edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

Why not pick a pen that functions well as a pen, not one that just looks good?

Well that's precisely what I'm asking... do you have any experience with the pen in question? Does it function poorly? Adequately? you get the idea...

and though this pen certainly does look good that's hardly the extent of its allure. For starters, it's made primarily of metal, which is not always the easiest thing to find.

I'm also sort of intrigued by having a ballpoint again. The last time I really used one as my primary writing instrument was probably sometime in highschool or college. Though I would never use it for a lot of sketching, etc I can't imagine why it would be bad most uses...

I don't think many people here will have specific experience with many pens other than the standard drug store selection or the variety over on jetpens.com which are are mostly Japanese pens.

Atleast that's what I've gathered from seeing the past writing instrument discussion of this thread.

I am thinking Fenix E01 now. I just need a backup light, and if I decide I can't take the extra bulk, I will trade it with my wife's Photon II.

I had the Quark Mini CR2 TI in my cart but that may be overkill for my needs.

For those keeping score at home, I sold off my Prybaby. The Chigger on my keychain does everything I would ask of the larger prybaby. Carrying both is redundant, for me, anyway.

whats the major difference between the CR2 and the 123?

and why can you not use the rechargable batteries with the quark mini 123?

im really wanting to grab one of these for xmas

also anyone know where i can pick up some split rings/lobster clips? all the ones at hardware stores here are ridiculously big.

whats the major difference between the CR2 and the 123?

and why can you not use the rechargable batteries with the quark mini 123?

1. Assuming you're looking at the available selection, the battery and the emitter. Looks like 4sevens is phasing out the mini123 XP-G R5, as they no longer carry it (unless im just missing it) and they only have the aluminum mini123 in S2 now. The CR2 aluminum is still available in R5, and is still on sale. Other than that, its just the battery is different.

2. Technically you can, but because the light itself is so small, powering it with the normally higher voltage of rcr123 (rechargeable 123's), means that you're overdriving it in a sense which will create more heat which the mini123 isn't very good at dissipating. You can run rechargeables in it, as long as you don't let it get too hot. It WILL work though.

to add on to f5f

of course the battery being different means the sizes will be different. the cr2 is significantly smaller than the 123, which was already small to begin with.

and to clarify #2

you are not overdriving the light at all -- it is regulated to handle 3.7V, meaning you will retain modes (ie not go into direct drive) etc. you just have less thermal mass in general to dissipate heat.

1. Assuming you're looking at the available selection, the battery and the emitter. Looks like 4sevens is phasing out the mini123 XP-G R5, as they no longer carry it (unless im just missing it) and they only have the aluminum mini123 in S2 now. The CR2 aluminum is still available in R5, and is still on sale. Other than that, its just the battery is different.

2. Technically you can, but because the light itself is so small, powering it with the normally higher voltage of rcr123 (rechargeable 123's), means that you're overdriving it in a sense which will create more heat which the mini123 isn't very good at dissipating. You can run rechargeables in it, as long as you don't let it get too hot. It WILL work though.

I see.

hmm. . .well the free batteries for life on the cr2 is REALLY enticing. i cant see myself using more than 5 batteries in a year much less 6 months

I'd be getting the titanium either way just because

to add on to f5f

of course the battery being different means the sizes will be different. the cr2 is significantly smaller than the 123, which was already small to begin with.

and to clarify #2

you are not overdriving the light at all -- it is regulated to handle 3.7V, meaning you will retain modes (ie not go into direct drive) etc. you just have less thermal mass in general to dissipate heat.

oh i see

well im a really small guy (5'3") so my jeans are scaled accordingly. i think the cr2 might be a better choice in this case, as my pockets arent the largest (chap stick barely fits in my coin pocket)

now to find a good place to get some split rings/lobster clips that arent stupidly big

the first time i bought from BP they sent me the wrong order -- it was a gigantic titanium mcgizmo clip that's probably worth way more than what i paid

i did the right thing and returned it though and got my order corrected. and what i ordered originally ended up sucking.

buuuuut mcgizmo clips are pretty good. i advise you stay away from the two smallest sizes though. insufficient gate resistance

@itschad: i have a feeling 35percent posted it. i should've added it to the OP #whoops