Turntables

I want to get a pair to make some RJD2, Madlib type stuff, and just do some basic scratching and live mixing. I'm very inclined to buy one of those "battle packs" but I know whenever I get into something I always want to step up what I have. For example as a novice guitar player I was intrigued by modeling amps, but eventualy realized tube amps were the way to go...

Does anyone know about this type of stuff.... Any reccomendations... not looking to spend too much cash because I have so much musical gear already, but I wan't a capable set up.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

yeah, 1200's are the standard.

I felt the same way you did when I started. As a junior in college I finally decided to get my own turntables and I started with a simple started pack. Cost like $300. I'm glad I went the cheap route because i realized how time consuming it is to get good.

They are packed away now and just another remnant of something I thought I would be dedicated to.

ha me too, freshmen year of high school i got the numark battle starter kit or whatever it's called. sucked, belt drive turntables, crappy speakers, but the mixer was ok. i couldn't do any of the scratches that i wanted so i lost interest. i only use it rarely to play some of my dad's old records.

if you are going to get into it, get a quarter way there and bounce, then don't start.

if you are serious, but don't want to drop the dollars on techs, check into the numark tt500s and the tt200s, both are good solid tables that will be cheper than techs. but personally, i would drop the dough and buy the technics b/c they have a decent resale value if you decide it is not for you etc.

Quote:

if you are going to get into it, get a quarter way there and bounce, then don't start.

if you are serious, but don't want to drop the dollars on techs, check into the numark tt500s and the tt200s, both are good solid tables that will be cheper than techs. but personally, i would drop the dough and buy the technics b/c they have a decent resale value if you decide it is not for you etc.

--- Original message by rigga on Mar 15, 2006 02:24 PM

I just want to try it out and see if I like it...

my favourite things

i agree with all of these guys... if you end up liking it, your 1200s will give you a lifetime of service, and if you don't you'll be able ot fetch close to your purchase price.

if you buy something low-end, you'll need to upgrade almost immediately as you get better and those old ones won't resell as well.

if you can afford only one, do that and use a cd player on the other side until you can buy the other one. that's all you really need anyway to do simple blends.

i'd also download pro tolls, etc and play with those as far as generating samples and getting used to the audio production. RJD2 is probably done on a computer anyway.

Quote:

i agree with all of these guys... if you end up liking it, your 1200s will give you a lifetime of service, and if you don't you'll be able ot fetch close to your purchase price.

if you buy something low-end, you'll need to upgrade almost immediately as you get better and those old ones won't resell as well.

if you can afford only one, do that and use a cd player on the other side until you can buy the other one. that's all you really need anyway to do simple blends.

i'd also download pro tolls, etc and play with those as far as generating samples and getting used to the audio production. RJD2 is probably done on a computer anyway.

--- Original message by mlproject on Mar 15, 2006 02:44 PM

read my posts... I'm already doing the pro tools thing... and RJ does it all on turntables and an mpc

my favourite things

Quote:

I am 18 but why do you say that...

And I've already been grabing samples from vinyl and making beats on my computer... I want to get into live production ala RJD2...

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Mar 15, 2006 02:15 PM

I don't know, I just feel like jumping into DJing that late, the competition is way too heavy.

Everyone is a DJ now. Everyone. So if you don't have experience on your side, you are in trouble. Unless you are a prodigy and then u are lucky.

And for me, it's like this:

Kids who start DJing now, especially later in life, it's almost like kids starting to skateboard cause of the Tony Hawk game...

I been DJing since I was 14. Kids were not buying turntables back then period. Now it's like mad tweens and teens are just getting DJ in a box sets for x-mas. I bet u anything, RJD2 and Madlib been doing that shit for a decade before now... If I were u I'd get on some next shit instead of trying to follow cats who put in yeeeeaaars and u are just starting...

But... if you do it, whatever u do don't get anything but 1200's or those TTwhatever Numarks. For real!

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Quote:
Quote:

I am 18 but why do you say that...

And I've already been grabing samples from vinyl and making beats on my computer... I want to get into live production ala RJD2...

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Mar 15, 2006 02:15 PM

I don't know, I just feel like jumping into DJing that late, the competition is way too heavy.

Everyone is a DJ now. Everyone. So if you don't have experience on your side, you are in trouble. Unless you are a prodigy and then u are lucky.

And for me, it's like this:

Kids who start DJing now, especially later in life, it's almost like kids starting to skateboard cause of the Tony Hawk game...

I been DJing since I was 14. Kids were not buying turntables back then period. Now it's like mad tweens and teens are just getting DJ in a box sets for x-mas. I bet u anything, RJD2 and Madlib been doing that shit for a decade before now... If I were u I'd get on some next shit instead of trying to follow cats who put in yeeeeaaars and u are just starting...

But... if you do it, whatever u do don't get anything but 1200's or those TTwhatever Numarks. For real!

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 15, 2006 03:46 PM

I definatley know what you are saying... And I agree with you 100 percent, but I have been doing production for a while and want to step it... its not like DJ is a current fad either...

my favourite things

1200's are the honda accord of turntables. i have tons of friends that started out on other shit then ended up just getting 1200's. so i would probably just get 1200's then if you dont like it, you can always sell it close to what you paid for it...as where anything else, you'll get hardly what you paid. it's like a guitar....why start out with crap? just buy a strat and go from there.....they're standards for a reason.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

Quote:

--- Original message by mlproject on Mar 15, 2006 02:44 PM

dont you need the protools dongle? or do they have emulators for that now? should have read your post first, you said everything iwas going to say.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

I bought my decks at 26 years old, so oh well, but I am a mix Dj and spin house. You should get 1200s, you can find them for much cheaper than I got mine for on craigslist. I see them here in the bay area for $200 sometimes. Once you pick up a 1200 you will know why they are the best. They weigh a ton and have the best feel. you can sometimes get a Rane TTM56 for under $350 on Cl as well. If you are just starting out, a cheap Behringer can be had for $45 on ebay and will be better than a vestax.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 15, 2006 at 09:59 PM

^^^^

Shut up.

I spin house too. What kind of house do you spin? :)

Edit: Shit, bay area eh? Do you go to the Stompy parties?

Edited by bed on Mar 15, 2006 at 10:40 PM

I spin basement jaxx, soul mekanik, chicken lips, anything on bedrock, Etienne de Crecy and stuff like that. I also play a lot of Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas, Ladytron, Royksopp and anything from Norway or Sweden. What are you into? I don't go out clubbing much anymore. I go to 111 minna sometimes. I am going out this weekend though to see KC Kahuna though.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Mar 15, 2006 at 10:47 PM

technic 1200, they don't go down in value much, and they are the standard in every club. Alternatively, Numark TTX's are pretty good, better torque than 1200, but the feel is slightly different, but then they are cheaper, and have more functions like +or- 50% pitch.

if your just getting started i would get one of those starter packs for like $300-$500. Most people just stop doing it after a few months anyways..

Ive been doing it for about 8-9 years, went through all kinds of weird setups but ended up with 1200's and a rane 56, not the best setup but pretty solid.

Quote:

I spin basement jaxx, soul mekanik, chicken lips, anything on bedrock, Etienne de Crecy and stuff like that. I also play a lot of Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas, Ladytron, Royksopp and anything from Norway or Sweden. What are you into? I don't go out clubbing much anymore. I go to 111 minna sometimes. I am going out this weekend though to see KC Kahuna though.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Mar 15, 2006 10:44 PM

I'm basically into the San Francisco and Chicago house sound. I play alot of the same tracks that Derrick Carter, Mark Farina, DJ Heather, Diz, and etc. play.

As for labels: Amenti, Oomph, Vista, Viva, Classic, Dust Trax, Om, Robsoul, Guesthouse, Peaches, Aroma, Dae, Flat & Round, Jackin, Fetish, and etc.

Here are some audio clips of the tracks I play:

Mark Farina - Radio (Phil Weeks Remix) [Robsoul]

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF199688-01-01-04.mp3

Rithma - Funk Is Still Alive (Joey Youngman Remix) [Om]

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF199688-01-01-07.mp3

Fred Everything - Studio C [Om]

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF199688-01-01-06.mp3

As for parties, I usually stick to the bar weeklies in Los Angeles and the monthly warehouse style parties. Keepin' it raw! :)

don't waste your time and money with the starter packs. get 1200's used, start with one and a cheap mixer if you have to, at least you'll be able to practice scratching and that's most important if you expect to incorporate dj'ing with making beats, aside from only being able to play your vinyl for sampling.

most non-1200 turns are such crap, they take the joy and potential for creativaty out of mixing and dj'ing. it's no wonder why many have posted that they gave up after a short period with those starter packs. i've been doing it since '88 and started with some ultra whack belt drives and a radio shack mixer. after i finally got 1200's in '92, shit got raised to whole other level, it was like practicing meditation and liking it, but never achieving enlightenment, but when i started using 1200's it was like being buddha blessed.

trust, if you bother with reading this forum to learn more about high quality fashion, then you'd know old navy jeans could never touch a pair of apc's and etc. the cheap shit never really fullfills what you want and always becomes money wasted that you could've put towards the real deal. so don't taint your experience because of a lack of ends, take your time to save and really look. you'll find 'em no doubt. don't listen to others who say your too old. if your doing it for yourself, then it don't matter. the music is what guides you and if that's what you feel inside, then follow it man. hip-hop, dj'ing, vinyl needs new people with vision to keep it going/alive. all the digital technology is cool and woo hoo, but seriously lacks SOUL and the touch of a human hand.

btw, i'm still using the same turns i bought in '92 and they're still going strong.