whats your scent? - mens cologne/ girls perfume

roundhouse

what cologne favour or enjoy wearing?

and how and where would you put it on?

at the moment im experimenting with calvin klein contradiction because i got it for a gift.

personaly i dont like all the guys and girls that are saturated in perfume and can be smelt 20meters away.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now we're in my area of expertise!

Creed Green Irish Tweed (fresh smell for office work, Cool Water is a direct rip of this one)

Serge Lutens Arabie (smells like I'm wearing a spice shop)

Creed Bois due Portugal( crisp dry woods with an ambery drydown)

Havana by Aramis (tobacco and spices)

Opium EDP by YSL(seductive spice cake type scent)

Ungaro III (Very masculine rose and woods smell)

Bond No 9 New Haarlem (The best gourmand I own, cocoa and patchouli)

If anyone wants any recommendations, let me know. I've owned a couple of hundred colognes in my life, it's one of my main hobbies.

Quote:

now we're in my area of expertise!

Creed Green Irish Tweed (fresh smell for office work, Cool Water is a direct rip of this one)

Serge Lutens Arabie (smells like I'm wearing a spice shop)

Creed Bois due Portugal( crisp dry woods with an ambery drydown)

Havana by Aramis (tobacco and spices)

Opium EDP by YSL(seductive spice cake type scent)

Ungaro III (Very masculine rose and woods smell)

Bond No 9 New Haarlem (The best gourmand I own, cocoa and patchouli)

If anyone wants any recommendations, let me know. I've owned a couple of hundred colognes in my life, it's one of my main hobbies.

--- Original message by madgrad on Feb 21, 2006 08:39 AM

Great with expertise, you can help me out if you want to..

My favourites (without beeing based on any noticable empirical knowledge) are:

Givenchy Pour Homme & Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue.

I see both of them as mostly suitable for eveningwear, though i think Miyake can work daytime just as good, if not a little better... maybe.. i don't know.

However, i would like to expand my view and maybe get hold of similar (and possibly better) alternatives. So, any recomendations would be very much appreciated!

knife chase..

Edited by iohan on Feb 21, 2006 at 09:25 AM

I'm big on Commes des Garcons 'Man'. Its actually all I've been wearing for about 8 months now, meaning my Creed Silver Water is feeling unloved.

Apart from those 2, its the green bottle Paul Smith.

I picked up the CDG in an airport duty free, tested it and hated it. Then I was in my hotel, caught a whiff of it and thought 'what the hell is that, it's amazing', and realised that it was the CDG.

so why didn't I buy it at the airport? Because the shop assistant told me it reminded her of the smell of church, which I took to be a bad thing.

Moral of that crap story is don't let an attractive girl that works in duty free colour your decision on buying a great scent!

I'm big on Commes des Garcons 'Man'. Its actually all I've been wearing for about 8 months now, meaning my Creed Silver Water is feeling unloved.

Apart from those 2, its the green bottle Paul Smith.

I picked up the CDG in an airport duty free, tested it and hated it. Then I was in my hotel, caught a whiff of it and thought 'what the hell is that, it's amazing', and realised that it was the CDG.

so why didn't I buy it at the airport? Because the shop assistant told me it reminded her of the smell of church, which I took to be a bad thing.

Moral of that crap story is don't let an attractive girl that works in duty free colour your decision on buying a great scent!

More often than not these days I wear Lacoste Red. In rotation, for different events, day/night etc...I have CK Be, Aqua Di Gio (gift), Dolce and Gabbana Gift), Banana Republic Modern (Gift), Royall Lyme (Absolute best subtle, fresh summer scent). Then I have every Truefitt & Hill fragrance (small bottles): these are very fresh and classic scents like West Indian Limes, Spanish Leather, "Trafalger", Freshman, etc...

day time: natures gate herbal lotion. has a really fresh, clean scent not feminine or too masculine.

evening and some days when i feel like it: issey miyake - l'eau bleue. wifey gave this to me, thought it was just average at first but now i absolutely love it.

a friend of mine uses burt's bees wax cologne, which smells quite nice. spicey but not over bearing and reasonably priced.

i would like to add 2 more cents:

- Gucci Envy is something that oozes sex and maturity. If I can give a persona to it, it would be Sean Connery.

- Don't buy too many citrusy, fruity colognes. You can't really wear them much.

- Anything by Creed and Bond No9 is goodness

- Before buying, don't listen to the sales assiociate. spray a sample on your wrist, and monitor the drydown throughout the day. If you like the experience, come back and buy it.

iohan, Dior Homme Pour Homme, albeit pricey, is a good start. like those two you mentioned, its light, yet spicy and woody (for evenings)

Getsuga Tenshou

Quote:

DKNY Be Delicious is my main scent. Once or twice a week I use Versace Dreamer, and on dates or whenever I'm feeling capricious I put on Gucci Envy.

--- Original message by Noctone on Feb 21, 2006 11:37 AM

oooh i really like be delicious. i've been meaning to pick it up. but anyways i don't know much about perfume but i've been using ralph by ralph lauren for the past few years. smells like.. springtime.

Quote: Because the shop assistant told me it reminded her of the smell of churc

exactally what me and friends said at sephora.

But after about in hour i started to like the smell.

Madgrad , what do you think about the CDG line? I know they have tons of scents. I know noting about perfumes/colognes, and stuck in a rut between unisex/fresh smelling scent and a manly woodsy/spicey.

Help me out?

I might just get 2 MAN and Odeur 53 for the hell of it.

thanx in advance.

someone took my niketalk name here.

hehe, so madgrad already had his on niche...

l'eau d'issey and hugo, by respective designers

the only two scents i've had for the past few years, refuse to change, though this michael kors one i received as a gift might break into the rotation.

i don't wear it so often so they last pretty long.... whats the shelf life on cologne anyways?

i've heard about 2 years...

nairb49