almondcrush

what are you reading today?

51C2XX71JHL._SS500_.jpg

Not as strong as his short fiction, but this is really old. Actually his first full novel, I believe.

just finished this:

n174766.jpg

and I'm about 150 pages into this:

0be84afa424631280df413a1ed4cea98.jpg

call me corny... but the trillogy so far is mad addictive... plus i'm from stockholm so all the street names and cafe references add another element of fun to these books. currently on...

n270478.jpg

^Those books are complete and utter shit. And the first film (which I heard some positive things about) wasn't much better.

With the current sales though it won't be long before they release more posthumously "discovered" Stieg Larsson titles. The ignorant fans will fail to notice that they are just reading a narrative Apple catalogue with loose plot lines stolen from Raymond Chandler novels, and that the "exclusive" iPad versions feature click-through adverts.

If you love crime writing try Chandler, Hammet, Ellroy, Price, hell, even Harris is more enjoyable than that shit.

i agree, the movies were complete dog shit! might skip the third on your advice and check out those authors :)

Halfway through by now and I really like it. Of all singer/actor turned writer types probably the best I've read so far.

bunny-munro.jpg

Never read any Kafka before. What does anybody think I should read first (if it matters at all)?

Halfway through by now and I really like it. Of all singer/actor turned writer types probably the best I've read so far.

bunny-munro.jpg

Then you may wish to check out the film he wrote called, "The Proposition". It's a very well done Wild West story but set in Australia.

found this in my dad's bookshelf:

cosmos.jpg

Carl Sagan has become something of a personal hero for me

Honestly I'm having a hard time getting through 2666. I'm just getting into the section on the murders (about halfway through), and while the shift in style was pretty jaw dropping, I feel like the 5 novella format he originally intended would have suited this work better. The links are there between the stories but they're so cursory at times that I feel a little annoyed.

My question to people who have finished it is-Do the links between the stories become more prevalent or meaningful towards the end?

Not sure if you finished this yet, but I read 2666 at the beginning of this summer, and I can tell you that while there are multiple links, the link you discover in the Part About Archimboldi is fucking awesome and it is very apparent. It's easily my favorite section of the book and the ending is perfect and fulfilling.

Callanan_cvr_B.jpg

Picked it up on a whim, really digging it so far.

Last week I detoxed from computers/tv/everything.

read three books: This is It, The Wisdom of Insecurity, and The Stranger.

This Is It may be the most important book I've ever read. Everything Watts writes is solid gold.

Starting Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund today.

Just finished Fat City. Fucking great. Highly recommended.

Now, I'm sinking into a slump of reading old issues of Fantastic Man and cookbook recipes. The only time I have to read is on my commute, anyway.

@ThisSunday: were you reading the Hammett in a WAYWT post recently? I just saw that cover somewhere.

Been meaning to read Red Harvest for a while now, that just reminded me. If only I wasn't already having an intimate affair with 2666. Fucking genius work of literature right there.

i just started 2666, im pretty pumped to see where this is going.

^ never ceases to disappoint.

boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. i hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. people coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on sunday, and all that crap. who wants flowers when you're dead? nobody.