what are you watching today?

red

1NT25u3.jpg

Despite the beauty of its animation, a great deal was lost in translation. Version offered was dubbed not subbed (ugh) and used Chloe Grace Moretz for the voice of Princess Kaguya. Not a Moretz fan, and even less of a fan of her voice acting. Slow paced movie as well.

3SrSuWS.jpg

First off, any comparisons to Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing to this movie are a stretch of Mr. Fantastic proportions. This movie doesn't have even a hundredth of that movie's honesty, style, and cultural importance. Anyone who pretended this movie could compare in order to sell this movie's tickets, shame on you.

I don't enjoy sitting through mediocre films (who does) but the fact remains that I have sat through many more mediocre films by white directors than I have mediocre films by black directors. And in the spirit of "never hate a movie" there are the moments that made this movie worthwhile. The struggle for identity is something is real and can be traumatic, especially when you are confronted with situations that demand you choose who you are. Dear White People is at its best in these scenes.

The movie's biggest problems stemmed from the characters themselves, who seemed to be reverse engineered from stereotypes rather than being characters who happened to fit into certain stereotypes.

The movie also suffered from tonal shifts that didn't fit the mood of the majority of the movie at all. It could have played it straight and simply parodied the experience of black students at an ivy, but had to throw in a heavy-handed sick father storyline (which we are given zero reason to care about, because we don't know who he is beyond "protagonist's dad) as well as a classic heist wrap up for NO REASON. It wasn't a heist movie. At all.

I'd much rather recommend Fruitvale Station than Dear White People, but both have their place.

jDDCXL1.jpg

Anyone who paid any attention to the news/daily life has hopefully already gone through the process of realizing our country has drastically changed, but to watch Edward Snowden quitely stare out his hotel window as the scope of what he has revealed his country has done mentally crashes over him might be one of the saddest things I've seen this year on film.

I don't want the American legacy to be "by any means necessary," which certainly seems to be our approach to security. Security which, in the pursuit of a promise that cannot be kept ("never again") has damaged the economic viability of American companies, continues to blur the line between "ruler and ruled" versus "elected and electorate," and will prove to be continuously disastrous for foreign policy as we discriminate between American citizens and foreigners, further reinforcing the rhetoric of us against them.

the-shining-(1980).jpg

first time seeing this classic

I envy you.  A friend was over who'd never seen it and I couldn't find the damn thing so we watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  He'd never seen that either and man I envy that too!!!