Curious, is it possible to wait too long to wash your denim...?

damnIam

Ah, they looked foreshortened so I didn't recognise them. They're the Nevada jeans, the ones that fetched $45k.

I was there when they had them at the LVC archives, as they examined them, it was amazing. They were antiques, 125 years old, yet you could have gone out on the street wearing them & looked pretty cool. Interesting that the denim expert they consulted got it so wrong...

I think they'd just been left in the same place for 120 years, and the indigo just leached out or oxidised where they lay. The mud must've been dry, or they'd have rotted, so probably the indigo leached into the mud decades ago. Natural indigo jeans like this don't normally get much in the way of whiskers etc, they fade in a completely different way.

AS I might've meniotned on here befoer, these jeans came before the 501. Lots of details like the stitching are different, they look much more like workwear, and have that extra pocket on one thigh. I really wish I could blag a pair of the repros that were made in 2001, they were terrific...

Sort of. THose are COne denim and are a weird composite based on the Nevada jeans, but with the later patch, on the right rather than the middle; there's a new version, from falll 05 I think, which is slightly better which I should be getting. I actually had a pair of the natural indigo version made in Valencia, but made the mistake of buying oversized. Looked like Coco the Clown.

Serge, I'm not allowed to pay money for jeans any more, but thanks for the heads up. I was allowed to buy these, but they're slightly too small for me...

Levis1880jr.jpg

Edited by Paul T on Mar 15, 2006 at 09:02 AM

RCA.jpg

I live near Camden, NJ, so maybe that's why this is the only Nipper that comes to mind. Makes for an interesting google image search, but not fruitful...

That said, I have no idea what your on about, Paul!!!

icon_smile.gif

"I want to die with myh bluejeans on," I heard myself say.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 15, 2006 at 12:52 PM

I got it now. You don't have huge floorboards, you've got small waist coveralls... I didn't catch the tone when you said they were slightly too small. Sorry, just watched Even Dwarfs Started Small and my sense of scale is distorted. icon_smile_blackeye.gif

"I want to die with my bluejeans on," I heard myself say.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 15, 2006 at 05:06 PM

Don't think there's too long a time, but there's def too short a time. The moron at TNT Blu told me to wash the Nudies in a month. TARD. I bet he's told that to all the customers, now there's lot's of fucked up denim out there.

Quote:

Don't think there's too long a time, but there's def too short a time. The moron at TNT Blu told me to wash the Nudies in a month. TARD. I bet he's told that to all the customers, now there's lot's of fucked up denim out there.

--- Original message by sunny on Mar 15, 2006 05:59 PM

Aaarrggh TNT Blu is AWFUL for stuff like that... I just got a pair of dry selvedge jeans hemmed there, and the retard sales assistant for some inexplicable reason wrote "original hem" on the ticket so that the tailor cut off and reattached the existing hem, basically leaving a horrific mess on the inside. When I complained and sent them back to be "fixed", I got them back yesterday a) slightly too short and B) more or less completely butchered. Now I've got to go back yet again and persuade them to give me a new pair or my $340 back, which I can see being difficult...

• 3 months later...
Aaarrggh TNT Blu is AWFUL for stuff like that... I just got a pair of dry selvedge jeans hemmed there, and the retard sales assistant for some inexplicable reason wrote "original hem" on the ticket so that the tailor cut off and reattached the existing hem, basically leaving a horrific mess on the inside. When I complained and sent them back to be "fixed", I got them back yesterday a) slightly too short and B) more or less completely butchered. Now I've got to go back yet again and persuade them to give me a new pair or my $340 back, which I can see being difficult...

that fucking sucks

hmmm. from what i've read, not washing your jeans for a long time accumulates oils and other organic matter in the fabric. over time, this will break down the fabric and lead to tears and holes. washing from time to time will actually prolong the life of your jeans. for very old denim, occasional washing is a good idea.

i actually think there is such a thing as "waiting too long to wash" if a) you want to your denim to last longer and B) if you don't want that permanently dirty look. if your denim construction is tough enough and the indigo was dyed thorough enough, you should be able to wash it in a certain cycle and achieve nice clean contrasty fades.

i actually think there is such a thing as "waiting too long to wash" if a) you want to your denim to last longer and B) if you don't want that permanently dirty look. if your denim construction is tough enough and the indigo was dyed thorough enough, you should be able to wash it in a certain cycle and achieve nice clean contrasty fades.

that's true. if you wait too long to wash, you will develop permanently dirty weft yarns, so your atari will be yellowish/brownish instead of a nice clean whitish.

• 11 months later...