What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

5701660453_8e63a79234_z.jpg

I would know this place anywhere -- that's Boris and his used shoe shop. I think I've been to this place every time I've been to NYC in the past several years because a friend of mine from Brooklyn somehow knows Boris.

As we were sitting there talking to Boris, people were trading their used shoes for his used shoes that weren't in any better condition. Homeless guys would also pay him $1 - $2 to glue/reinforce the soles of their sneakers.

At the bottom right corner, you can somewhat see his large battered Barney stuffed animal. That thing is so mangy and covered in burns, patches, and anarchy symbols. He said it was given to him by a punk band... possibly the Casualties. I have some pictures of it somewhere but can't seem to find em.

Boris and his shop are truly one of a kind. Must spread -Z-.

x-post from CONE x ROY thread

so today was the first time in two weeks i went back to work at my weekend job. last week was spent mourning the passing of my gramps and the week before last was spent in and out of hospital a lot.

so today when i got to work, i found to my dismay that the lock to the shutter was changed without my knowledge and because of this i didnt have the new keys so there was a mad rush and a lot of scurrying back and forth so that i could get the new keys for the shop so i could open up for business. had to go somewhere else to grab a spare set of keys from my colleague..

but amid the rush of madness of course i could find time to pick some yoghurt up. havent had these in a really long time and its my favourite comination. natural mixed with peach flavoured yoghurt. mixed nuts and cranberries as toppings. GOOD!

R1003395.jpg

one of the many luxury brand stores situated in the mall that i had to go to. sitting in the heart of the shopping district, at least there was good old air conditioning which was reprive from the sweltering heat outside.

R1003398.jpg

finally after all that rush i managed to open the store for business. busy day today with a whole load of transactions which was good for the company. headed out across the road for a quick purchase of some fancy paper for a project.

R1003399.jpg

after work ended at 9pm, i went over to another store to check out a friend's collection launch and pick some stuff up for my girl as well. not my cup of tea but nina nikicio is a really nice person. good stuff if you're into things like that. a lot of black drapey ladies clothing.

R1003411.jpg

where the launch was held. the girl used to work there when she was back during the last trip. sorry for the bad framing on my end. the signs were designed by local customiser SBTG known for his work on nike trainers.

R1003410.jpg

blackmarket no.2 is a pretty rad store. i love great spaces with great design. can never go wrong with great store design.

R1003409.jpg

they've also got some consignment goods on sale as well. the bicycle is amazing. wished i had the money for it. look at how it glimmers in the light.

R1003413.jpg

ending the night now, exhausted from not being used to working a 7 day week after 2 weeks of absence. i leave you guys with a fit pic. cheers.

R1003407.jpg

R1003404.jpg

@Max, this is the first time I didn't see any alcohol in your pics, LOL!

elegant coffee place and nice shirt.

@Baeyer-Drewson, nice to see familiar buildings in Singapore.

Hope your have a good time there :)

Since you are at Arab Street, you can come visit my leather shop :)

Great pics, Ranon! You're right about good interior design for stores, makes a world of difference. Although this is common throughout (first-world) Asia, sadly, retailers in Australia have not caught on yet and most of our stores feature pretty lazy interiors. Boring.

@Baeyer-Drewson, nice to see familiar buildings in Singapore.

Hope your have a good time there :)

Since you are at Arab Street, you can come visit my leather shop :)

hey OBG! I did come to your shop! Haha... You prob don't remember me but I was there with my girlfriend (short dakr-haired du with leggy blonde girlfriend) about three weeks ago. Great store, I really wanted to buy a new wallet but I just can't part with my Corter-made wallet at the moment. Singapore was really great! I'll definitely be back soon and I'll grab some leather goods then!

Here are some pics from my third day in SG. Pulled tea for breakfast mmmmm...

img4041e1.jpg

And then I had to track down that amazing art deco building (Parkview Square) for a better look.

img4044m.jpg

The forecourt had all sorts of art deco-inspired ornamentation. Reminded me so much of Bioshock...img4053lt.jpg

img4050y.jpg

Bronze statues of a whole list of great thinkers, artists, and political leaders from history...

img4059c.jpg

img4056.jpg

Inside was one of the most impressive foyers I've ever seen. Around the central raised area you can see here there was a walkway lined with orchids and just crazy levels of art deco detail on every surface. Unfortunately, I accidentally left the flash on giving this mediocre view and forcing one of about eight patrolling security guards to inform me that there was no photography. Quite disaapointing really when it's such a grand lobby. I figured it was some sort of fancy hotel (peep the bar with grand piano above it, etc.) but apparently it is all office space. Would love to work here!

img4057gz.jpg

went to the airshow at Langley AFB today. love this stuff!

IMAG0619.jpg

Eternal JimmyC shirt, Eternal Jeans

IMAG0604.jpg

the C-17

IMAG0608.jpg

inside

IMAG0609.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

a highlight at the show, Fifi, the only operable B-17 in the world. this is WWII Pacific era stuff guys...

IMAG0618.jpg

one of my fav's, the Navy's F-18

IMAG0605.jpg

Air Force F-15. i forgot to take pic's of the F-22's. didn't have my other cam so all this is from my celly yo.

IMAG0631.jpg

crowd stuff

IMAG0625.jpg

killer mullet

IMAG0627.jpg

Quinn gettin ready to fire up Fifi!!!

IMAG0617.jpg

two vids of the Thunderbirds performing

RrO8TjSjfUU

this a great trick that i've seen before. i call it the distraction. they get you looking one way and then one of the two "solos" comes outta nowhere.

_IkoNXtK7V8

Man. Summer feels good. Throughout this week, I was literally in my room studying my ass off. I'm glad that school is over. Finals will surely kill me one day.

Well, I went out today and enjoyed the beach with my girlfriend. Kaka'ako beach has one of the best sunset hotspots on Oahu.

5721657691_03062c0ac5_z.jpg

Cult by aznkrnboi, on Flickr

5721139257_e4e833df20_z.jpg

Over The Horizon by aznkrnboi, on Flickr

Edit: Some more goodies from today!

5721138995_92f68e469c_z.jpg

Good Night Kaka'ako by aznkrnboi, on Flickr

5721657277_0b5ced6feb_z.jpg

The Sunset Wedding by aznkrnboi, on Flickr

So, I invited some good friends for breakfast today. I played discjockey and pulled out Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Robert Johnson.

I made Kaiserschmarrn, Carmen brought strawberry pie that was delicious.

And, as James was disappointed that no alcohol was involved in yesterdays pictures, we had some 14 year Old Clynelish and as I was in the mood to celebrate, the 30 YO Strathisla.

No wonder I'm starting to get fat and look desoriented...

dsc00989zm.jpg

dsc00992pk.jpg

dsc00996a.jpg

dsc00998fh.jpg

dsc00999pz.jpg

Cheers to you, friends...

Day 3 in Singapore (cont.):

Had some martabak @ Zam Zam's... inifinitely better than anything I've had in Australia (although they were Indonesian martabaks, to be fair).

img4045hm.jpg

img4048d.jpg

Stayed a couple of nights at New Majestic Boutique hotel...

img4072.jpg

Weird geometric grass sculpture out the front and lots of wacky, misplaced shit in the lobby...

img4080i.jpg

img4079y.jpg

The room had a glass-walled bath as the centre with the bed in front (adjoining a balcony) and the bathroom behind.

img4076do.jpg

img4063wk.jpg

The pool was just awesome. Three big portholes in the bottom that looked down over the fine-dining restaurant below... Best at night-time...

img4077.jpg

img4124u.jpg

img4125b.jpg

We went to check out Haw Par Villa, established by Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par, the founders of Tiger Balm, on account of a friend who is addicted to the miracle cream.

img4116o.jpg

img4085en.jpg

img4081p.jpg

img4087n.jpg

The main attraction at this bizarre park was the "Ten Circles of Hell" where you can see dioramas depicting the various horrible deaths that await you for comitting certain types of sins or crimes.

img4088a.jpg

img4091i.jpg

img4094x.jpg

img4099.jpg

This one was particularly nice, crushed under a giant stone in the fourth circle of hell. I think the crime was something particularly heinous like "being disobedient to ones siblings".

img4100x.jpg

img4103k.jpg

Xpost part II

A few more

This reminded me of DocBlue's set up

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8905.jpg

IMG_8909.jpg

IMG_8910.jpg

IMG_8914.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

Bought these

IMG_8908.jpg

Ate this

IMG_8896.jpg

Saw this on the drive home

IMG_8945.jpg

Back to Queens

IMG_8947.jpg

I had a great time. There was too much to see and buy. There were over 10 fields and hundreds of dealers. Picked up a couple of hat boxes, wooden crates, a wrench, a pulley and a magazine rack. Next time, I'll probably go during the week. I'm pretty sure most of the good stuff was long gone by Saturday. For some reason, there were a ton of stoneware jugs. It seems everyone was selling these jugs and prices varied from $18-$125. I guess they are very popular. Looking forward to Rose Bowl next month.

More torture at Haw Par Villa. This place was amazing. Especially when the majority of tourists were parents with their small children. Ultimate fear-mongering status.

img4104fr.jpg

img4107w.jpg

Warrant for having your skull sawed in half in the afterlife? Probably something irreprievable like hubcap theft...

img4109u.jpg

img4111.jpg

img4112v.jpg

img4113n.jpg

img4105b.jpg

Went to Maxwell food centre on the way back to hotel for some quick fish bee hoon soup with lime drink. Singapore's hawker centres are the best. The fish bee hoon place had the longest queue so you just know it had to be good...

img4127y.jpg

img4128ro.jpg

img4131bz.jpg

@Max, looks like an enjoyable weekend for you, my friend. I'd love to eat your home-made Kaiserschmarrn if I got the chance :)

@Baeyer-Drewson, you sure know what to eat in Singapore, eh? Zam-Zam, fish bee hoon soup... these are our hawker's delicacies :)

Haw Par Villa is still as scary as when I visited when I was a small boy, LOL!

Just like This Sunday, went to a garage sale, flea market, but we call it vide grenier in France :)

Donkey rides for the kids

P5153453.jpg

still unable to figure out, wat's the use of hanging a bunch of pacifiers on the saddle...

P5153457.jpg

The start

P5153462.jpg

vintage meteor forecaster, i believe

P5153463.jpg

antique sewing machine

P5153464.jpg

peugeot racer

P5153465.jpg

wrangler scarf

P5153466.jpg

B.D haha you are a true local and that is true local speak when you said "you know its good cos the queues are long". we do that all the time and that is why singaporeans love joining queues. those are 2 good places to eat at, especially the fish bee hoon, was surprised you went all the way! being singaporean i have never been to H.P.V before which is weird but the 10 levels of hell is like next level mortal kombat "fatality". HA!

thissunday and obbigood, love the flea markets. treasures abound to be found. hope you picked up some good stuff james.

^^Max, NICE selection of whiskys on that shelf. That 30 yr. Strathisla would be about $150 bucks in the states. I dig ike the sherry cask ones like this....

Must spread.....

Another busy week of Mandarin...that's not changing any time soon, had the camera with all week but was running around to dinner and whatever else at night so I didn't get much time to shoot. Didn't even get my Eternal's picked up from Self Edge, need to get on that ASAP.

Food update? I should really start taking pictures of food again since i've been eating really well, looking back through my Yelps I ate dinner Sunday through Saturday at Serendipity, Cornerstone Tavern, Ninja, Les Halles, Ippudo, 1, 2, 3, (mainly for the $2 shots...) and Spice. Had brunch at Philip Marie as well, get the crab cake eggs benedict, its great. Not all my choices on those places (especially Ninja, way overpriced, though my lamb was really great, but the atmosphere is childish at best)

Here are shots from the last week, attempting to put them into some sort of chronological order.

5724859741_88fbc66b06_z.jpg

5724860847_fbb3e79d94_z.jpg

5724851843_fb3ca5902f_z.jpg

5724853191_ef9f1534c9_z.jpg

5724850601_f2e31b7179_z.jpg

5724869555_a85661dbbf_z.jpg

5725428862_76bbe51ba8_z.jpg

5725413680_37a25bdd9c_z.jpg

5725411868_ebc5813dfe_z.jpg

5724855695_f31896de82_z.jpg

Overall having a blast shooting around town. only shot 73 frames this past week, I hope to have more to share soon.

Your photos always look so crisp, z. Love your work.

Continued the tourist cliches in Singapore and went to the night zoo. Nothing really to show here because all the photos I took of animals are just black rectangles. Was a pretty cool zoo tho. My jeans and me in a random waywt earlier in the day.

img4071e.jpg

gf chillin in her dry bones...

img4134e.jpg

leopard chillin in its spots...

img4136ts.jpg

continuing with the tiger balm theme (god that stuff is addictive):

img4148.jpg

some random cwg's getting their feet cleaned by "doctor fish".

img4149in.jpg

stopped by Newton food centre on the way home to satisfy that street food craving. place was still buzzing at about 1 am.

img4151rg.jpg

img4154ia.jpg

img4153mp.jpg

Checked out some temples,

img4162mn.jpg

checked out some more temples,

img4163t.jpg

some more temples... (to consumerism)...

img4167e.jpg

Rode a really long escalator to get some chow chow.

img4170hd.jpg

img4173x.jpg

Got taken to some awesome late night dim sum (no vis), followed by a few traditional Chinese soy desserts, by Ranononarant. My first ever real life SuFu meet up! My gf found the SuFu meet-up concept "weird" at first but was very charmed by Ranon :) We owe you and your girlfriend some dinner when you're next in Aus!

img4177t.jpg

Saw an interesting sticker on the way out of the bean curd place...

img4180sx.jpg

And that was pretty much the last thing I saw in Singapore. Really enjoyed my brief stay in SG and I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Asia... Super cool place!

Sorry we didn't get to meet up, Minou! I didn't have international roaming sorted and just ran out of time. Definitely let me know when you're in Sydney, we'll grab a few beers!

X-post from Heavyweight Denim Championship - thread!

HUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuge picture update !!!

so i was pretty active at the weekend.

at first i took some shots again:

Photography Post Vol.2 - #1

Photography Post Vol.2 - #2

so on sunday i went to Bern again, after i was the first time (2.5months ago, for a traineeship interview, which i`m now in!)...

i was at the famous "Albert Einstein House, the famous "Zeitglockenturm" (=clock tower) and the famous "Bärengraben" (=bear ditch?)...

From now on i`ll let the pics do the talking :)

the arrival

bild001uy.jpg

then i had to get up there, using...

bild014jy.jpg

...the lift o/course :) 1.20CHF

bild015e.jpg

the view from up top

(you might can see the bear in the middle, but we`ll get to that later)

bild021kd.jpg

some nice gardens (for roy6 to work in!)

bild017rb.jpg

bild026yp.jpg

an great lookind old house

bild029cn.jpg

one of the churches

bild039g.jpg

to cont.

X-post from HDC-thread

cont.1

finally got to the inner-city

bild040p.jpg

some nice sculptures on top of the fountain

bild044j.jpg

in front of the Albert Einstein House

bild069p.jpg

bild046a.jpg

same text as above

bild047l.jpg

inside there was sth. to read

bild049.jpg

i mean a lot to read :)

bild050k.jpg

bild054g.jpg

as well as a bronze-statue of Einstein

bild053t.jpg

to cont.

X-Post HDC-thread

cont.2

finished reading and down the steps i went

bild055v.jpg

there even was a little caffee before the exit

bild062i.jpg

Einstein everywhere :)

bild070s.jpg

back on the streets again

bild063p.jpg

you already can see the clock tower ("Zeitglockenturm")

bild065c.jpg

bild079x.jpg

done with sightseeing this old train passed by

bild088pt.jpg

bild091g.jpg

bild094k.jpg

to cont.