Its called "Bokeh", if you google it you can find some comparison, the Bokeh is different between different lenses though, e.g. some are hexagonal, circle etc.

That depends on what aperture your using, most if not all lenses produce circular bokeh when wide open. Its when you stop down that you get the hexagonal shapes.

That depends on what aperture your using, most if not all lenses produce circular bokeh when wide open. Its when you stop down that you get the hexagonal shapes.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it makes sense as the blades make a hexagon shape.

Also thanks for the tip re the star shot. I'll play around with exposure tomorrow night.

Hey joelz i really like that one bith the bike, what was the set up on that one? How did you get hose circles like that?

koven and eversuns nailed it down - it's pretty easy to do, just focus on the frontmost element with light sources behind it - you can see it in any photo taken on a lens with a reasonably small apeture - eg anything that isn't a point and shoot (tho I think a lot of the newer point and shoots - canon's s90/95 and G11/12 to name 4 can do it too)

so these few pictures are from a roll of kodak gold i found inside my xa4 when i first bought it.

the roll had been finished but was as of yet still undeveloped, don't know how long it had been sitting in there.

so anyway out of curiosity (and as practice) i went ahead and developed it.

turned out half the roll was fucked with a strong yellow cast and the other half was rather mundane family photos.

i was surprised to find the fucked up half was a series of photos taken at the birth of a child. made me wonder why the photographer didn't get them developed in the end.

5203740295_753691f646.jpg

5203740345_20536ef4eb.jpg

5204339678_450afa10f6.jpg

Nice shots everyone.

"party with tina" is that second shot even a photo?

Just a few from the last few days:

5214037148_c16ebe48de_z.jpg

Power Lines - Cal Groom Photography by eversuns, on Flickr

5213441799_0f0acc4b16_z.jpg

Project 365 - 27 - Cal Groom Photography by eversuns, on Flickr

5207879449_864c6495f5_z.jpg

Project 365 - 25 - Cal Groom Photography by eversuns, on Flickr

5205713503_6abba0c0bd_z.jpg

Project 365 - 24 - Cal Groom Photography by eversuns, on Flickr

5206310396_b830261db1_z.jpg

Purple - Cal Groom Photography by eversuns, on Flickr

and an iPhone shot from the other day when I didn't have my camera: