so, i made a pair of jeans last week.

mizanation

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys, thanks for the compliments!

i got the denim from a local nyc fabric store in the garment district. i am considering buying some selvage denim, waiting on some swatches to arrive from overseas.

the legs are a little wide, i will change that in my next pair.

eventually, i want to make completely custom jeans for denim-heads. meaning, the customer would specify the cut, the denim, the pocket fabric, the back pocket design (i.e. embroidery, fabric, etc.), the buttons/rivets, the works.

i know a lot of people are having trouble finding a pair that fits them the way they want, or has the features they want. i hope in the very near future, to be able to make some nice jeans for the members of this forum!

anyways, i have more pics on my blog:

http://mizanation.blogspot.com

i will be making some t-shirts maybe this weekend which i will post on my blog. also, i want to make some leather accessories and custom shirts.

Edited by mizanation on Apr 25, 2006 at 09:11 AM

Look good. I agree about them being a bit loose through the thigh. One question, what is the measurement on the thighs?? Only reason I ask is because I have big legs and I sometimes have trouble finding denim that fits my thighs properly.

What exactly is "HYPE"?

Yeah those are really nice for your first pair. How did you learn to sew? I have had zero formal training and learned all from mother and grandmother. I was just wondering how you got so good? School?

japanese denim has become a simulacra of americana. Initially being a faithful reporduction but becoming something else, independant from the original, a true reflection of postmodernity.

whatsup y'all. glad you guys like my jeans. i know they are baggy, but i wanted them to be a little big.

the next pair of jeans i make will be slim fitting. i soaked these jeans for the whole day so i hope that they shrunk a little.

captain5640 - if you are having trouble with finding a jean that fits you, i could possibly make a pair for your measurements. pm me if you are interested.

Dogfarm - i am self-taught. i learned most of the stuff from books i got from the FIT (fashion institute of technology) bookstore and from online. i got some tips from http://sewing.patternreview.com. mostly middle-aged women there, but they sure as hell know how to sew. oh, my mom is an expert tailor (but for traditional japanese kimono), so i guess it's in my blood. i hope she will teach me how to sew kimono since it is really a vanishing artform.

icegrillz - it took me two days to draw the pattern, then about 5 days to sew. i work during the day so i could only work a couple hours a night. everytime i would fuck up a section, i would do that part over again, so it feels like i have made 3 or 4 pairs of jeans already. i would love to make some custom jeans for people. i think i could help out people who have trouble finding the perfect fit.

if anyone has an idea or wants something in particular, pm me. maybe we can work something out.

ok, so i soaked them all day while i went to work.

when i got home, i threw in the spin cycle of my washing machine and then hung dry.

they shrunk a little so i am happy with them for a baggy fit.

check em out:

shrunk1.jpg

shrunk2.jpg

like i said, next time, i will make them a couple sizes smaller.

these were modelled after a 32" waist (they are probably a little bigger since i decided not to taper them in at the waist). i could realistically fit into a 29", so these are pretty big for me.

still, i like the look. the denim actually looks better after i washed it. these will be my baggy pair.

ok, so i soaked them all day while i went to work.

when i got home, i threw in the spin cycle of my washing machine and then hung dry.

they shrunk a little so i am happy with them for a baggy fit.

check em out:

shrunk1.jpg

shrunk2.jpg

like i said, next time, i will make them a couple sizes smaller.

these were modelled after a 32" waist (they are probably a little bigger since i decided not to taper them in at the waist). i could realistically fit into a 30", so these are pretty big for me.

still, i like the look. the denim actually looks better after i washed it. these will be my baggy pair. btw, i'm 5'9" waist 31, inseam 32, 153 pounds.

dude, your pretty much the same measurements as me, just 10 lbs heavier.

HUGE props on making a dope pair of jeans. id def get down with you next time im in the nyc vecinity.

keep working at it, youll just get better.

show them shits after a wash or two so we can see how they hold up.

and for sure try out different fabric types. thatd be way cool if you could do custom pairs in differnt fits/style/fabrics.

congrats

Quote:

looks like someone got creative while Supertalk was down

nice!

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Apr 26, 2006 05:24 AM

yeah, i had to get my denim fix somehow. icon_smile_wink.gif