84 replies to this topic

#1 sallyann

sallyann

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 14 may 04

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

OK, so I'm a young wordie, and am collecting hip & hot slang words, or rare use English words, new ones preferably that are street and used by the kool kids, but location-specific ones too, like a word that's used in Sidney for something, but not anywhere else. An example? Well, er, Moeuf in France is used for Girlfriend. That kinda thing. Any other wordies out there?

sallyann.

#2 LadyFrank

LadyFrank

bored

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • joined 24 april 04

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:29 AM

it's hard to say on a location-specific basis. there are east coast phrases that originate in one city and then spread through the metropolitan areas. for instance, a few years back, i started hearing all my philly friends use the expression "that's what's up" as a reply to pretty much anything in any context...you ask me what i did today, i tell you i went shopping, you reply, "that's what's up." or i tell you that the price of milk is sky-rocketing (which it is), and you respond with "that's what's up."

"good lookin' out" is popular too...i think it's was also a philly thing. it's used in place of "thank you." for instance, when you pass the salt, or hook me up with a contact or something, i reply "good lookin' out."

it spread to new york immediately...then a few months ago, i heard a bunch of kids in baltimore using these phrases in heavy rotation. of course, i'm just assuming it was a philly thing based on the people who were using it.

just a couple...i'll try to think of more for you.

#3 Trev

Trev

bored

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • joined 24 march 04

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:43 PM

Back in high school these 2 Puerto Rican kids moved up from the Bronx and got me hooked on "Mad" as an expression for quantity and frequency. "Mega" and "Ultra" were soon to follow. Then I moved to California and everyone out there says "Hella" for the same purpose that East Coasters use "Mad". There is nothing more annoying than the word "Hella".

You should Google Bobbito Garcia and read some of his books, that'll give you plenty of insight into NY Hip Hop culture that has originated so much of the slang that we hear today.

#4 kiteless

kiteless

semibored

• Pip
  • 142 posts
  • joined 09 march 04

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:51 PM

About a month ago, I overheard two girls at the Two Floors Bar in London calling someone "kinda deck". It's the first time I hear "deck" being used outside Williamsburg.

#5 Yakboy Equals Nurturer

Yakboy Equals Nurturer

superbored

• Pip
  • 473 posts
  • joined 11 may 04

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:51 PM

A friend of mine teaches 11 and 12 year old kids in Brooklyn. They use the term 'buns' to refer to someone being a pussy. Instead of saying "You're such a pussy" they'll say "You're so buns."

One of the kids didn't want to say buns in front of my friend (seeing as she's his teacher and all) and referred to it as "the b-word, you know, pussy".

#6 JDM

JDM

superbored

• Pip
  • 429 posts
  • joined 30 august 05

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

in Atlanta, we says Axe instead of Ask

#7 denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife

mr_o

• supermod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,141 posts
  • joined 27 january 06
  • biography:lonely tylenol
  • wish i was in:the villa of ormen

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

you better axe somebody
destroyer of URLS reaper of soles

#8 down4nyhc

down4nyhc

superbored

• Pip
  • 592 posts
  • joined 08 march 06

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

i heard the term "brolick" around queens a few times. then i heard it in a jadakiss song. "my guns is brolick" . he meant bigger but it can also be used to describe person's muscular build.

"hookie" - dope party

i could prolly go on for a while. kids can't speak english because of slang here. sometimes you can't understand a damn word they say.

#9 Caps Lock

Caps Lock

superbored

• Pip
  • 970 posts
  • joined 08 february 06

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

I've heard the word Hardbody, its a New York word that refers to anything thats extreme or tough. For example "Yo son, you saw my jacket? shits madddd ill, hardbody". We use tight to describe how we're upset. "I'm so tight she gave me a D"

#10 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

In L.A. people call penises "Pee-pees"

#11 Analyst

Analyst

superbored

• Pip
  • 561 posts
  • joined 18 march 05

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:39 AM

Here's some slang terms in Thailand, some obviously derived from English:

GIK - a GF or BF on the side (here in Thailand, everyone has one or two other "giks" aside from their SO)

CHILL-CHILL - describes a place or sitution to mellow or relaxed (this term pronounced "shew-shew" is an evolution of the Thai word "sabai-sabai")

PRC - used around the ex-pat community to describe something "ghetto" as in "she/that is so PRC" (term is derived from "Peoples' Republic of China")

#12 artificialsky

artificialsky

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • joined 08 september 05

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:32 AM

i remember becoming buddies with a guy who moved to the Town from Kansas City, and he always says "whatevs" or just "evs"

a year later all sorts of people around here are saying whatevs.

#13 Servo2000

Servo2000

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,532 posts
  • joined 28 february 06

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:21 AM

PRC - used around the ex-pat community to describe something "ghetto" as in "she/that is so PRC" (term is derived from "Peoples' Republic of China")

I'm going to start using this one and not tell anyone what it means. Although if anyone ever does they'll probably just assume I'm a racist.

#14 Louis

Louis

superbored

• Pip
  • 470 posts
  • joined 09 april 06
  • style:oriental
  • denim:size 33

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

In the bay area, (California of course) we use:

hella (a lot)
crunk (shitfaced/drunk/ etc.)
scraper (ghetto ass car most likely a oldsmobile with 21's that scrapes when it goes up a ramp)
kick it (hang out)

too many.

#15 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • joined 01 august 05
  • style:dainty

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

...for africa = a big amount

as in she has style for africa... so much that you can aford to give some to the children in africa who are probably more deserving...

not new but i think it was nz only...
i just type s o n, son.

#16 sidneylo

sidneylo

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts
  • joined 24 october 06

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

as in she has style for africa... so much that you can aford to give some to the children in africa who are probably more deserving...

Damn. I'm jacking that one.

This thread is fucking delicious... my vernacular lightbulb is going off like crazy...

#17 RAISED BY WOLVES

RAISED BY WOLVES

superjunkie

• PipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • joined 22 may 06

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

That shits gully son.

i think the collector ones are the best, but when i'm wearing it, i put people away because there are too fragile

#18 soundune

soundune

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,259 posts
  • joined 09 june 05

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:58 PM

some words i've picked up along the way:

herb = a derogatory term for any young man that listens to music such as Nickelback a and has no sense of style. Or anyone you feel like deriding

fit = hot, sexy - refering to a female

bird = a female

ish = the way to say shit around your parents so they don't get mad at you

obviously - an emphatic response indicating agreement as in: "That bird was fit, kid." => "Obviously, son!"

Natty = a natural looking, earthy-type chick as in: "That bird was looking natty, son"

Git Rit = an alcoholic beverage as in: "Pick me some of that git rit down at the corner, kid"

Foolish = a noun, someone acting stupid as in: "Dude, your new Nikes are wack, man" => "Shut up, foolish"

Daddy Warbucks = a noun, a male holding a lot of that johnny cash

Money Grip = same as above
www.thegreaterminds.com

#19 superdupersang

superdupersang

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,284 posts
  • joined 22 november 05

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

shotting- dealing
henry- eigth of weed ( as in henry the eigth) 1.23grams
she is so butters - i would, but her face is stopping me
bumba clatt- derogatory term with a south london/jamacan origin, orginally meaning a used tampon as in blood clot

more to come

what does ride the ghost whip mean?
Posted Image

#20 Stylen

Stylen

semibored

• Pip
  • 77 posts
  • joined 11 january 07

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:17 AM

Isnt that another way of saying "ghost ride" As in the new thing where kids are putting there cars in gear and hopping out while running along side it or hanging on in some manner

#21 jilla82

jilla82

semibored

• Pip
  • 224 posts
  • joined 14 august 06

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:25 AM

Philladelphia - Jawn (A person, place or thing) ie-"Them jawns are tight" meaning those shoes are nice

Chicago - Joe (Man, dude) ie-"Man joe, I just hit a sweet lick over there on madison. Just got 2 pair of MJ 4's for $70 a pair" meaning Hey man, I just got a great deal on Madison street. I just purchased two pairs of Air Jordan 4 sneakers from a man on the street for $70

#22 notesee

notesee

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • joined 09 december 05

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

Haha, this is a good thread. I'm from NYC but go to school in CT, so lemme see what slang I can dig up from over here that hasn't already been posted yet ..

Tough - same type of slang that ill or dope is used for. I hear most ppl saying it in regards to a girl, clothing, or music. Like, "That broad is tough". "That new Ghostface is tough."

Gwap - Money. "Gotta get that gwap."

Saucy - Drunk. "We gettin saucy tonight?"

Gut - To fuck. "Did you gut that bitch?" (The only kid I know that would say this was from North Carolina, heard it from him a couple years ago. But it was such a funny term it always stayed in my head.)

#23 sean_

sean_

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts
  • joined 03 april 06

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

juiced, sauced, saucy - drunk

what the fidididuh - what the fuck, whats your deal, etc

p - pronounced like "puh", used in place of peace

figgadeal - i dont even know what it means, we stole it from state prop 2

p and fidididuh are the big ones with me and my other hyperslangtalking duke lately
ISO: SUPREME/BILL THOMAS & '11 paisley shorts

#24 camc

camc

superbored

• Pip
  • 734 posts
  • joined 11 january 07

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

peach/peaches - hot girl/girls
strig - hot girl
sippy - drunk eg getting sippy tonight?
boozey - same as sippy
loisht - anything good. girls, cars, clothes etc. eg that bird (girl) is so loisht.
louie - same as loisht
pewce - anything shit. eg she is so pewce
pewie - same as pewce
crook - same as pewce, pewie
bearded - when youre excited about something. eg: im so bearded over that new shirt.
frothing - same as bearded
d-grader - someone uncool.
wheels - shoes.
rides - jeans. eg check out these new rides. pretty louie uh?
t-o - tshirt
trillet - eating food. eg lets go get a trillet. im starving
sloth - sitting round doing nothing. eg not up to much today, probably just sloth on the couch
soothe - same as sloth
slumming it - not caring about your appearance. eg cant be fucked puttin on good clothes. ill just slum it.
tins - alcohol. eg come down the pub for tin
in ruins - too drunk/hungover eg. got so sippy last night. im in ruins today

from western australia

#25 tony_hige

tony_hige

semibored

• Pip
  • 107 posts
  • joined 05 august 06

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

BOOTSY = shortened version of bootleg; fake, cheap, counterfeit. "them evisu's ya got from thailand are bootsy" also used for "wrong" ex: "she did what? man, that's bootsy."

I thought it was an SF thing, 'cuz the girl I heard use it a lot is from there, but I don't know.

#26 fade to black2

fade to black2

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • joined 05 january 07

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

a slang i came up with recently (don't know if it's been done before):

AUSTRALIA = slang for 'pussy'...as in, "I don't know bout you, but I got some grade A australia lined up for tonight"

#27 JBee

JBee

semibored

• Pip
  • 134 posts
  • joined 13 july 06

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

[quote name='superdupersang']

bumba clatt- derogatory term with a south london/jamacan origin, orginally meaning a used tampon as in blood clot

I always thought this was claat, i know of bomba claat but am more familiar with rass claat ( where rass is prince? correct me if i'm wrong) and the claat is just clot
I thought the bomba was foolish

colloquialisms change from day to day though, maybe it's just an area difference, oh this was from the midlands in england (B'ham, Nott's up to Sheffield)

#28 DJ2xTech

DJ2xTech

superbored

• Pip
  • 922 posts
  • joined 28 march 04
  • attitude:none
  • denim:size 33

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

Urbandictionary.com

is going to be your best friend

#29 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • joined 01 august 05
  • style:dainty

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:50 AM

urban dictionary is one of my favourite sites...but alas so many words form here are undefined or end up at the bottom of the list...

out of it meaning wasted...but also meaning anything unusual...so common where i used to live that everyone had different ways of saying it...and eventaully we said elephant or conterfeit to say the same thing...

on to it means intelligent or smart...can be used for a person or an idea...

flash meaning expensive or exclusive sometimes good

budget means the opposite of that cheap or bad sometime shortened to budge

cabbage is used for cannibis leaf [rather than bud] and is in wider usage to mean anything sub par..
i just type s o n, son.

#30 superdupersang

superdupersang

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,284 posts
  • joined 22 november 05

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

[quote name='JBee'][quote name='superdupersang']

I always thought this was claat, i know of bomba claat but am more familiar with rass claat ( where rass is prince? correct me if i'm wrong) and the claat is just clot
I thought the bomba was foolish

colloquialisms change from day to day though, maybe it's just an area difference, oh this was from the midlands in england (B'ham, Nott's up to Sheffield)[/QUOTE]

could be the regional thing
ive heard of raas clot but dont know what it means.
and i think ali g had somehting to do with the propagation of these terms into areas other than london
Posted Image