motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

Actually, when you take the fairings off a street bike and change out the headlight it's called a "street fighter" or a naked bike. Ducati's Monster has been doing this for awhile and other Japanese companies make naked bikes as well.

I'm pretty sure that anyone riding a streetbike is little concerned with the rat rod culture of cars.

^ There's an analogous subculture within streetbikes, where the bikes are made up of old but functional essential parts and not much else.

A lot of people have taken this to mean bikes (usually naked/streetfighters) that have been scuffed up some and painted funny, which is kind of off from the original theme (minimal functional parts) and not really "rat bikes" (e.g. polka dot fellow above).

• 3 weeks later...

i got a 1979 Suzuki GS550E about a month ago and have been loving it!! i was thinking about a 250, but everyone i talked to told me i would out grow that quick. good thing i went with a bigger bike. it has 1200 miles and i'm the 3rd owner. this is my first real bike, i used to ride a 50cc and this thing is soooo much more fun to ride. i can actually keep up with traffic for once!! haha...anyways here's a few pics

2773100401_ee6d30223e_m.jpg

2773947284_b346132940_m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up getting a 250 Ninja to start out on after reading all the good reviews on it. Been riding it for about a month now and it's awesome.

I went to the local Triumph/Ducati dealer the other day to tease myself and I'm completely torn over what my next bike will be: Bonneville or Ducati Monster 696. Oh well, I've got plenty of time to think about that one. I'll be riding the 250 well into next season.

bonneville if steez means anything to you. (5)

the monster would def be fun though. theres one parked down the block right now. i tell myself ill never get a bike like that though because with my led foot (wrist?) and love of wheelies i could see mahself dyin' with tha quickness

Honestly if that's the style moto you want and you want to buy US then you kinda answered your question but, you'd be buying a pretty solid engine with some soul. I don't look at Buells and think Cafe Racer...more Streetfighter kinda thing, like Dino said. But then, that's more or less an opinion these days since the terms get thrown around quite a bit.

[cut]This is about as close as I've seen for a US built Cafe Racer and it's custom. and yes that's a big freakin' harley v-twin in there.[/cut]

supermanx2.jpg

I think Bimota's are out of everyone's price range on here. Those motorcycles are great Transformer looking bikes but hardly practical.

I'm currently removing parts from my Harley and tomorrow i'm going to take a reciprocating saw and cut off the fender struts. I took the handlebars off and put drag bars on there but haven't connected anything to them because I don't have the cables yet. I'll post pictures of the evolution of it all.

I need to start thinking colors for the tank. I plan on having a clear coat put on my new flat rear fender and then maybe stripes of some color on the tank. Not quite sure yet. Anybody have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

And here starts my Superfuture motorcycle talk..

So...

My entire life one of my two biggest fears was motorcycles, and earlier this year i bought a moped (1980 Peugeot 102sp).. i liked it, but i could barely keep up with traffic, it just plain wasn't fast enough...

So i figured i'd look into motorcycles instead of pouring money into a moped to make it go faster.. I bought a 1980 Honda CM400A for super cheap, it's a 3 speed motorcycle with no clutch. So you shift, but that's it, no clutch to deal with. I'm currently getting used to riding and getting my turning down and all, and also having a friend teach me how to shift.

I'm fucking hooked. Like beyond hooked. I'm spending massive amounts of time looking at my "dream bikes"...

I love old japanese cruisers and choppers.. or just anything that looks like classic American. heisjasian's Suzuki is exactly what i'm into.

Here's my shit:

174495024_cm400a.jpg

Quality? Worth the money? Whatever...

I'm interested in a vintage bike, but I'm not sure I have the wherewithal (or the time) to put up with an old bike's quirks.

The Royal Enfield seems to have a pretty decent following online, and the price is attractive (at least for me.)

Really just digging for any ideas/experiences with the manufacturer...

Chad

I've ridden my fair share of Brit and Indian enfields. Not too up on current manufacturing but a few years ago they were all made in India. I've ridden some over there and they are fine for the long miles, but a British company used to import them and 'clean them up' or rather bring them up to a spec. That people could live with in England. I've forgotton the name of them but a quick search will bring it up.

I don't know where you live so can't comment on whether you'd be getting a British modified or a straight up Indian built one.

I personally like them all but the Indian ones can suffer from a lack of manufacturing tollerences. (they can be a pain in the arse to get into neutral).

Then there's the bullet 65 which is the same thing but modified to a left hand gear change by another Brit. They are also 5 speed. The standard bullets are 4 speed right foot change (fine if you're used to old Brit bikes). There's a 350 and a 500. Go for the 500.

They are based on a 50's design and not modified much since. They arn't considered as nice as other British bikes but are cheeper and arguably nicer to live with (indicators etc). If you check back in this thread you'll see my old 60's enfield 250 single (quite different to the bullets).

They all look, sound and feel old which is nice if that's what you're looking for, but don't go for one if you like mod cons.

left change and from the photo looks like a unit engine (bullets are pre unit) which is weird if that's what it is. Disc brake too which personally goes against the grain. Personally, for me the charm of the bullet is that it feels lie a 50s bike, but if you put a left change and disc brakes on it I'd rather buy a more modern bike, but like I said it's a personal thing. If you like it then you like it.

Haven't posted here in ages. Might be time to get back into the swing of things.. Here's my bike - it's a 2005 R1 with a custom crawfish paintjob, GYTR exhausts, pazzos, rearsets, PCIII, few other tidbits here and there..

IMG_7806.jpg

2853245888_70cc7bba29_o.jpg

Do y'all know of any custom motorcycle blogs or sites? I am talking more about choppers than sport bikes. This is the only one I can find:

http://blog.honeyee.com/stakizawa/ but he has a cool bike on it: and i'll figure out how to link the pics after class

126+%285%29.jpg

126+%282%29.jpg

126+%287%29.jpg

126+%284%29.jpg