no one has ever posted an evo just yet, everyone's got ADD when it comes to breaking these fuckers. so hope you'd be able to show us the way. [for me] in particular, since mine is "on ice" right now, i'd be nice to know how much they'd actually stretch out. good luck and enjoy your pair.

I bought the size 31 Shoai last weekend from BIG too. I wanted that sze 32 Stacks!

I've done a 10 minute cold soak and so far they have stretched a good deal.

Stacks, want to trade? Mine are hemmed to a 35" inseam.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought the size 31 Shoai last weekend from BIG too. I wanted that sze 32 Stacks!

I've done a 10 minute cold soak and so far they have stretched a good deal.

Stacks, want to trade? Mine are hemmed to a 35" inseam.

Sorry bud, I'm all legs can't rock hemmed jeans.

have you soaked them yet. if yes, how's the waist so far? too tight or just ok? i know there's not a lot of interest here on this kind of denim cuz a lot of the kids want the quick fades... plus these are f-ing indecently priced for most ppl, even at a 20% discount.

no one has ever posted an evo just yet, everyone's got ADD when it comes to breaking these fuckers. so hope you'd be able to show us the way. [for me] in particular, since mine is "on ice" right now, i'd be nice to know how much they'd actually stretch out. good luck and enjoy your pair.

I have hot-soaked these twice (hang dried) to get all the shrink out. The waist fits good on me, I can do measurements tomorrow but I factored in the shrink when buying. I do have to admit though, I got this sekret project I've been working on thats making me want to put these on hold, but I'll try my best to stay the course.

As people already stated, these are gonna be a mother to break in.

Fit pics please. I am curious as to how different the color is to last years run. Thanks.

Expect some tomorrow.

Here's 2 pics I took to try and get color right. Sorry, no fit-pic today, never got a chance with good lighting.

47645064pl6.jpg

Indigo Comparison:

85373890ff5.jpg

Oni Shoai (natural indigo), Samurai S0505XX (synthetic indigo), Samurai S510XX AI-N (natural indigo)