Belts

minya

Quote: Hmmm, interesting. I'm not a leatherworker, but am in the midst of having belts made to spec for production. Top quality leather is definitely not cheap, nor are made to order buckles. Maybe Mervyn's used better leather ten years ago, but I can say from experience that the cheap leather belts I've had definitely did not age as well as my quality leather belts, and sort of distintegrate after a year or so of heay use, and they definitely do not feel as supple as a high quality belt. High street mass marketers are a different story. Places like Banana Republic and Cole Haan can put out decent full grained leather belts for cheap because they cut out the middle man.

That is true, but what you are forgetting is that Mervyn's, JC Penney, etc. stock brands like Carhartt, Fossil, Kenneth Cole, etc. which often make a decent belt. I grew up working on ranches every summer for most of my life and nothing is a better test of a belt than being in the saddle and building fences 13 hours a day.....I have bought all of my belts at the aforementioned stores/surplus/western stores, and believe me, NO ONE makes stronger belts than the workwear brands that places like Walmart sell; you can find good stuff in those stores, people give them a bad name because they aren't "stylish" but it is by far the best bang for your buck....

anyway, that was kind of off topic.

I appreciate all the tips and recommendations, all. It really is time for a new belt. Right now I'm using a shitty $25 grommeted piece of crap and the grommets are starting to come out and they're scratching up the leather patches of my jeans and that is upsetting me greatly. icon_smile_sad.gif

• 2 months later...
Quote:

Atelier LaDurance makes what is imo the perfect belt for jeans:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=12597

--- Original message by sam113 on Jun 15, 2006 01:53 PM

that belt is rock and roll-----so VERY.

gimme?

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Anyone know where I can get either an Atelier LaDurance saddle or an Engineered Garments quick release belt?

I'm stuck in the Metro-Detroit area so there's not much by way of actual storefronts I can check out.

Quote:
Quote:

Atelier LaDurance makes what is imo the perfect belt for jeans:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=12597

--- Original message by sam113 on Jun 15, 2006 01:53 PM

that belt is rock and roll-----so VERY.

gimme?

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Jun 15, 2006 03:00 PM

PM me or call me at CONTEXT 608-250-0113.

Quote:

Sam113,

Great recomendation! I searched for better pics so I thought Id share with the rest of you guys:

saddle_leather_belt.jpg

^I like this one better, but both are cool. BTW, how wide is this belt seems a bit big from the pics Ive seen.

grained_leather_belt.jpg

--- Original message by chromesquared on Jun 17, 2006 03:16 PM

Chrome-

Yeah this belt (the top one) rules.

It is 1.75 inches wide, which is .5 to .25 inches wider than most. I love wide belts.

I can tell you from personal experience that it fits Nudie, Crate, Iron Army, Earnest Sewn, Levis and of course ALD beltloops.

I really like the Jean Shop belts...heavy brass buckle and thick brown leather...

the belts from 45rpm look nice too (check their Website for pics) but I'm not sure I like the buckle that much....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...