College Cooking Thread

Servo2000

I had a bacon-egg sandwich with some harissa paste (idea copped from a local restaurant) but didn't post it cos of the condiment. Maybe Pan-African McDonald's might have that shit in packets, but not here.

...I gotta get my little sandwich machine cooking again...

10320_292781445113_785270113_9065559_5235792_n.jpg

iight wut i did was (iono how to cook but its ez and yum)

slice spam thinly and get it almost burnt lol

make some scrambled eggs (iono i used salt and a lil parmesan)

get leftover fried rice, throw some garlic powder on there, stir

dice ur spam n throw it in w/ the eggs and stir some moar!!

INDO MIE

its a tiny bit more work to prepare (you have to drain the water since theyre dry noodles) but its much better in my opinion. add eggs or sliced hot dogs or diced spam if youre into that.

FUCK YES ON THE INDOMIE everyone in my family has lived off these since childhood :)

anyway subscribed since i cant find a cooking class in SJ :(

i'm a barely competent cook so anything where it all goes in one pan works well for me - so something i've been doing for breakfast + lunch since it's pretty filling so it gets me through to dinner:

cheap sack o' potatoes

onions

eggs

chorizo sausage (splurge)

fry up a good portion of potatoes and then add relatively small portions of the onions / sausage more to get the flavor of them into the potatoes. whip up some eggs in a bowl add salt + pepper and then pour it over the fried onions / potatoes / chorizo. add stolen condiments to taste.

nothing impressive and it's basically just an omelette but the potatoes end up being pretty tasty for not much

so my dumb ass decided to buy enough portobello mushrooms to feed a small country. i've been eating them for days now.

i live in a shit student flat with one working hot plate (out of four) and no oven so cooking is a bit of a challenge.

steak, portobellos, tomatoes, broccoli (did all of this in one pan)

fw7m6u.jpg

portobellos, arugula, parmesan

2q151rs.jpg

cream of portobello mushroom soup (put too much leek in it but otherwise amazing)

ht8vol.jpg

a5esuc.jpg

risotto

nn2q69.jpg

My latest thing is to cook up some steel cut oats with a can of pumpkin purée mixed in at the beginning of the week. Keeps well in the fridge. Reheats well, too, but is also good cold (almost custardy).

Key is to toast the oats with a bit of butter in the sauce pan before you add the boiling water.

Latest thing i make is the Bacomelette.

Render down 4 strips of bacon til it's not quite crispy.

half - boil some baby potatoes and slice them up.

Toss them in the fat, and fry til they start to crisp up.

then toss in whatever shit you have in the fridge (notably mushrooms, peppers, and lots of onion - tomatoes at the end if you have them)

throw on some garlic and toss in some cayenne right near the end.

keep in mind that you're cooking all of this deliciousness in bacon fat.

then whisk in 3 eggs and grate aged cheddar on the whole thing.

you can't flip it cuz its too full of deliciousness, so if you're ovened toss it under the broiler for 5 minutes and eat that shit.

(note - i have a jar of minced hot peppers from some italian place, and i whisk it into my eggs before pouring it in the pan)

I am making a fucking huge thanksgiving dinner this weekend in my "college kitchen". Its a pretty decent kitchen though so I guess it isnt as impressive as making risotto on a hot plate.

2 turkeys lol, our fridge looks like a tetris game right now, food all stuffed in there like crazy.

Was bored, so I documented the process of making bacon fried rice.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Had a filet-o-fish earlier...and I didn't have any ketchup at home, so :o

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Cooked the bacon through, but not crispy. Upped the flavor of the leftover rice by creating a garlic paste (garlic, salt, some sugar) and mixed the paste into the rice and let that sit for a while before frying. I liked the results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't read the whole thread, but if you want to eat REALLY cheap, find a supermarket with good open bins and dumpster dive your way to profit, you can go 'eww' as much as you like but I'm the one with £50 of tesco finest rump steak in my freezer.

Also, make big chillies, bolognese sauces w/e, mince is cheap and if you have a big enough pan you can eat for a week.