Turntables

don't waste your time and money with the starter packs. get 1200's used, start with one and a cheap mixer if you have to, at least you'll be able to practice scratching and that's most important if you expect to incorporate dj'ing with making beats, aside from only being able to play your vinyl for sampling.

most non-1200 turns are such crap, they take the joy and potential for creativaty out of mixing and dj'ing. it's no wonder why many have posted that they gave up after a short period with those starter packs. i've been doing it since '88 and started with some ultra whack belt drives and a radio shack mixer. after i finally got 1200's in '92, shit got raised to whole other level, it was like practicing meditation and liking it, but never achieving enlightenment, but when i started using 1200's it was like being buddha blessed.

trust, if you bother with reading this forum to learn more about high quality fashion, then you'd know old navy jeans could never touch a pair of apc's and etc. the cheap shit never really fullfills what you want and always becomes money wasted that you could've put towards the real deal. so don't taint your experience because of a lack of ends, take your time to save and really look. you'll find 'em no doubt. don't listen to others who say your too old. if your doing it for yourself, then it don't matter. the music is what guides you and if that's what you feel inside, then follow it man. hip-hop, dj'ing, vinyl needs new blood to keep it going/alive, so the fact that that your even interested in doin it the proper way is dope. all the digital technology is cool and woo hoo, but seriously lacks the X factor a hand put on spining vinyl can only provide.

btw, i'm still using the same turns i bought in '92 and they're still going strong.

im 22 yrs. i play every tuesday at the world famous beauty bar in LA every tuesday. and another packed weekly in orange county.

at home i have tt1650 numark turntables. i can drop tracks every 2 minutes if i wanted to..

its not about how well you mix, but who you know. in the big picture, im a nobody.

once you get shitty turntables, technics are cake. its cdjs you gotta stress on.

strato djs can jerk me off and house music is so 90s

http://www.spacedoutdj.com/NYTEL_-_THIS_IS_DISCOCLASH.mp3

Def go with the 1200s, they last forever and don't drop too much in value

Hell, if you like all the vinyl you buy then in 20 years you will need something to play the records on ...

I've got 1,000s of records - no way i'll sell them so def need decent set-up to play them on at home - even if I rarely play out in clubs or bars anymore ...

Quote:

im 22 yrs. i play every tuesday at the world famous beauty bar in LA every tuesday. and another packed weekly in orange county.

at home i have tt1650 numark turntables. i can drop tracks every 2 minutes if i wanted to..

its not about how well you mix, but who you know. in the big picture, im a nobody.

once you get shitty turntables, technics are cake. its cdjs you gotta stress on.

--- Original message by nytel on Mar 16, 2006 02:04 AM

How very LA of you.

"It's not about how well you mix, it's who you know?!" UNFORTUNATELY you're right, but don't brag about it hahahaha...

And honestly homie, YOU PLAY HOUSE. That shit is ELECTRO-HOUSE. All the hot pink on black hipsters try to make up cool names for it with "clash" or "trash" in it, but that shit is HOUSE, period. Don't be hipper-than-thou, know what it is.

Nice mix by the way, I feel that shit, I play some of the tracks on your mix out when I play. I'm not trying to hate u know, respect cuz u are doing it and playing good music... your post just sounded unecessarily cocky ("I can drop tracks every 2 minutes"-- Homie I can drop tracks every 16 bars, really I don't know why u gotta brag all day in your message) and, well, respect house cause it started all the shit u play. PS- The only house I play is shit u would like I'm serious... U just need to know it ain't some hipster discotrashelectropunkfunk whatever mane... that shit is house house house. Plus yo all the house classics, old Daft Punk standbys, etc, etc, THAT'S what's killing the clubs on the East... That shit will hit LA in say, 1 to 2 years...

What's a strato dj anyways?

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Edited by RedFoxxworth on Mar 16, 2006 at 08:55 AM

just get a 1200 like everyone is saying- going for anything else is a stupid idea because you usually can't resell it for half of the price you paid for it- just go buy a used 1200 and sell it for the same price you got it for if you end up not liking it. just a standard 1200mk2 will do, no need to drop more money on the new stuff.

Quote:

--- Original message by nytel on Mar 16, 2006 02:04 AM

PS- We should trade tracks hahaha.... I got that dancefloor fire!

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Edited by RedFoxxworth on Mar 16, 2006 at 09:02 AM

I have heard the worst mixing ever when visiting LA. In Beauty Bar, Teddys, and house parties. There seem to be turntables everywhere, but everyone is on so much blow they can put a mix together. I might also be that everyone tries to play eclectic which requires a lot of practice, experience and attention. I have heard some REALLY good eclectic DJs in LA though. It amazes me that so many people that make such sloppy mixes can play in these hip bars.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Quote:

check out http://www.turntablelab.com

they have a storefront in NYC and a new one in LA. Not cheap, but they have the quality goods.

--- Original message by kendocious on Mar 15, 2006 02:47 PM

I second the Turntable Lab recommendation, they've always been amazing. They sell quality and can help you pin down what you need if you're not sure. The website is a great resource for learning about all of the different dj/music making products on the market as well as new 12"s etc.

house this, house that. so what to do you call funk? like back in the day... to what punk funk is now... lcd soundsystem is house? shit if thats the case you can call the rolling stones - miss you, house as well... lol.. real house music can suck my guido raving ding dang

House has become such a huge genre. From the begining it was a generic term fo music that was played in warehouse parties in Chicago, Detroit, New York, and then London. House can kind of fall into two camps these days. There is Electro House and the stuff that still sounds like Chicago House with lots of Diva Vocals and stuff. Basicailly, I think if it has an organic sounding beat, it was meant to be danced to, and it is between 125-132 BPM it is house. There are a shitload of sub-gernes of house so if you want to further sub-classify things it is up to you.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

im not a house dj. house is for guidos & ravers and any other sport car driving dugged out hippies. house is dead. who do you know thats cool that still plays house music, or even listens to it. house is cookie cutter, repeative music. just because a band plays 4 by 4 beats doesnt mean its fucking house. get your shit straight and realise where the new music is at.

Good documentary on house music/early club culture:

http://www.maestro-documentary.com/

House music is not dead and is just as relevant today as it was in the 80's and 90's. There is lots of crap out there, senseless, repetative garbage, that people may think is "house" because of a 4/4 swing beat, synth stabs and diva-esque vocals, but don't get it twisted. House music is about the complexity of life, it's about SOUL and it's about movement - when it's done right deeply spiritual and uplifting, not at all mind numbing like lots of club music today.

As with any genre of underground music that blows up and gets misrepresented and misunderstood, an overflow of crap usually rises to the forefront simply because the music industry always dumbs down and dilutes the sound to the most basic marketable ingredients. House has such a rich history and deep roots, saying that it's dead is like saying jazz or rock is dead; aint gonna happen.

Like fashion, music genres come in and out of vogue. right now, more "rock" types of music are in the spotlight, but a few years ago, hip hop/soul/electronica were the darlings of the industry and influencing mainstream culture. those who stayed true to their craft are the ones who shine no matter the musical climate. just look at Masters at Work and naked music to name a couple purveyors of good house music. Good music is good music. been dj'ing for a long time and no matter what venue i play, the true classics of almost any genre can be played and receive love from the dancefloor. it's only playing for the younger crowds, who haven't done much living, who are more finicky and closed minded about music and only want to hear the latest trends no matter how garbage the content or quality of musicianship or lack of.

take a deep breath and welcome yourself back to reality. the only thing spirtual about dance music, is producing it, becoming a social icon and pulling the mass to your club to hear your shit. but as far all this spirtual shit... thats the holly rolling "preacher jack had a groove" house producers... that shit is flames. and there are no cool kids into house music unless its some twisted fucked up electro steeze. i love 4/4 dance music and some house music myself. i love big music on big sound systems i just hate how these house heads think everything with a 4 by 4 beat is house... thats just fuckin bullshit.

word, agree everything 4/4 is NOT house. my reference to the music being spiritual is my connection to good house music while dancing to it and feeling it even at bone empty clubs. never been a social icon, a house music producer or a drugged out raver either. a cool kid? well that's debateable. part of what i was saying is that good house is what will always stay afloat, even long after the cool kids say it's not cool anymore.

house music is part of a culture that's not dependent on what disconnected people think of it. its it's own thing and reflects the reality of those who partake in it. a real house head, someone who knows the history of it will also know the difference between sub par club music and real house music. i don't claim to be a house head, although i know many, i'm just a MUSIC head that appreciates music well done and respects the history of where it comes from and especially when it's loud on a good system.

Quote:

word, agree everything 4/4 is NOT house. my reference to the music being spiritual is my connection to good house music while dancing to it and feeling it even at bone empty clubs. never been a social icon, a house music producer or a drugged out raver either. a cool kid? well that's debateable. part of what i was saying is that good house is what will always stay afloat, even long after the cool kids say it's not cool anymore.

house music is part of a culture that's not dependent on what disconnected people think of it. its it's own thing and reflects the reality of those who partake in it. a real house head, someone who knows the history of it will also know the difference between sub par club music and real house music. i don't claim to be a house head, although i know many, i'm just a MUSIC head that appreciates music well done and respects the history of where it comes from and especially when it's loud on a good system.

--- Original message by Liu Soula on Mar 19, 2006 05:24 PM

word my friend, well put. =]