edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

yea but i still dont think strobe offers an advantage over turbo.

if u use strobe u might disorient yourself (ever looked at something you're strobing? everything strobes and flashes lol) or u might attract unwanted attention that could put either more innocent people in danger or put you in a worse situation. idk. i just dont like self defense scenarios haha

just made my order for a quark mini 123, first edc light.

for 43 dollars Australian I can't complain (thanks for the code branespload)

bought it based on your positive review.

Cool man, I hope it works out. Both my brother and I use those for now. I'm actually replacing mine with the Mini CR2 with a neutral white XP-G R4, so I'll get a smaller package (lulz) but about the same brightness and beam pattern in a neutral tint. win all around, mirite? should be here today, actually. i'll keep you guys posted~

EDIT: WAT MAIL DOESNT COME TODAY?? FFUFFUFUFUUUU

I like the CR2 form factor but i'm too lazy to carry around different types of batteries... cr123 makes life easy but larger :-/

Co-sign this. The convenience of cr123s is a huge bonus. And I don't mind the larger size of the Quark Regular. Clicky ;)

As always, I'll be lookin forward to some cool pictures brane :cool:

Hmn... Thanks for all the great advice. I think the quark regular is probably the best bet. Any opinions on the clip or no clip? Is the clip good like the surefire or is it flimsy...

Also, If you can run, I'd agree that a single bright burst of light would be most effective, but I can't plan on always being in a situation where running is an option. I might have a friend with me, I might be somewhere unfamiliar, I might be in an enclosed area etc... In that case I think a strobe might allow for a slight time advantage against an assailant. I'm thinking about crowded in door areas, clubs, bars, conventions, sporting events, etc. basically places I take take people I care about to enjoy a good time, IMHO its always best to be prepared.

Are you just pulling this out of your ass? Or do you have any experience with self defense or so much as read an article on the subject? You're not going to be chilling and strobing a guy and cause him to become disoriented. You either beam him, cause him to wince, and get out of there, or beam him, and go on the offensive. Strobing for defense is unrealistic.

A prolonged strobe will also draw more attention to yourself. What if you're in a bar and the guy's friend sees you and sucker punches you because you have tunnel vision and didnt scan your surroundings. A quick beam burst will allow you to neutralize the threat briefly, allow you to scan and look for a way out, get help, or go on the offensive. The worst thing you can do is stand there with an obnoxiously bright blinking light.

As a test, blond yourself in the day and night and see how effective it really is, I think you'll be surprised.

I highly suggest you read about the subject and take a self defense course.

Great stuff JL. Have you found the Utili-Key to be convenient at anytime? I had it on my keys for a couple of days but found it to be nothing more then deadweight. Minimalist, I removed that shit and got a Victorinox Classic for like $10 at Target. Much more useful.

yo 35% you have the EX10 right? is yours Q5 or R2, SP or ramping, etc? so many different emitter/UI combos i'm wondering which one i'll end up with..

jan: subcom appears to be p. popular, haven't heard many complaints about it either. gonna spring for the titan vers?

deez: the ld01 i have is stainless, it's kinda scratched up and a little heavy but it feels substantial. it's got a smooth reflector so the beam isn't thaaat smooth but it sits deep and throws pretty well for a light of its size. i think its a Q5 so it's not the brightest out there, but if you slip in a 10440 lithium ion the thing is a real pocket rocket, like screaming bright. oh and the head is kind of hard to turn single handedly. i gotta clean threads + lube oring but i dont have lube. :|

Great stuff JL. Have you found the Utili-Key to be convenient at anytime? I had it on my keys for a couple of days but found it to be nothing more then deadweight.

I've had it on me for about 2 weeks and have found it useful enough to keep around. The main reason I bought it was to have a handy eyeglass screwdriver for my sunglasses. As secondary functions, the bottle opener and blade have come in handy.

For those of you asking about the wallet, it was a custom bi-fold made by Corter about 2 years ago.

@brane - I have the Smart PD R2. Hold to ramp up/down, double click and release to go to the lowest, double click and hold to go to brightest. And it remembers the last brightness you had on it.

I like it a lot. I keep it on the brightest setting, and if I need a lower i quick ramp down, then ramp up to about 20-30 lumens. This is enough to find stuff and doesnt effect your eyes when adjusted to low light.

The piston system is VERY quiet, like unless you smash the button down fast you can't hear anything, and even then it's nowhere near a clicky sound.