Belts

minya

I've read a lot of good responses from Engineered Garments' Brown Leather Quick Release Belt. I found a picture of it on their website. It's under 2005 Fall/Winter Collections, top row, fourth picture from the left. Maybe someone who has it can give you more details.

I have a tonne of leather belts, some plain, some not so much, and all I have been wearing lately are what I believe they call "web" belts. They are from a military surplus store, and are cotton with a different clasp than a traditional belt. They cost me 5 bucks CDN, I got green, tan, and green.

Look like this...cheap and a bit different:

http://www.gr8gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=41

Quote:

I'm not paying $180 for a belt.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 26, 2006 11:16 AM

Why not. You'll wear it as much as $200+ jeans, and a whole lot more than $185 hoodies (both of I wear too). A good bridle leather belt will last longer than either, and a classic but not stodgy design like the Engineered Garments belt will go with pretty much everything.

www.styleforum.net

carhartt makes a quality leather belt. i've had one for close to a year and it hasn't stretched out or cracked like some of the lower quality leathers i've had. it's thick and beefy and takes tanning products pretty easy to make it softer. i think it was like $15ish as well

Quote: Why not. You'll wear it as much as $200+ jeans, and a whole lot more than $185 hoodies (both of I wear too)
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. Anyone know if I can try on the famed EG belts in Toronto? I don't know if Nomad has gotten their stock of E.G. stuff in yet.

Quote: What puts me off is the big carhatt words running down the buckle

Yep. That's why I opted not to buy one.

In the past, someone requested a good belt, and someone posted a link to site where you could design your own.

Looked like quality belts for around $50.

Try a search, I'm sure you could find it.

I'm not a fan of web belts. I've had so many over the years, and they never last. The fabric frays, the metal piece at the end comes off, or the clasp doesn't hold the belt tight enough.

Check out Stowe Provisions, it's a couple of guys out of Austin Tx that do all the work themselves. Drop an e-mail and I'm sure they will let you take a look at all there different designs, they'll customize one for you too. Quality work, I have two myself.

~Cheers

-

Quote:
Quote: Why not. You'll wear it as much as $200+ jeans, and a whole lot more than $185 hoodies (both of I wear too)
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. Anyone know if I can try on the famed EG belts in Toronto? I don't know if Nomad has gotten their stock of E.G. stuff in yet.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 26, 2006 01:48 PM

I didn't know they were getting EG but I'm excited to check it out in person... some of the more convential pieces look good. The stuff wasn't there this weekend, either was supreme or nom.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

BAD belts available in Nordstrom often have good designs for a reasonable price.

Diesel and G-Star make some nice belts to go with jeans, and can often be found on sale. I got a Diesel one in Urban Outfitters for $40 US.

Given your success with your wallet, I'm surprised you don't make your own. You must have at least considered it?

ask a cassowary

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by minya on Mar 26, 2006 01:48 PM

I didn't know they were getting EG but I'm excited to check it out in person... some of the more convential pieces look good. The stuff wasn't there this weekend, either was supreme or nom.

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Mar 27, 2006 01:21 PM

Engineered Garments stuff is really well made, especially at the mid price point (although the place I go to usually charges less than other places. They were charging about 20% less than Steven Alan for the field jackets, for example.) The belts are made in England, but everything else is pretty much made in NYC (well, some of it is made around New England). Actually, I think that their accessories are some of their strongest pieces. Check out the hanging bag on the Steven Alan site; that is an Engineered Garments "canoe" bag, and can be used as both a backpack or a messenger. I have one in wool melton lined in brushed cotton. All the leather parts are bridle leather.

www.styleforum.net

Quote:

Go to Mervyn's and get a plain brown and a plain black belt for $25, thick as hell and not bad looking either......

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Mar 27, 2006 01:38 PM

Belts that retail for $25 are going to be made out of leatherboard, which sounds like cardboard for a reason. They may seem thick and durable at first, but will not last. The leather is essentially leftover leather bits glued together.

A bridle leathe belt, sans buckle, will run you between $20-$25, wholesale, depending on your order size. Retail, you can get a bridle or full grain grain leather belt for ~$45, from private makers (i.e. cuttimg out the middle man/designer/retailers, etc...) Broblem then to find a buckle you like. The buckles that come with these belts, while serviceable, are usually pretty yawn-worthy. There is a reason good leather belts are usually pretty expensive. Cole Haan, Coach, belts retail around $65-80, and are decent deals because they deal in bulk amounts and can both wholesale lower and make larger margins through their own stores.

www.styleforum.net

Quote: Given your success with your wallet, I'm surprised you don't make your own. You must have at least considered it?
I definitely have, and if I was gonna be home in the Bay Area I'm sure I could do it. I'm gonna be up in Canada for most of the summer, though, so it's not a feasible option right now. Roland, I really like those belts you suggested, thanks for the tips.

Quote: The leather is essentially leftover leather bits glued together.

I have definitely had the same black leather belt bought at Mervyn's c. 6th grade (over 10 years ago), and I shit you not, it looks brand new. My little brother is a leather craftsman/hobbiest and has never ventured to say that a belt at a cheaper store is going to be cheaper quality.

Quote:
Quote: The leather is essentially leftover leather bits glued together.

I have definitely had the same black leather belt bought at Mervyn's c. 6th grade (over 10 years ago), and I shit you not, it looks brand new. My little brother is a leather craftsman/hobbiest and has never ventured to say that a belt at a cheaper store is going to be cheaper quality.

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Mar 28, 2006 11:20 AM

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not a leatherworker, but am in the midst of having belts made to spec for production. Top quality leather is definitely not cheap, nor are made to order buckles. Maybe Mervyn's used better leather ten years ago, but I can say from experience that the cheap leather belts I've had definitely did not age as well as my quality leather belts, and sort of distintegrate after a year or so of heay use, and they definitely do not feel as supple as a high quality belt. High street mass marketers are a different story. Places like Banana Republic and Cole Haan can put out decent full grained leather belts for cheap because they cut out the middle man.

www.styleforum.net