drone/noise/ambient

sawyer

'and their refinement of the decline' from stars of the lid is my fav ambient record of all time...

a must have!!

nadja is also worth a checkout.

very dark, some records are more ambient, some are more drone and noisy. also live a fuckin great band.

white rainbow's new clouds was the latest record i bought from this genre.very experimental.

fuck buttons meets 'tarzan' meets whatever.

just good music.

too much bands to mention, maybe you like some of them. :)

cheers.

learn your manners - around here, negging someone is not respectful disagreement

i started listening to earth since you were in elementary school and they were always considered metal or some subgenre thereof.

Negging? I was trying to be polite, despite your lack of consideration.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=negging

I'm not the only one who considers them drone.

I don't see how when you started listening to them adds any validity to your opinion. The operative word, of course, is opinion. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong just because you say so. Also, many consider "drone" to be a subgenre of metal. Did these people who talked about Earth while I was in elementary school discuss that?

I wasn't trying to start a genre argument, as I feel they're pointless. I was just a bit thrown off by your response. I sure hope sufu is not a place where most people think post count = status.

wow, i don't know how i'll be able to counteract an argument supported by the combined wisdom of urban dictionary and last.fm (10000000^100000000)

i could give less of a shit since my original post was more rhetorical than anything else (you've never heard john clyde-evans so you wouldn't know, would you?) - but next time try not to cite a source that proves the argument you're trying to counter (that "earth is not metal" - according to your link "[Earth] are pioneers in the minimalistic [sic] and repetitive form of doom METALknown as drone doom" [emphasis mine]).

also since (according to you) this is all opinion, you've basically admitted to giving me neg rep for expressing a different opinion than yours - even though your own argument intrinsically holds that your opinion does not have primacy over mine. which seems incredibly closed-minded, no? and i should hasten to add that the argument that opinions can't be debated is only ever mooted by people who are unable to put together a meaningful argument

and no, believe it or not the compulsion to subgenrify everything under the sun didn't exist in the 90s outside of dance music

i apologize for the thread detour but i never had much patience for internet idiocy coupled with poor etiquette.

back on track, i'm currently listening to maeror tri's fine "myein" which is a sterling entry in the european electronic synth drone that floated out of the wreckage of the ambient wing of krautrock. see also mid-90s tesendalo, tarkatak, early klangwart

n00b's guide to drone still forthcoming

I neg repped you? I didn't even realize I did that. My bad. I suppose that's where a bit of the hostility came from, then. I have no fucking clue how rep works.

I, personally, consider drone a subgenre of doom, and doom a subgenre of metal. But since you don't seem to, I took your point to be that Earth was more straight-forward metal. So I feel it's both drone and metal, but not the type of metal I took you to mean. I still stand by the fact that it's just opinion, which was my way of saying "nobody's wrong, let's move on."

</thread derailment>

• 2 weeks later...
earth is metal, not drone.

john clyde-evans is fucking drone

yea i know stuff brought up here won't be drone PROPER, obviously you have a lot more knowledge than everyone else but i dont see the harm in also discussing "dronish" or drone-like music as well

• 2 years later...

new prurient lp is great, also been jamming to this demo cd by an all girl group called BONEDUST great creepy noise/doom/weird shit. Sutekh Hexen has been killing the overly fuzzed out noise black metalish shit game for a bit now, also been really REALLLLLYYY digging this russian band called PHURPA which is weird throat singing drone. really haunting and beautiful music though

• 4 months later...

i'm a big fan of two guys, loscil and segue. they're both from where i live (well, i live on vancouver island, and they in vancouver) so there music and sounds and titles, are really relatable, and all are very pacific northwest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nxEMbam4o

but obviously brian eno is amazing, would recommend his apollo: atmosphere and soundtracks, as well as gavin bryars - the sinking of the titanic.

i'm a big fan of two guys, loscil and segue. they're both from where i live (well, i live on vancouver island, and they in vancouver) so there music and sounds and titles, are really relatable, and all are very pacific northwest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nxEMbam4o

but obviously brian eno is amazing, would recommend his apollo: atmosphere and soundtracks, as well as gavin bryars - the sinking of the titanic.

Already have apollo, "Drift" especially is amazing. Thanks for introducing me to new stuff, liking "first narrows" so far!

guess i'll help with resurrecting the thread since i absolutely love these genres and anything related to them. just gonna post some stuff i haven't seen mentioned so far that are some personal favs of mine

Animal Hospital

Bass Communion

Federico Durand

Grouper (def top 3 for me)

Thoughts on Air (i listened to the mallo yallo tape for like a 3 months straight everyday, good shit)

and György Ligeti doesn't really count i guess but his music ties in pretty closely with the drone/ambient scene i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnuAaKiX1sg

Edited by baphomet

• 1 month later...

Haxan Cloak - Excavation, - what a recording, I listened to it while waiting in a carpark, in my car, found it to be more than just music it has a physicality to it !

Great stuff, I love it.

Reminds me in tone to the film " Kill list".

Just came across this record company, Silent Seasons, they are from this small town (3,000 ppl) about an hour away, but put out some great, ambient/drone/dub stuff. They got label of the month on RA a while back. I just think its cool, because they're so close :) Check them out. 

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1712 

Silent Season is a music label influenced by our natural surroundings in British Columbia. The sounds of Silent Season grew out of the connection between deep ethereal music and the rain forests of Vancouver Island. A soundtrack to some of the most radiant and aural beauty in the world.

Edited by joeyod007

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this record company, Silent Seasons, they are from this small town (3,000 ppl) about an hour away, but put out some great, ambient/drone/dub stuff. They got label of the month on RA a while back. I just think its cool, because they're so close :) Check them out. 

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1712 

The Edanticonf album is wonderful. Also, I'm pretty sure that Neel (of VFTL fame) does all of Silent Seasons's mastering. 

Which, speaking of VFTL, Dozzy is coming out with a number of remixes of Bee Mask's Vaporware (from the Room40 relaese from last year).

http://soundcloud.com/memorybomb/vaporware-05-from-donato-dozzy

It sounds really amazing. I'm very excited for it.

the forest echo cd is great! i am slowly working my way through their catalogue.. i have about 12 or 13 releases but there are tons

neel did the mastering for that release, but not for all. if you check the website it shows the breakdown of producers, mastering etc.

i haven't heard that track, but it sounds good. have you heard VFTL new track - 531 khz? it came out a couple days ago.

My bad re: Silent Seasons mastering.

I was going to buy a copy of the new VFTL single - but they only pressed 300 copies - on clear vinyl as well, which is doubly terrible.

My copy of http://www.discogs.com/Virile-Games-Wounded-Laurel/release/4623270'>Virile Games - Wounded Laurel arrived last week and I really enjoy it.

My bad re: Silent Seasons mastering.

I was going to buy a copy of the new VFTL single - but they only pressed 300 copies - on clear vinyl as well, which is doubly terrible.

My copy of Virile Games - Wounded Laurel arrived last week and I really enjoy it.

no worries, they work w/ some great people though. i came across one person who worked on a release from silent seasons, (cant remember which one,) and he had done all of the mastering on biospheres cds! which is pretty cool. but wouldn't be the artist who deals with that stuff, not the label?  

I was contemplating buying there most recent release from ASC, "Time Heals All." The snippets sounded great, but I slept on it. Only 350 were pressed onto cd and none available on mp3/flac or whatever. Maybe it will appear somewhere on the web later on...

I haven't heard of Virile Games, i'll check them out!  

• 1 month later...