the WALKING DEAD Comics/AMC TV Series

Dom

As a huge fan of the comics, I have to say I wasn't blown away by this first season. I'm really looking forward to the new writers, hopefully they can put breathe a little more life into the series. Most TV shows don't hit their stride until the second or third season, so I guess there's still hope.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's odd that Jenner didn't tell them that he intended to kill them all in a quick fire until the last moment

you could tell that they were gonna get rid of Jacqui somehow, just like they got rid of Morales. they were like the least developed characters.

also, i hate the constant look on Andrea's face

I want to see what they do with Merle in the next season. Some say that his absence in the last episodes are a plot-hole, but I agree with the theory that he trucked the zombies into the campsite.

For those who have read the comics, I can imagine the perfect role for Merle in future episodes...

Also, for the other comic nerds: Was anyone disappointed that they partially revealed the origin of the zombie plague? I was kind of hoping they would keep that a secret until the very end of the comic, similar to Y: The Last Man.

I'm not sure if it's been talked about here, but after reading around I'm pretty sure Merle is going to pop up as the Governor in the next season.

That was my thought. To be honest, I think they should wait until the Season 2 Finale. The writers should have plenty to work with next season and build up to that revelation.

• 7 months later...

Man I love zombies and TV, and I don't know how you guys can watch this show. Even watching that trailer pissed me off.

Here's how I'd fix it:

*Instead of the characters splitting up because they are sad, kill them off

*Have more action than tepid character development: for example, that scene where they notice a horde of zombies on the freeway? Don't have them hide under cars. Get some people to run, have others shoot, and still others run them over with trucks and whatnot.

*Be honest with yourself: you have a golden opportunity to start again. It makes sense that old people and dumb, scaredy cat women would die off in a zombie apocalypse. Kill off everyone but the hick, the azn, the main cop, and his son. Have them meet some female characters who deserve to survive the apocalypse.

* Let the characters have some more scenes of them having fun in a lawless world. "Oh wow that guy drove a car fast". How about people doing drugs and shooting stuff? Or driving to the richest suburbs of Georgia to raid the mansions's wine cellars. Stuff like that

* For that matter, more shooting in general. Your channel has a show called Breaking Bad on it. Watch it, and learn how dark you can be. Stress makes people compromise their morality.

* Write better dialogue.

*Maybe write off the last couple episodes of season one as being "all a dream", because they sucked ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna take a late pass on this, but I hadn't seen it mentioned on this board.

Frank Darabont, the producer of The Walking Dead, was fired sometime in July. Apparently the executives at AMC have made significant budget cuts to season 2, even while season 1 was still on the air last year. I wonder what'll come of this.

Full article:

http://screenrant.com/walking-dead-frank-darabont-amc-aco-127783/

• 2 months later...

So I watched the first episode of the second season today. And even though it was better than the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season, I still think I'm done with the show. Anyone who read the comic want to convince me otherwise?

A damn shame too, because I loved the pilot and the first episodes.

So I watched the first episode of the second season today. And even though it was better than the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season, I still think I'm done with the show. Anyone who read the comic want to convince me otherwise?

A damn shame too, because I loved the pilot and the first episodes.

I've only watched the show on TV (no DVD), so I don't know if it's the show itself or the commercials that are the problem, but to me they aren't able to find a good pace. In season one it was the in and out of Atlanta that slowed things down, and with episode 2.1 it was the woods. It's like the location sucks them in and the story goes no where. Way too much time was devoted to the search to Sophia. I'd have preferred that rather than the episode ending with Carl getting shot, that the story had moved along enough to have ended with them arriving at Hershel's farm. I'm going to give it two more weeks, and then jump ship if things haven't improved. Even the comic has been pretty uninteresting the past eight or nine issues. May stop buying the monthlies, and just pick up two TPBs a year.

Man I love zombies and TV, and I don't know how you guys can watch this show. Even watching that trailer pissed me off.

Here's how I'd fix it:

*Instead of the characters splitting up because they are sad, kill them off

*Have more action than tepid character development: for example, that scene where they notice a horde of zombies on the freeway? Don't have them hide under cars. Get some people to run, have others shoot, and still others run them over with trucks and whatnot.

*Be honest with yourself: you have a golden opportunity to start again. It makes sense that old people and dumb, scaredy cat women would die off in a zombie apocalypse. Kill off everyone but the hick, the azn, the main cop, and his son. Have them meet some female characters who deserve to survive the apocalypse.

* Let the characters have some more scenes of them having fun in a lawless world. "Oh wow that guy drove a car fast". How about people doing drugs and shooting stuff? Or driving to the richest suburbs of Georgia to raid the mansions's wine cellars. Stuff like that

* For that matter, more shooting in general. Your channel has a show called Breaking Bad on it. Watch it, and learn how dark you can be. Stress makes people compromise their morality.

* Write better dialogue.

*Maybe write off the last couple episodes of season one as being "all a dream", because they sucked ass.

I know this post is old, but I really don't agree with most of this. I don't want more shooting or more stupid action shit. The hiding under the cars was perfect imo. Breaking Bad's action was always good because it stood the fuck out. If Walter was blasting away at everyone every episode that would be stupid.

Where would they get drugs to do though? Not to mention that this would be stupid unless you were in a super safe place.

Agreed the dialogue is whatever.

I thought this new episode was good enough for me to keep watching.

My biggest problem is the characters. I don't find any of them interesting. They don't have to be likable, just interesting in one way or other.

I don't really know what the show tries to be as of now. It's just a bunch of flat characters moving from place to place arguing about stupid shit and hiding occasionally from zombies. And it doesn't help that the actors are pretty bad.

The scene where the sisters went fishing is the prime example of the show's poor storytelling. Too much forced dialogue trying to create tension and make us care about the characters. I prefer being shown through their actions, rather than being spoon fed through dialogue.

Oh man just streamed s1 over the weekend. Overall overhyped, but will watch more.

quote:

originally posted by BearCousin

i still want to know what the fucking scientist said at the end of season 1

YEAH. this. Totally.

my guess the wife is pregnant. "but who's the baby daddy" drama ensues.

I like that asian character, but the "i'm no chinaman I'm Korean!" screamed "We writers are so cultured we know the difference between azns." Also, why are all asians on tv Korean? no hate, better pr?

Any failure that this show experiences can (and should) be attributed solely to the AMC execs. Frank Darabont, the writer/producer/director, was fired months ago because he refused to accept AMC dramatically cutting his budget.

If AMC wants to put out successful shows, along the lines of Breaking Bad, they're going to have to pony-up the funds. And from what I've read, the (season one) Walking Dead episodes are more expensive than the vast majority of Mad Men and Breaking Bad episodes. Bottom line, if the folks at AMC wanna compete for years to come with the shows on HBO, they're gonna need money.... and lots of it.

Also, the black guy and his young son that were introduced in the very first episode of Walking Dead.... WTF happened to them? It's always irked me that those characters never showed back up in the first season. Hopefully we see them this season.

I'm gonna keep watching because I think the show has potential, but I wouldn't be suprised if it goes to shit either.

Your channel has a show called Breaking Bad on it. Watch it, and learn how dark you can be. Stress makes people compromise their morality.

True. This is the heart and backbone of the comic (well, any good zombie tale really). Zombies are just quick doses of action/gore relief from all the heavy shit. AMC really needs to darken things down and make the human misery more engaging.

Speaking of low-buck, does AMC have a premium HD option? This upscaled shit really needs to GO.

Also, the black guy and his young son that were introduced in the very first episode of Walking Dead.... WTF happened to them? It's always irked me that those characters never showed back up in the first season. Hopefully we see them this season.

In the comic they come back later I think, but the father goes crazy I think cus the son turns into a zombie and he has the kid chained up in the house and fed dead looter parts. Its too crazy for TV so it will probably be changed or dropped.