Are there any nongay male designers?

AznInvazn

I don't really have anything against gays, but I was just wondering. I mean, all guys associated with fashion seem to be gay. Slimane is gay, Lagerfelds gay, Tom Ford is gay. Also, EVERY guy on Project Runway was gay!... Am I gay for watching project runway? Anyways, jw. word. ninja.

One.

Guest Fade to Black

Marc Jacobs is definitely gay.

The only non-gay designers I can think of are the Japanese, Yohji Yamamoto is straight, I'm pretty sure Issey Miyake is straight and as far as I know Jun Takahashi seems to be straight, as is Junya Watanabe (not really sure about these two, if they're gay they probably keep their lives private).

Oh yeah, Raf Simons is straight (the thing people were talkin on the internet about him and Hedi having an affair is purely rumor; during the time this rumor surfaced, according to Raf he didn't even get along with Hedi and they never spoke; there was some mutual animosity between the two until recently).

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

raf used to go out with Veronique Branqhino. He is not gay. But definetly has a gay flavor.

--- Original message by singlet2 on Mar 23, 2006 07:55 PM

Hmm...what do you mean by gay flavor? He seems like someone who is very open about his emotions, and expresses them explicitly a lot as I've read in interviews where they've mentioned his 'sensitive' side and how he might just break down and cry when he feels some emotions coming on too strongly. In that sense, he might not fit the 'macho' stereotype, but I don't see how he comes on with a 'gay flavor.' If anything I find his sensibilities are more straight than, say, Hedi Slimane, whose overt obsession with erotic images of male youth bring to mind almost a pedophile's perverse hobby. I've always found Raf Simons to be kinda asexual in his work...just straight, sober and clean lines that are reflected in the tailoring. Nothing really flamboyant or overtly sexy like low slung, dirt splattered jeans or anything like that.

Quote:

I don't really have anything against gays, but I was just wondering. I mean, all guys associated with fashion seem to be gay. Slimane is gay, Lagerfelds gay, Tom Ford is gay. Also, EVERY guy on Project Runway was gay!... Am I gay for watching project runway? Anyways, jw. word. ninja.

One.

--- Original message by AznInvazn on Mar 23, 2006 06:58 PM

Project Runway's Daniel Franco was not gay.

i go to school for fashion design.. and i feel like im the only one that doesnt conform to the sterotype.

sterotype being that all fashion designers are gay.. but that is definatly not what i am..

soo this says a lot for the next generation of fashion designers?

the majority of there designs are stale in my opinion.. therefore they still stand to there stereotype as of again..

Quote:
Quote:

One.

--- Original message by AznInvazn on Mar 23, 2006 06:58 PM

Project Runway's Daniel Franco was not gay.

--- Original message by my_sad_valentine on Mar 23, 2006 09:21 PM

that dude looked like KD Lang and Keanu Reeves' love child

I think a better question is why does their sexual preference even matter? If you like the aesthetic of the clothes does it really concern you? Are you afraid that ppl might perceive you as gay because you're wearing clothes conceived by a gay man? Also, I love how these type of questions are always hedged like, "I don't have anything against X people......BUT! Blah blah blah WTF is up with them, etc.". It really shows just how stigmatised certain groups really are in this society, sad.

Just my 2-cents

N

I don't think it says anything about stigma. If there's any industry where gay men don't need any additional support it's the fashion industry!

I think it's a prefectly acceptable question....why does it not matter. It's just another facet to someone's personailty or approach that may have an effect on what they produce. Fashion is traditionally and still predominantly a feminine or effeminate thing. It's interesting that a lot of the Japanese designers aren't gay....not really sure why, but it may be that they're motivated by something more cerebral than "looking hot". (Like all generalisiations this can be attacked by looking at exceptions - e.g. Cavalli vs Chalayan - but that's not really the point.

Quote:

I think a better question is why does their sexual preference even matter? If you like the aesthetic of the clothes does it really concern you? Are you afraid that ppl might perceive you as gay because you're wearing clothes conceived by a gay man? Also, I love how these type of questions are always hedged like, "I don't have anything against X people......BUT! Blah blah blah WTF is up with them, etc.". It really shows just how stigmatised certain groups really are in this society, sad.

Just my 2-cents

N

--- Original message by chromesquared on Mar 24, 2006 03:21 AM

your so politicaly correct. props to you...

shut up.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Damn, I was just talkin about how most gay people have no fashion sense with my friends. Girls swear that gay people know everything about fashion, while the only thing they say to justify that is that they buy a lot of expensive designer shit. Just cause it's expensive doesn't mean it's fashionable. I remember when Bailey first designed Prorsum colection for Burberry that crap went on sale for like $9. thats how bad it was. just cause you price your stuff at a high price doesn't mean that it's fashionable.

Quote: I think a better question is why does their sexual preference even matter? If you like the aesthetic of the clothes does it really concern you? Are you afraid that ppl might perceive you as gay because you're wearing clothes conceived by a gay man? Also, I love how these type of questions are always hedged like, "I don't have anything against X people......BUT! Blah blah blah WTF is up with them, etc.". It really shows just how stigmatised certain groups really are in this society, sad.

Just my 2-cents

N

Jesus you are an anal bastard, it is a conversation. It is always funny that people like you want freedom for dudes to be able to get married so they can bone each other in the ass, but you don't want everyone else to have the freedom of speech to talk about why they do/don't disagree with it.........either way, it has nothing to do with the post.....