Boots/shoes-Sizing advice

k4727

Layne - I didnt know that about Bakers. Problem for me is Im from England and currently just over half way through a 6 month trip around the world. I get into LA in mid.late November and am looking to pick up a few things in the US that I wouldnt otherwise do because of shipping costs.fees etc. Mt plan was to order before I got there and pick them up when I get to the US. Im only in the US until New Years Day so ordering anything remotely custom after I arrive is a no go due to time constraints and holiday periods.

I am also after some more engineer boots so looking at Wesco boss and trying to persuade myself that I hate the Road Champs.

Like you I wear the same size in many other shoes and boots...8D. I went with a 7 1/2 in MF Road Champ's and they fit like any other 8D I have.

aw man Jordan from MF told me to go with my regular size but that they do run big, now im confused... I guess I'll think about it more when I actually save up for them.

• 2 weeks later...

US 9 RedWings

US 9,5 Real McCoy´s Rigger

US 9 Alden Barrie Last

UK 8,5 Trickers Stow

UK 9 Fracap

US 9,5 Nike & Converse

UK 9 Docs

i am near to pré-order the Beck Short Engineer boots from Toys McCoy.

i am in a sizing choice discussion with John Lofgren from The Speedway Shop about these new beauties. John is for a 9,5. me maybe a 9...

Coleslawyum? Davichan? Ed the banned? Marineabilly?

thanks.

Hajduk, good luck on the Beck engineer Boots - those look great!!

Baldy, perhaps Road Champ owners can chime in on their measurments. Here are mine:

Edit: Usual size 8D. Thanks rayw44!!

Measurements:

Size: 7 1/2

Heel to toe (with heel against wall): 11 1/4"

Width (at the widest points of the ball area): 4 1/8"

Height: 12"

Heel Height: 1 5/8" (highest), 7/8" (lowest)

*New measurments to follow when I get them back from the shop.

Here's a size 11:

Size: 11

Heel to toe (with heel against wall): 12 3/8"

Width (at the widest points of the ball area): 4 3/8"

Good idea. I think several others may be able to help to compile a decent range of sizes.

Road Champs Size 8

Heel to toe (with heel against wall): right between 11 3/8 and 11 1/2"

Width (at the widest points of the ball area): 4 1/4"

Height: 12" (including the heel), 10 5/8" without the heel

And for reference, my usual size is 8 1/2.

Has anyone been sized by Baker or Whites for SD or BHs as either of 2 sizes (say a US10.5 or US11 - actual size dioesnt matter, just the fact of being given 2 sizes). What did you go for? If it was the smaller, did you think that you should have gone larger?

Has anyone been sized by Baker or Whites for SD or BHs as either of 2 sizes (say a US10.5 or US11 - actual size dioesnt matter, just the fact of being given 2 sizes). What did you go for? If it was the smaller, did you think that you should have gone larger?

that's odd. I'd see if they can send you a pair to try on. You may have to ask White's about this service.

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to ask your advice about Trickers sizing.

i just purchased a pair of Trickers Bufords in marron.

they are beautiful. but problems.

im am True to Size: US 8 D

So for my Trickers I got them sized:

UK 7

with a 5 fitting

on their 4497 last

leather heels

maybe i made a mistake and sized too small?

now i'm questioning if i am currently sized right or not in Trickers....????

I have worn them now pretty hard for 4 days straight. miles at end.

at first wear, i must admit, they are not as comfortable boot out of the box as an Alden or Viberg is.

Length:

the fit on the tips of my toes feel very closed-in towards the end of the toe-box,

I could estimate my toe is about slightly less then .5 of and inch space between my big toe and the tip of the inside of the boot while wearing.

i would prefer slighly more space at the tip.

Width:

the width in the heel is comfortable.

the side width in the toebox is quite spacious and comfortable, almost too wide.

Instep / Vamp:

primarily on my left foot,

on the inside of my Instep, even unlaced the boot is pushing down on the top of my instep and making it slightly uncomfortable and leaving an impression from were the tongue meets the rest of the boot..

it feels too tight and this is really starting to bother me as i walk a tremendous amount.

do you think this will break in and give to stretch?

i'm startgin to think that i should have either sized up a half size,

or should have went with a .6 fitting width???

but there is not a great resource for Trickers in NYC unfortunately..

sizing on the internet is causing me much frustration and loss in cash!

my experience when i tried a UK 7 1/2 size (seven and half) in the same boot.

it felt too much room up front of the boot. and too wide in the toebox,

i thought that would be a problem and lack of support.

and i thought that my foot would constantly slid up into the toe box.

I would love to hear from other Tricker wearers their experience of breaking their pair in,

and if anyone has had a similar problem to mine.

can you please take a moment and let me know your advice on the matter.

thank you.

davi,

im the exact same size as you. i know this for the fact that i've bought your bounty hunters and smokejumpers. i am also a regular 8D in other boots that i own.

i made a purchase for the Tricker's x Present brogue boots quite a few months back and i went with a UK7. those are a fitting 5 as well. as for the last, i can't remember off my head which ones they are but i can check when i get home if you'd like that.

the initial phase when i wore them, they felt quite tight in the length as well as the front of the boot at the toebox – very much like your situation. it was a tad narrow for me in the front but not to the extent that my toes were squished together. just that they weren't as roomy as what i was used to. there was a lot of discomfort, so in my head i thought i had sized them wrong and should've got for a UK7.5 fitting 5.

one day i chanced upon a pair of tricker's in a size UK7.5 fitting 5 on the bay and i picked them up on a whim. when i arrived, to my horror they were way too huge for me and i couldnt wear them even with thick socks. an thick insole could have done the trick but i didnt try. i sold them and went back to the Tricker's X Present ones. i brought them along with me to my hong kong trip and did a lot of walking in them.

they hurt like shit initially but after approx 7 – 10 wears, they fit great now. i will say that they have stretched out quite a bit. i find this a problem with english boots (with no discredit to them or any of their fans). they don't exactly fit very comfortably right out of the box when brand new unlike alden or whites and do take a while to mould in. but after that they turn out fine.

with regards to a fitting 6, im not too sure if you should go that way. from your situation they sound like they are already wide enough, just not as much in the front. you might just end up with a boot too wide. maybe CTB or anyone else with experience with the fitting 6 could chime in on this?

thank you very much Ranon for your super helpful reply.

i appreciate you taking the time to help me, and of course others who might experience the same problems.

i can already feel from the intense wear on them i have put in the past few days, they wouldn't have the same roominess that an Alden, Whites or Viberge would provide at relative size,

but the Tricker toe-box area would begin to open up and actually be correct to size, just a slightly closer length.

it sounds like we definitely have the same issues with the boot, my only difference is that i must have a slightly wider foot or just higher instep, and am bothered by the boot holding down and digging into the upper part of my foot where the tong meets. that is really starting to bother me, and is my concern.

i don't mind to break a boot in, in fact i love it, but i don't want to fuck up my feet either in the long run wearing incorrectly sized boots.

mikecch gave some great feedback as well on from another forum , and suggested that trickers 4444 last

which is built wider last might be helpful. there is mention of this as well on The Shoehealers website.

The 4497s Last, although a generous fitting, is noticeably closer fitting over the top of the foot (Instep) than the 4444 Last.

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker_s/Useful_Information/

it sounds a half size bigger all around? not only in the instep?

I don't know?

would any one have experience with comparing the 4497 and 4444 at same size and in similar boot makeups?

regardless,

thank you for the help.

Davi, sorry about the sizing issues. :(

I hope the advice I gave you on my Tricker's didn't lead you to buying an incorrect size. I'll feel like an asshole if that's the case!

I'm not sure what last my Eatons are built on ... But from my experience, if a boot/shoe hurts when you initially put it on and during the first several wears, it's not the correct fit. I understand that some have to be broken in, but there's a big difference between molding a new boot to your foot and trying to use your foot to stretch out a boot that's too small.

I know it's incredibly frustrating because sizing over the internet is a gamble at best. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but some lasts, brands, etc. just don't fit right on certain people.

Anyways, best of luck with the search -- and don't kill your feet in the process!

EDIT: post number 666

headbang_by_erosagfx.gif

davi, i just checked and my last is the n2508. not sure if this information will help you much.

indeed it sounds like we have a bit of the same problem with tricker's. you might want to drop richard from shoehealer an email, i think he will be able to help you and advise you with regards to the lasts as he has a great deal of experience with handling tricker's. you might also want to contact tricker's directly to ask them about it. [email protected] is their email. they are very responsive to emails and are a fantastic bunch to deal with. they will be able to help you as well with your problem.

i have seen the amount of wear you put into your boots and i hope you can resolve the problem quickly. it is indeed no fun walking long distances in a pair of boots that gives you a lot of pain.

good luck davi.

thank you Layne, and again Ranon,

i am going to contact Trickers now at that email, and pose them my question as well, and see what their thoughts on the matter is.

always great to hear back from the source.

i will follow back up if i hear anything good.

thank you guys, your post have been very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, need some advice on Alden 404 Kudu, I believe to be built on trubalance. Not sure though? I under stand different lasts have different sizing methods. Any info. would be a great help. Thanks.

PF flyer- 9.5

Nike max 87,90- 9.5

J crew RW- 8.5

Clarks weaver- 9m (which fits like a glove) although I'll be selling these. PM if interested. Apologies for the plug.

Vans- 8.5 (my only pair & not sure if this is a fluke in sizing)

Insole of PF flyers measures- 10 6/8

bottom of Flyers- 11 3/8

Bottom of the weaver-10 7/8

Measurement of my foot roughly- 10 1/2 or just under while standing. Thanks to all

Edited by Ignotus1

I am a

RW 8D for 8166...bit narrow and 8E for 875...good fit

White's semi 8E...perfect fit

Alden 405 8E...bit wide

with smartwool light hiking socks

to ig

if you find the j crew RW fit you ok in the width go with 8.5D otherwise go for 8.5E.

to all who own's MF RC

should i order 7.5 or 8

thanks all

Edited by yanansi

another size check for MF roadchamps, I wear a US 11d in both redwings and alden indies, UK 10 in Trickers monkey boots.

would 11 be the way to go for the roadchamps or 10.5, never owned engineers before, bit afraid of them being too big and slippage...

MF Road Champ Boots 7

Alden X Roy Boots 7E (could have done a 6.5)

Clarks Wallabee's and Desert Boots 7

Clarks Desert Trek 7.5

Red Wing Policeman Chukka 7.5

Vans 7.5

Chippewa Engineers 7.5

Would I be a 7 or 7.5 in Whites Semi Dress/ Bounty Hunters?

Edited by attackwithstones

MF Road Champ Boots 7

Alden X Roy Boots 7E (could have done a 6.5)

Clarks Wallabee's and Desert Boots 7

Clarks Desert Trek 7.5

Red Wing Policeman Chukka 7.5

Vans 7.5

Chippewa Engineers 7.5

Would I be a 7 or 7.5 in Whites Semi Dress/ Bounty Hunters?

Size 7. I wear a size 7 in road champs and a 7 in the semi dress standard last

Posted · Hidden by davichan, November 28, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by davichan, November 28, 2011 - No reason given

<p>

<br />

i wanted to ask your advice about Trickers sizing.<br />

i just purchased a pair of Trickers Bufords in marron.<br />

they are beautiful. but problems.<br />

<br />

im am True to Size: US 8 D<br />

<br />

So for my Trickers I got them sized:<br />

<br />

UK 7<br />

with a 5 fitting<br />

on their 4497 last<br />

leather heels<br />

<br />

maybe i made a mistake and sized too small?<br />

now i'm questioning if i am currently sized right or not in Trickers....????<br />

<br />

I have worn them now pretty hard for 4 days straight. miles at end.<br />

at first wear, i must admit, they are not as comfortable boot out of the box as an Alden or Viberg is.<br />

<br />

<strong>Length:</strong><br />

the fit on the tips of my toes feel very closed-in towards the end of the toe-box,<br />

I could estimate my toe is about slightly less then .5 of and inch space between my big toe and the tip of the inside of the boot while wearing.<br />

i would prefer slighly more space at the tip.<br />

<br />

<strong>Width:</strong><br />

the width in the heel is comfortable.<br />

the side width in the toebox is quite spacious and comfortable, almost too wide.<br />

<br />

<strong>Instep / Vamp:</strong><br />

primarily on my left foot,<br />

on the inside of my Instep, even unlaced the boot is pushing down on the top of my instep and making it slightly uncomfortable and leaving an impression from were the tongue meets the rest of the boot..<br />

it feels too tight and this is really starting to bother me as i walk a tremendous amount.<br />

<br />

do you think this will break in and give to stretch?<br />

<br />

i'm startgin to think that i should have either sized up a half size,<br />

or should have went with a .6 fitting width???<br />

but there is not a great resource for Trickers in NYC unfortunately..<br />

sizing on the internet is causing me much frustration and loss in cash!<br />

<br />

my experience when i tried a UK 7 1/2 size (seven and half) in the same boot.<br />

it felt too much room up front of the boot. and too wide in the toebox,<br />

i thought that would be a problem and lack of support.<br />

and i thought that my foot would constantly slid up into the toe box.<br />

<br />

I would love to hear from other Tricker wearers their experience of breaking their pair in,<br />

and if anyone has had a similar problem to mine.<br />

can you please take a moment and let me know your advice on the matter.<br />

thank you.<br />

<br />

<br />

Well,<br />

i know it is weird to re-quote oneself,<br />

but for the purpose of sharing good information, i think it could be beneficial to help others.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So because of all my problems with my Burfords, (explained in my quoted email above)</p>

<p>I had Richard from the Shoehealer, make me a custom MTO Trickers Eaton.</p>

<p>by the way, if anyone doesn't already know from doing business with him,</p>

<p>i would not purchase a Tricker boot elsewhere besides dealing with him.</p>

<p>He is super top when it comes to fitting advice, and a pure pleasure to deal with email communication.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So i had my Eatons sized the same UK 7 fitting .5 fit </p>

<p>but the main difference from my troublesome Burfords,</p>

<p>these Eatons are built on the 4444 last.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<div>comparing the 4444 last, I can describe the Eatons like this:</div>

<div>-the toe-box appears to look slightly narrower from the outside shape, but inside has more room for my toes to very comfortably move about from up and down.</div>

<div>

<div>-the waist of the last hugs in my arch with more support.</div>

<div>-the instep and tongue gently wraps around and gives me the "bandaged" support i desire from a well laced boot.</div>

<div>-the length of the fit in the toe-box is also a few millimeters longer, and is also feels so much more comfortable. this little bit really makes a world of difference in comfort for my taste in fit. The 4479 feels more close to the end of the toe-box.</div>

</div>

<div>people that complain of 4497 Trickers fitting too tight in the toe-box, should definitely consider the 4444 last then.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>overall this 4444 Eaton feels like it has more fitted shape to it, and allowing more room in the vamp height and toe-box length,</div>

<div>i personally like this fit more-so then the 4497 Buford.</div>

<div>and would most likely continue on with fitting for this last for future Trickers purchases.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>hope it helps.</div>

<div>best</div>