Designer Suits

Konfucius

I currently have three suits. Custome National (Two button black), Dior Homme (One button black), and Missoni (Three button pin-stripe dark blue). I would agree that the couture houses aren't as well made. However, I'm tend to be more fashiony and place a higher priority on fit/cut rather than construction and materials, ergo my suit choices. However, Hugo Boss is shit. The cuts aren't flattering at all, and I read an article how all the parent company has in recent years been sub-contracting their suits to inferior factories, thus the quality has gone down significantly, alienating their core European customers, while the prices have remained the same. Same goes for Prada.

Falme, I recently have been very taken by the Belvests, especially this shorter two button gray type. What are the price points for Belvest in the states? Once my bonus for the year comes in, this will be my first purchase.

039.jpg

if youve got the money, fly your private plane to the row and go bespoke.

if your like the rest of us superfuture bums, i suggest buying a quality (brioni, kiton, oxxford, canali) suit on ebay. i really really like the brioni fit, and if your into the fashionista super slim suit look, i suggest thom brown. i heard that dior homme isnt really consistent with quality, but they have nice fits. or you could just get a tailor to fit you super slim. try to avoid the "name brands" and go with the quality companies i mentioned above.

and though ive never tried boss, i heard from lots of people that theyre shit. prada is even worse. please dont buy prada.

go to askandyaboutclothes.com

I don't think Brioni is really "designer."

I've come really close to buying Dior Homme and Costume National suits, but ultimately, I can't imagine myself wearing them in five years. I would probably place Thom Brown a lot closer to those two than to Brioni or Kiton etc.

I have a boss (heavier material, blue, for winter) and a corneliani (lighter, brown). I don't know why everyone's ripping on boss, the suit of theirs I have is nice, but then the place I bought it has their own taylor so they "fixed it up" to fit me better when I bought it. I think that getting your suit touched up by a good tailor is always a smart move, anyway, and it's not expensive in Moscow so I just get all my clothes done there %)

Quote:

if youve got the money, fly your private plane to the row and go bespoke.

if your like the rest of us superfuture bums, i suggest buying a quality (brioni, kiton, oxxford, canali) suit on ebay. i really really like the brioni fit, and if your into the fashionista super slim suit look, i suggest thom brown. i heard that dior homme isnt really consistent with quality, but they have nice fits. or you could just get a tailor to fit you super slim. try to avoid the "name brands" and go with the quality companies i mentioned above.

and though ive never tried boss, i heard from lots of people that theyre shit. prada is even worse. please dont buy prada.

go to askandyaboutclothes.com

--- Original message by red on May 28, 2006 05:59 AM

I don't feel comfortable buying a suit that I haven't put on.

One of my friends has a Zegna suit.. it looked pretty nice to me. Any input on DKNY and the sort?

天上天下唯我独尊

i guess i can understand. i had the same fear when buying off ebay, but i guess i got lucky. zegna is actually areally good company. ask for where he got it and get yourself one of those.

never tried dkny either.

Quote:

dont you almost always have to get your suit tailored after purchasing one?

--- Original message by international on May 28, 2006 03:56 PM

no, if you buy one with a correct fit. I'd guess the inseam of the pants is the most usual thing that needs to be altered, other than that you dont have to do anything if you find a good fit.

I have two Hugo suits and one Corneliani, I had one the Hugos slimmed down a bit and the pants on the Corneliani were shortened. apart from that I like the fits.

I have one Pal Zileri, a Cerrutti 1881 and a skinny black Jasper Conran. The Pal Zileri is by far the best for cut, fit and quality. As a rule any off the peg designer suit is going to need some alteration as they are constructed to the cutter's idea of what is the average shape and size of the potential wearer. The main thing to look for is the fit at the shoulders and the collar, everything else can be altered by a good tailor. the best advice I ever had was to ignore the label and look at the fabric and the fit in those two places and use that as your guide.

As everyone said before, your going to sacrifice quality for the name brand if you buy designer. Prada, Boss, etc. are not worth it at all.

Going bespoke is the best route. Fit, quality, etc. will be top notch.

Check out Huntsman, Kilgour, Gieves and Hawkes, etc.

Kilgour makes entry level bespoke suits priced at around 1500-2000 the last time I checked.

Not too sure about the price range, but I remember it was under 2,500

Depht...

I've a got a J. Lindberg and a Issey Miyake. Both fit great. The Lindberg is from a couple of season's ago, black /green pinstripe an liner with a slim fit pant. The Miyake I just picked up at Off Saks for $200!!! The jacket needs tailored, but pants are fire!

BOOZE.BROADS.HOT RODS.

Quote:

Yup. 200 for Issey! It was on the clearance rack plus 25% off designer days sale or somehting like that. I'll post pics once it tailored a lookin' just right!

--- Original message by flatblack on May 31, 2006 01:13 PM

Dude. I hate you. Really, I do. I never have luck at Off 5th :(