what are you reading today?

almondcrush

you guys should read The Castle by Kafka. that shit literally ends mid-sentence lol.

mount analogue, and denton welch's A Voice Through a Cloud, are two notable books that end on account of their authors' demise; the latter, which is excellent, and autobiographical (it describes the author's paralysis, and "recuperation", until the point of his death), is so much more poignant because of the circumstances of its abrupt end. mount analogue seems to end where it does by design, just as the explorers reach the base of the mountain that cannot be approached by mortals. M.A., incidentally, is the book that inspired the film Holy Mountain. good reads. purchase them, if you cannot find them at a free library, or through electronic methods.

Hey I just discovered this thread and Haruki Murakami! Crazy late I know. I really want to pick up one of his books tomorrow and was wondering which would be the best to start with? The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle seems to be popular but ive read excerpts from both the The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and found Hard Boiled slightly more captivating.... But if you guys could recommend a better Murakami to start with that would be amazing

Just pick up any of them. They're actually all the same book (pretty much). And I don't mean that with malice.

Henceforth, all murakami novels will be refferred to as "t shirts" or "that shit". Murakami will be known as "my friend Craig" and any sucker wearing a wire who dissappears after doing this wrong will be " "outta town for a bit". Feel me?

^ a guide would bog you down

use an index card as a bookmark

and jot down each character's name as it pops up, along with the page they first appear, and a very brief description, add key notes as they reappear in the book

the book is funny and fairly friendly as long as you can keep track of the cast

don't get intimidated

Question for the price enthusiast:

Has anyone ever asked him why he chooses to use the word "nigger" instead of "nigga". From what I can gather through context, or whatever, he probably has a problem with the word and wants its full effects to be felt. Which is all well and good but when I read two black guys referring to one another as nigger it sort of brings me out of the novel.

I don't remember clockers all that well but don't the cops use nigger whereas strikes crew use Nigga? If that's true it makes sense the cops character are kinda ignorant and racist but the street kids would use the appropriated version. I'm probably getting the film and novel confused, though.

While looking to see if he had a twitter, or something, so I could pose my question to the source, I found this NPR interview with him which is sort of interesting.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1923152

tumblr_lhfwc6jWKS1qcl7wao1_500.jpg

my girlfriend got me a years subscription to Lapham's Quarterly. I received my first issue a few days ago. Each issue has a theme, in this case "Work" or Jobs, and gives a historical view of the theme through writers, historians, scholars, artists, etc. Pretty cool. In this issue, there is work from Hesiod, Bronte, Marie Curie, David Mamet, Mike Judge, Marcus Aurelius, the list goes on. Lots of illustrations and diagrams, and is overall, well designed. Love the typography, too. Comes in at over 218 pages. I kind of can't contain my excitement.

^Let me know how that goes, please post frequently with updates. I've heard his stuff is pretty good (but I've never read any).

Anyway, should really post this in the comics thread, but I'm reading this to tie-in with a couple of DOOM shows next week.

img0202qe.jpg

img0201e.jpg

yo what was that mf grimm/doom double album? i used to have it and that pic of the graphic novel is really making me want to go to my moms house and dig it out right about now. alls i remember is grimm on like a fire escape or something on the cover, all wheelchaired-out and shit.

whos a couple chapters into the pale king and wants to comment? i preordered on amazon and it got mailed to my moms house cause i forgot to change my shipping adress so i cant start it until sunday. im not asking for spoilers, just a brief reaction to it thus far.

whos a couple chapters into the pale king and wants to comment? i preordered on amazon and it got mailed to my moms house cause i forgot to change my shipping adress so i cant start it until sunday. im not asking for spoilers, just a brief reaction to it thus far.

just started last night. kakutani's review is accurate on so far.

the-road-cormac-mccarthy.jpg

This is such a good read. Not in terms of being an 'easy' book or anything, but it just reads so smoothly. I'm surprised how many pages of a man and a boy eating canned food, freezing and avoiding the few people left on this earth I can read in one sitting, how fast and with what interest. McCarthy is truly a masterful storyteller.