• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To heartsandcrafts

Pi by Givenchy

Burberry Brit

Creed Sliver Mountain

Hanae Mori

springs to mind.

Madgrad, how's the take on Pi? I have one full bottle, dunno if I should keep it. I like it, but the vanilla notes doesn't really go well with my styles of clothes.

Getsuga Tenshou[

Edited by DJ_Flame on Feb 21, 2006 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a scent for me?

I want something that smells, sweet (but not floral or citrus), spicy, and a little masculine (but not musky).

--- Original message by heartsandcrafts on Feb 21, 2006 07:25 PM

Just pick what you like the smell of.

--- Original message by Tabris on Feb 21, 2006 08:27 PM

i like the smell of wetdog.

someone took my niketalk name here.

Quote: i want little to no scent, beyond laundry detergent and if i put on skin cream that day. i definitely dont want to smell my deodorant, that makes me even sicker

true...i tend to smell like oldspice puresport and tide.

otherdays i smell like ballcheese.

someone took my niketalk name here.

Quote:
Quote:

now we're in my area of expertise!

Creed Green Irish Tweed (fresh smell for office work, Cool Water is a direct rip of this one)

Serge Lutens Arabie (smells like I'm wearing a spice shop)

Creed Bois due Portugal( crisp dry woods with an ambery drydown)

Havana by Aramis (tobacco and spices)

Opium EDP by YSL(seductive spice cake type scent)

Ungaro III (Very masculine rose and woods smell)

Bond No 9 New Haarlem (The best gourmand I own, cocoa and patchouli)

If anyone wants any recommendations, let me know. I've owned a couple of hundred colognes in my life, it's one of my main hobbies.

--- Original message by madgrad on Feb 21, 2006 08:39 AM

Great with expertise, you can help me out if you want to..

My favourites (without beeing based on any noticable empirical knowledge) are:

Givenchy Pour Homme & Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue.

I see both of them as mostly suitable for eveningwear, though i think Miyake can work daytime just as good, if not a little better... maybe.. i don't know.

However, i would like to expand my view and maybe get hold of similar (and possibly better) alternatives. So, any recomendations would be very much appreciated!

--- Original message by iohan on Feb 21, 2006 09:25 AM

Issey's products are by and large not suited to nightime/formal use as they are crisp and light. The original and Bleue are both daytime casual and office type fragrances that I really wouldn't wear out at night.

That being said if you want an alternative to Issey, check out Kenzo Pour Homme, Creed Erolfa and Bond No9 New Hamptons. All excellent aquatics, especially the Creed

Their incense and tea lines are second to none in my opinion, very affordable too. Their more experimental scents like 2 (smells like ink) and the odeur 53/71 cross the line for me from being exciting and wearable scents to something avant garde that I can't really find and occassion for. They are unique just not really useable.

Note: 2 and 2 Man are not the same, 2 man is a nice smokey/woodsy scent that is very masculine

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a scent for me?

I want something that smells, sweet (but not floral or citrus), spicy, and a little masculine (but not musky).

--- Original message by heartsandcrafts on Feb 21, 2006 07:25 PM

If you can find either one, the original Montana pour Homme or Havana by Armais would both fit the bill. They are discontinued and hard to find, however they both share similar spice notes. Montana is more pure spice with an orange accord, Havana blends in tobacco and bay rum. I prefer the Havana but unless you're paying attention they smell quite similar if sprayed side by side.

For something that is available today...

Opium pour Homme EdP strength by YSL. Sweet, creamy, a touch of spice like a spiced caked, lasts forever and a day. Inexpensive as well.

B*men by Thierry Mugler. Tones down the pure and too sweet chocolate of A*men and adds some spices

Cologne is for use only if:

1) You are gay.

2) You haven't showered in three (3) days, after which you may apply cologne one (1) time per day until you shower again.

3) You are trying to mack some wack chick who likes "clubbing, shopping, and hanging with the hotties," in which case you may use cologne only on the first date.

And I hate perfume on girls. It hurts my nose and smells like a slut. I like girls that smell like nothing.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Quote:

Cologne is for use only if:

1) You are gay.

2) You haven't showered in three (3) days, after which you may apply cologne one (1) time per day until you shower again.

3) You are trying to mack some wack chick who likes "clubbing, shopping, and hanging with the hotties," in which case you may use cologne only on the first date.

And I hate perfume on girls. It hurts my nose and smells like a slut. I like girls that smell like nothing.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Feb 22, 2006 09:53 AM

Congratulations on being a close minded ass and dismissing the centuries old art of perfumery to the likes of homosexuals and those with poor hygiene.

Although I'm sure this comment will fall of deaf ears I am not a homosexual, I shower at least once a day and I'm already in a relationship, and amazing I still wear cologne which doesn't make me smell like a french whore house yet still garners daily compliments.

A comment of this nature in a thread about cologne is the intellectual equivalent of wandering into a dry denim thread and bellowing out that anyone who wears jeans for more than six months without washing is a moron. And in case you're a little too dense to make the connection: You're retarded.

Sorry, I was having a bad day. I was facetious anyways. But I hate perfumes. And maybe they should return to the root of their centuries old art (natural essence combinations) instead of making synthetic scents that make my nostrils feel like they are getting raped.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Quote:

oh yeah i got another question. how do you (anyone) personally apply it? I usually do 1 spray from arms length towards the center of my torso. But i have also heard people say that you should spray it into the air and let it fall on you...

--- Original message by heartsandcrafts on Feb 22, 2006 11:40 PM

Ideally, you want to apply it at your pulse points (wrists and neck) as these are the warmest points of your body.

Some ppl also spray it at the back of the neck at the hairline as hair holds the scent longer.

Spraying it into the air and walking into it will only get the cologne on your clothing - which is something you might not want if you wear a lot of different colognes.

L'eau de cartier

L'eau bleue d'Issey

L'eau de Kenzo

I only wear perfume from time to time though and never in combination with scented hair products as I hate mingled smells. I spray some on my right wrist and rub it on my left and on the back and front of my neck. This and the fact that I only buy "water" (eau, no idea what's the proper english translation in this particular case) and not "pure" perfume ensures that it's very discreet.

Quote:

hehe, so madgrad already had his on niche...

l'eau d'issey and hugo, by respective designers

the only two scents i've had for the past few years, refuse to change, though this michael kors one i received as a gift might break into the rotation.

i don't wear it so often so they last pretty long.... whats the shelf life on cologne anyways?

i've heard about 2 years...

--- Original message by nairb49 on Feb 21, 2006 04:38 PM

Madgrad knows his perfume, congrats!!

nairb: from what I've been told perfume can last for about 7 years if you keep it in a dry+room temp place (ie top of dresser good, bathroom bad)

Quote:

Sorry, I was having a bad day. I was facetious anyways. But I hate perfumes. And maybe they should return to the root of their centuries old art (natural essence combinations) instead of making synthetic scents that make my nostrils feel like they are getting raped.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Feb 22, 2006 11:24 AM

To each their own. I like wearing cologne, even though I only wear it about 50% of the time (usually forget or just cba)