College Cooking Thread

Servo2000

"the genesis of ghetto foodstuffs" :D

Definitely got to try this. I doubt I could keep my girl on board for more than a month or two, but shit, unspent money speaks for itself.

You could work around this if you spend the extra 20 cents here and there. Upgrade the ghetto ham to like thicker cut lunch honey ham from a decent brand (some Hormel 1/8" slices or something), that is really versatile for a lot, know which cheeses are cheaper, and make sure the food is carb-based and stick to rice, pasta, and potatoes, in that order, in terms of cost/ease of portion modulation/effort.

Middle eastern brothers, you can feel free to go with turkey in lieu of ham.

Could this be the start of an addendum to cooking club? I dropped out of Midnight Snacks after my first round.

We probably should give this a shot, best price to taste ratio being the winner. I'm saving money for a Ferrari so this will be helpful.

You could work around this if you spend the extra 20 cents here and there. Upgrade the ghetto ham to like thicker cut lunch honey ham from a decent brand (some Hormel 1/8" slices or something), that is really versatile for a lot, know which cheeses are cheaper, and make sure the food is carb-based and stick to rice, pasta, and potatoes, in that order, in terms of cost/ease of portion modulation/effort.

Middle eastern brothers, you can feel free to go with turkey in lieu of ham.

This could work. That's what this place is all about in terms of food: Either doing cheap shit really well, or doing outlandish gourmet in affordable ways.

clean up ain't worth it. shit will stink up your connected kitchen/living room. too lazy to change deep fat fryer (always a lazy college student concept)

i made this zuchinni risotto a few weeks ago. shit came out real nice

use chinese take out white rice n add some parmesan cheese they sometimes give you with italian delivery. what

I have a small deep frier. I'm lazy so I don't change it that often (its really not that hard to change either) but I do use it alot. I think that's why I'm getting fat.

I had one of those bucket looking ones but the one we have now is nicer, that one kinda sucked for cleaning.

save those ketchup n louisiana hot sauce packets from popeyes. chinese take out hot sauce is dope in itself. shit is necessary for fried food binging

if you can get fresh tomatoes for cheap (about or <$1/lb) i got a homemade salsa recipe. shit is good for midnight snacks n sharing. soo much tastier n affordabe than jarred tostitos salsa

Don't cook for your friends even if it seems like a good idea at the time. Meal for 4 friends = 4 meals for you. You probably don't like them that much anyways.

I'm kind of drunk right now.

that's because you're doing it wrong.

get 5-6 friends together, pool cash, go shopping together at a nice market (you know, like a real one, not a supermarket or an organic rip-off joint like whole foods). cook for them. it's a nice sunday outing and you should be able to eat better for the same price because of increasing returns to scale.

that's because you're doing it wrong.

get 5-6 friends together, pool cash, go shopping together at a nice market (you know, like a real one, not a supermarket or an organic rip-off joint like whole foods). cook for them. it's a nice sunday outing and you should be able to eat better for the same price because of increasing returns to scale.

I was just kidding. But it was my birthday present to a friend, so it was my treat. Wasn't too expensive or anything, though.

And I agree that cooking with/for a group is a great way to eat well/minimize cost, generally speaking.

gonna go pick up a sandwich maker now, (sup jyoni)

I was dismayed to not find a cheap one at Target...only waffle-sandwich concepts with all sorts of interchangable shit.

But you know Wal-Mart had the exclusive 10 dollar model. "Made by Rival for Wal-Mart."