tote bag recommendations

^^ That is true I guess, but if you are doing it for "style" reasons then you may as well get a small duffel or messenger bag, cause totes often look like oversized purses when slung on the shoulder...you can get a free Bape tote with the 06' Bape catalogue ($6).....

Marimekko's totes are really great. I have the black/grey one in this style: http://www.marimekko.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=19

It seems to be just Americans who have problems with totes. To most male American friends, my bag is just really girly. From any non-American friends or strangers, I get constant compliments about it.

The March issue of the Japanese mens' fashion magazine Men's Non-no has a section on bags, including totes. There were a lot of really cool looking ones in it, including a nice Porter Prism one.

Edited by ruach on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hopefully you are a female though, cause a dude with a tote bag deserves a kick in the balls......

Please, let's not start this again.

Anyhow, backinthetrees, djrajio seems to know a lot about good tote bags -- send him a PM. He might be able to hook you up with one, too.

Edited by minya on Apr 3, 2006 at 12:22 PM

Quote:

^^ That is true I guess, but if you are doing it for "style" reasons then you may as well get a small duffel or messenger bag, cause totes often look like oversized purses when slung on the shoulder...you can get a free Bape tote with the 06' Bape catalogue ($6).....

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Apr 3, 2006 11:21 AM

exactly!!!! Wood Wood has a dope bag kinda duffle looking but smaller...

***Dociousaliexpifragalisticcalisuper***

Quote:
Quote:

Word - I just got a Jack Spade waxwear messenger..I think they make a tote as well..I love it.

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Apr 3, 2006 01:01 PM

trini, did you pick it up in toronto or online/elsewhere?

--- Original message by lyingonyourdriveway on Apr 3, 2006 01:06 PM

I picked it up at the Jack Spade store in NYC (I was there this past week/weekend) - funnily enough, I went there w/ the intention of buying one of their messenger bags from the Greene Street line..and then saw the waxwear stuff and somehow rationalized it in my head to spend $200 more than I'd planned...I figure (hope) the waxwear will last longer than their nylon canvas bags..plus, it looks better.

Straight up, if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend products from their Warren Street line..

here's the waxwear tote: http://www.jackspade.com/warrenst/utility04/index.html

Edited by triniboy27 on Apr 3, 2006 at 01:28 PM

barbour coats are the first thing that come to mind when it comes to waxed cotton

LOYD is right, it is sticky. but it wears really really really nice. it has to be rewaxed every year, at least that's the case with barbour. you can do it yourself, but it is not the same. there are rules to handling wax garments, keep away from heat sources and don't store in enclosed spaces. repairs have to be done professionally, too, usuallly by the manufacturer. having said that it is really durable, the same material that traditional boat sails are made of and the original seamen's coats.

not that you asked me icon_smile_tongue.gif

Quote:

Actually the only tote carriers I see in Canada up to now are those ardogynous emo kids. In North America carrying a tote does bear a certain homosexual stigma.

But I do like totes, even if I don't own one, because it is more accessible than any other bag. Even my uncle who works in a finance company carries one and he agrees with me on that.

However what better way to piss the douchebags off, by carrying a tote and with a hot chick on your arm? Lol.

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Apr 3, 2006 11:27 AM

word...

thanks minya. will send him a msg..

i'm not into bape, and the whole messenger bag thing is going too far where i live. in the last 4 years, i've been carrying one of them crumplers.. but now, everyone's got one.. its come to a point where i cant take it anymore. i dont mind not being exclusive. but its come tooooo far when i see one in front of me, and one behind me when i'm standing on an escalator. not that i've seen anyone with a similar colourway, but, well, it's just become too cool for me to handle. : )

DAMN.. the jack spade ones are hot.. but the handles a little too short, you think? hahaha.

marimekkos are nice, but i cant bring myself to pay such a high price for that kinda quality.. (its really expensive here)

ruach: i'll get march's non no and take a look. otherwise, cld you scan the page/take a photo of it and send it over? hehehhehe. thanks.

thanks all dudes... appreciate it.

btw, i need smth waterproof, cos i spill shit all the time, and i'm kinda messy/dirty/dont really look after my shit. :P

peace

punk me, bitch.

Quote:

Actually the only tote carriers I see in Canada up to now are those ardogynous emo kids. In North America carrying a tote does bear a certain homosexual stigma.

But I do like totes, even if I don't own one, because it is more accessible than any other bag. Even my uncle who works in a finance company carries one and he agrees with me on that.

However what better way to piss the douchebags off, by carrying a tote and with a hot chick on your arm? Lol.

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Apr 3, 2006 11:27 AM

cool, I used a tote bag pretty much every the whole month i was in the us this summer.

there is no other type of bag that is more aesthetically pleasing than a tote bag. I always use a tote bag if I dont have a lote to carry.

this one is a favorite

http://www.caliroots.se/system/search/product.asp?id=4197

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

Quote:

trini, what's the texture of the waxed cotton like? What does it feel like?

--- Original message by minya on Apr 3, 2006 02:12 PM

Minya,

LOYD and Denimdestroyed basically called it - it's like a really stiff canvas..it's actually kinda cool because it shows wear marks sorta like raw denim.

Here's the definition off of the Jack Spade site:

Weatherproofed woven cotton soaked in turn-of-the-century paraffin formulas for greater strength and abrasion resistance. Waxwear combines the durability of nylon and the ease of cotton. When exposed to heat, the waxed surface “refinishes†itself, and marks of use fade.