edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

What do I want in my knife?

That's a good question...

I don't know? My interest lies in seeing how a well thought out EDC will influence my day to day.

Your point about the opening system is duly noted.

edit: just got a black victorinox manager to start my edc. figured a simple multitool would be sensible.

next i'm eyeing the spyderco cricket and MiNi AA next.

branspload: where you do get all your little clips and rings for your keychains?

^ yeah but berkeley point failed me the first time i used them and sent me $25 worth of titanium when i only paid for a $4 clip lol.

you can also try lighthound and jsburly for mcgizmo clips. don't get anything under the 20mm, 15mm is too small to be useful.

been creeping this thread for a while, ready to make some purchases!

looking to cop a laguiole knife, should i get this?

on sale for 23.99

\

i'm torn between this and the spyderco cricket.

HELP.

dude only get a laguiole from a french manufacturer

think: forge laguiole, fontenille pataud...

i got a sub 100 laguoile just out of morbid curiosity--------no comparison

and yeah, not really an ideal EDC knife unless you herd sheep

why are you just limiting your options to the laguiole or the cricket? there are so many other knives out there that may suit your needs/tastes better. same could be said for the multitool and flashlight. what do you see yourself needing these for?? any idea?

give us some ideas and maybe we can help you out :)

im a little confused

im looking on ebay for a benchmade mini-griptillian (cabella's olive green version with d2 steel) and all the ones i'm seeing either have a serrated edge with a full blade or a straight edge with a hole in the blade. is there a straight edge without the hole in the blade or does that not exist?

(by hole, I mean like this: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/1/0/2/0/webimg/60984336_tp.jpg)

im a little confused

im looking on ebay for a benchmade mini-griptillian (cabella's olive green version with d2 steel) and all the ones i'm seeing either have a serrated edge with a full blade or a straight edge with a hole in the blade. is there a straight edge without the hole in the blade or does that not exist?

(by hole, I mean like this: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/1/0/2/0/webimg/60984336_tp.jpg)

sup

you can buy it here:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0022073516109a.shtml

for full price though. i'm sure you can get it cheaper somewhere else. the ones that you are seeing are the 550HG and the 555HG. HG stands for hollow ground...i think. i'm not a fan of the hollow grind. IMO it doesnt slice as well as a flat grind. which some people will argue against.

but why do you want d2 steel and not 154cm?

the perfect grip is the ritter grip, imo. kenthenoob can chime in on this one too. it's almost a full flat grind for excellent slicing, and it has an s30v blade. which imo is A LOT better than d2.

honestly it's just cuz I like the black blade against the olive drab, rather than a stonewashed blade against the bright blue or yellow grip. considering I won't be using it for any sort of heavy duty stuff, i don't really mind the weaker steel. if I could find the 154cm in the flat grind black i'd hop on that as well.

also i really like the fact that the black will slowly age with use, like this one, which happens to be in 154cm: http://i.ebayimg.com/08/%21Bh%2848N%21CGk%7E$%28KGrHqEH-DkEsLt%29kYrwBLI36VBn1Q%7E%7E_3.JPG

jonle's correct there. d2 steel is harder to sharpen, so maintain the edge every now and then. they only coated it because d2 is a high carbon steel, which means it'll rust on you. but yeah, black looks nice on the od. WHY DON'T YOU GET THE RITTER GRIP? i think it's aeromedix.com that sells it.

why are you just limiting your options to the laguiole or the cricket? there are so many other knives out there that may suit your needs/tastes better. same could be said for the multitool and flashlight. what do you see yourself needing these for?? any idea?

give us some ideas and maybe we can help you out :)

I'm interested in the Spyderco Cricket because I saw your edc video and the knife just looked slick and small.

I'm not sure what my day to day use will be, I work on the line in a fine dining kitchen so I already have a bag full of a japanese knives, so I'd be using this for breaking down boxes, opening packages, etc. etc.

The victorinox manager will be on the keychain with my pico widgy pry bar and keys and such.

I'm really fiending for the Quark Mini AA, as well. :(

before this thread I used to check his site religiously in order of just catching the right moment. Mostly because the rss feeds aren't worth shit and they're away's too slow. I actually had pretty good luck with catching the link to buy. I've seen um prob 7 or 8 times so far. Wish there was an easier way, but I guess it would take some of the fun/frustration out of snagging one.

I'm interested in the Spyderco Cricket because I saw your edc video and the knife just looked slick and small.

I'm not sure what my day to day use will be, I work on the line in a fine dining kitchen so I already have a bag full of a japanese knives, so I'd be using this for breaking down boxes, opening packages, etc. etc.

The victorinox manager will be on the keychain with my pico widgy pry bar and keys and such.

I'm really fiending for the Quark Mini AA, as well. :(

well, if you're looking for something thin/small then the cricket won't disappoint. the manager also has the perfect amount/types of tools for me, and 4sevens lights are my fav

i can't do anything but recommend those items since i use them myself haha

give 'em a try~

^ E01 is a good starter light but it really really really leaves much to be desired

once i upgraded from the E01 to a CREE LED i cant even imagine going back to it

the beam on the E01 is asymmetric, blue/purple, and just weird. if you drop a few extra bucks and go for the ITP EOS A3 or something you can get 3 modes and a CREE LED in a similar sized package.

The ITP looks nice, but it's ugly. Are there any other options in that price range before I just outright step to the MiNi AA ?

If I could do it all over, I would have skipped buying the Fenix E01, then upgrading to the LD01, then the PD20, my Eagletac P10C2, etc

but the thing is without threads like this or other friends who EDC you won't really know til you try it, and it's a costly trial-and-error process.

If you get the Mini AA you can have your E01 brightness/runtime/durability if you just keep it on low mode the entire time. If you throw in an Eneloop NiMH battery it can be like a slightly brighter version of the ITP. If you buy a 14500 size protected Li-Ion rechargable battery and charger, you can have the brightness of a full sized flashlight (~200 OTF lumens) in a portable keychain solution.

The Mini AA in this way is very versatile and I would just cut to the chase and get that + 14500 and a charger

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=206

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=207