Denim Experiments

thelion1856

I've been doing the one picture a day thing with my Skull 5010xx for two months now. It's really hard to get the changes since I do front and back shots, so after two months the most you can see is maybe some rivet fading on the pockets and the leather patch has changed color. I plan on making a time lapse thing after a year or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i seem like the last person who would check out this thread, but i want to see don's ALD's...and on the right girl, those thongs would be FIRE! selvage up the crack? are you kidding me? sicko!

I guess at one point in time I should go climb up on the roof and see how the Wranglers that Wild style and I placed up there. They've been up there for a good 3 mos. or so now.
please do...i am very interested in seeing how they survived acid rain.

Okay here are the wrangler's left on the roof for approx. 3 mos. now. Really strange fades considering that these were left in direct sunlight out in the open. Flipped halfway through the 3mos. Some critters were livin' in them and had to be evicted.

Wild Style braved daring feats to get up there again. Mostly because the airconditioning unit that you have to climb on would break if my ass used it for a stepstool.

outdoor8.jpg

outdoor1.jpg

outdoor5.jpg

outdoor3.jpg

outdoor4.jpg

outdoor2.jpg

outdoor9.jpg

outdoor7.jpg

outdoor6.jpg

my h&m raw sliq's are goin on 5 months now, and i never got to wearing them quite hard, so im thinking, since ive considerably upgraded throughout the ensuing months after purchasing them, im gonna work them to hell for a few days, then just leave them outside like rome1 did. it was in the back of my mind, but i never really was up on it until i got some new jeans in the last few weeks (much much nicer), and since the weather is always weird here in the northeast, leaving them outside would be a fun and interesting way to get some more lines and fades in them. im actually thinking of just nailing them to a tree that gets good sunlight throughout the day, and leaving them until say... october or november. i dont wear them all that often anymore, so its not a problem, but i would like to see how they turn out after that. and if nothing happens, well, no real loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had several ideas for experimentation.

I was at a scrapyard and saw lots of steel rusting in a rain puddle. I thought about getting some crappy pieces of scrap steel, or cracked cast iron skillets or something to bring about a lot of rust and soak the jeans in the rusty water.

I also thought about soaking jeans in 10W-30 motor oil for a few months and then rinse them 2-3 times.

I was worried about the oil being combustible though.

I had spilled some gasoline on the bottom of my jeans mowing the grass one day and there was some faint fading from it. If i werent so worried about catching myself on fire I might try immersing a pair in gasoline.

I used to think it would be cool if i had my own jeans company to have a whole group of people who experimented on denim.

I also thought about soaking jeans in 10W-30 motor oil for a few months and then rinse them 2-3 times.

I was worried about the oil being combustible though..

A few rinses? you need soap to get out the greasiness. And probably a couple hard washed.

There are enough oil-stained jeans and coveralls around. Flammable wouldn't be a problem after it's washed out.

A few rinses? you need soap to get out the greasiness. And probably a couple hard washed.

There are enough oil-stained jeans and coveralls around. Flammable wouldn't be a problem after it's washed out.

yeah, rinse wasn't the right word.

I also have thought about using cleaning solvent (for tools/auto parts) to scrub some jeans.

Also what about baking them? I guess i just thought maybe 'baking' a pair on 450 for say an hour might really tighten the weave up and make for some interesting fades as they stretched back out.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever tried to put their denim in the garden, with rocks on the inside so that it doesn't fly away ? They would immune from rain, storm, snow, and whatsoever. If I had money to get a kindof cheap raw denim, i'd do that, for fun.

(sorry to have bumped this kinda old thead).

• 4 months later...

awe shit! this thread made me realize that those things are up there covered under snow and god only knows what else. Plus the shop closed back in Nov. I will try and sneak up there in the springtime gotta find a ladder to bring with me as well.