what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Got a chance to see Noam Chomsky speak in receipt of the Sydney Peace Prize. One of my most admired thinkers. What a great man. The depth of his knowledge of history is truly astounding.

seeing chomsky speak is on my bucket list. i'm afraid my time (or his time?) may be running out, though. but he's a truly amazing, inspiring intellectual. and hell yes dude power and terror is a great read! i can dig it and i would add these two to any chomsky rec list:

wI5SM.jpg

the (in)famous chomsky-foucault debate. foucault's post-structuralist agenda versus chomsky's rational scientific thought - the result is legendary.

aHgXU.jpg

chomsky is the king of mass media. he's known to devour every major (stateside and international) newspaper before breakfast. in the book he dismantles not only the mass media as we know it, but politics and history along the way, by fleshing out what he calls the "editorial bias". a chomsky doc was aptly named after this book.

can also recommend many of his older language books and general chomsky readers if anyone is interested. just send me a pm.

i dunno, i've always been skeptical and less enthusiastic about this whole idea of singularity. as it stands a whole 1/4th of the world still doesn't have electricity, about 40% don't have a phone and even less have access to the internet

the singularity is at best a rich person's fantasy IMHO

dude you really just need to read this book. technology is growing very quickly. soon it will be common to use nanobots to do chemical synthesis so that we have 100% yield and can use all the pchem principles. you really need to read this book

103157156.jpg

This is really great so far. I'm seven chapters in and I'm really enjoying it. This is the first McMurtry novel I've read and I'll probably pick up "The Last Picture Show" next. I'm pretty excited to be reading this because the author is an alum of my university and he's won a Pulitzer in fiction which is pretty inspiring.

8318_afront.jpg

This is very good. Who wouldn't want to be a young trilingual aristocrat in pre-revolutionary russia? But this book is not escapist, it has much more to offer than just nostalgia for a time you never knew. A great look at what shaped a writer and a human being. have to read more Nabokov.

Have you read Lolita? Before I read Lolita I thought writing and art were separate entities. After reading it I felt as though Nabokov's prose could be plastered on the walls of any Museum.

Ijhqbl.jpg

i received issue #2 of lucky peach for christmas. it's a foodie quarterly journal started by david chang (chef and owner of momofuku). it's pretty great - filled with travel anecdotes, quirky food stuffs, and awesome recipes. it was picked up by mcsweeny's - which makes sense. mcsweenz always picks up great stuff. highly recommended journal & publisher.

Edited by mapz

i received issue #2 of lucky peach for christmas. it's a foodie quarterly journal started by david chang (chef and owner of momofuku). it's pretty great - filled with travel anecdotes, quirky food stuffs, and awesome recipes. it was picked up by mcsweeny's - which makes sense. mcsweenz always picks up great stuff. highly recommended journal & publisher.

you'll like 'Put a Egg on It' i think, food zine with great photos and.. food. http://putaeggonit.com/

Edited by Magnetic

Was pleasantly surprised to see other people as into Chomsky as I am. Truly a legend. If you haven't heard his most recent speech on OWS I would highly recommend it.

tumblr_lwfc14X55H1qh2pv5o1_1280.jpg

Another author I'm sure many of you are already familiar with.

Posted · Hidden by read my mind, December 30, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by read my mind, December 30, 2011 - No reason given

My wonderful mother just sent over "The Orb Project" by Miceal Ledwith and Klaus Heinemann. I was recently taking pics of several Dior Homme jackets in my bedroom that i was trading a friend, and a well defined spirit decided to show himself in one of the photos. Sent the pic to Mom, and she thoughtfully purchased this book for me. Interesting read.

Not bad. He drifts from the intended voice here and there (more regularly as the tale progresses), but when he nails it it's pretty funny. At its high points, it's a bit like reading Dreaming of Babylon. I've been pretty tired of this guy. There isn't much of his that I've bothered to finish.

sub-book-popup.jpg

finished white noise (after hearing the hype here) and the wind-up bird chronicles recently. enjoyed both but i have a suspicion that rubin isn't the best translator. received 1Q84 as a gift for christmas and will probably shelve it for a while.

picked this up today randomly on the cheap

5260066108_066fb70f44_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...