College Cooking Thread

Servo2000

Focusing on things that can be done quickly, in large quantities, cheaply or any combination there of.

As well, it's okay if something does take some effort or the occasional bit of expensive ingredients as long as it can either last for a bit, makes good leftovers or can go fairly far or has multiple uses.

I figured I'd start out with that staple of college diets Ramen.

What do you guys do with your ramen to make it more interesting? I'm not much of one to cook for myself usually but...

Good guide to hard boiled eggs that have a center consistency how I like them in ramen - I remember someone else posting their instructions for this elsewhere but not sure where it got off to. I've a friend who cracks his egg straight into and stirs it like I do at korean places but I'm not such a fan of it this way.

Good vegetable selections? Bok choy seems like it would make sense but I've never prepared it - usually do onions or mushrooms myself. Tyro posted those enoki that would probably be good but never prepared those myself either.

I always use the flavor packet (MSG goodness) - any suggestions for good stock broths to put the noodles in / stock that would be good with the flavor packet?

let's see if this interests any of you other college folks

I recently learned how to make the perfect ramen eggs

1. let eggs sit at room temp for about half an hour

2. poke a hole with a needle in the flatter part of the egg

3. Place eggs with a slotted spoon into a pot of boiling water for exactly 5 minutes, must use a timer

4. remove from water and let rest for 1 minute, then rinse cold water for 5 minutes.

They'll look like this

725387868_86663fbacf.jpg

123456789!

have you guys heard of onsen tamago? I'm pretty sure it translates into hot-springs egg. You can recreate the consistency by boiling a pot of water, and then once it starts to boil, remove from flame, and then place the egg in the pot & cover. After 20 minutes, you can remove the egg from the water and soak it in ice water to stop its cooking

uh, in the not ramen category I mix my kraft dinner with a can of tuna and some broccoli and some real cheese... sgood and i have enough two meals

or mix white kraft dinner with a can of beefaroni... ultimate

I liked straight tuna right out of the pouch. That was the advent of "Tuna Creations" and luscious filets though. Shit lasted a long time too. It's only recently that you don't see them anymore.

Focusing on things that can be done quickly, in large quantities, cheaply or any combination there of.

As well, it's okay if something does take some effort or the occasional bit of expensive ingredients as long as it can either last for a bit, makes good leftovers or can go fairly far or has multiple uses.

I figured I'd start out with that staple of college diets Ramen.

What do you guys do with your ramen to make it more interesting? I'm not much of one to cook for myself usually but...

Good guide to hard boiled eggs that have a center consistency how I like them in ramen - I remember someone else posting their instructions for this elsewhere but not sure where it got off to. I've a friend who cracks his egg straight into and stirs it like I do at korean places but I'm not such a fan of it this way.

Good vegetable selections? Bok choy seems like it would make sense but I've never prepared it - usually do onions or mushrooms myself. Tyro posted those enoki that would probably be good but never prepared those myself either.

I always use the flavor packet (MSG goodness) - any suggestions for good stock broths to put the noodles in / stock that would be good with the flavor packet?

let's see if this interests any of you other college folks

If you have an Asian market nearby you could probably find some kamaboko (pink fishcake log thing), cut it up and throw it in while it's cooking. Green onions work, beansprouts, spam (cut into slivers, fry, add), char siu if you can find it (Chinese barbeque pork, it's reddish or pink). If you have any left over tempura you could throw that it, nori, basically anything.

And you can fry it. Cook the noodles in water (add nothing) for 3 min or whatever. Drain and set aside. Add oil to pan and place over medium heat (this is generally when I add any cold or frozen ingredients [ingredients are the same that you'd put into the regular saimin] as the noodles will cook very quickly). Add noodles, sugar, shoyu ("soy sauce"), and packet of the broth it comes with (1/2 packet per package of noodles or it will be extremely salty). Stir until noodles become brown and are a bit drier, enjoy.

PS: I hate when people say ramen.

PPS: Sapporo ichiban is the best.

on some cheapo easy shit, get a george forman grill or some kind of cheap alternative, some bread, meat, cheese. and poof, you got cheapo samich action that is ready to go any time you are. not the best, but good to have on hand.

step one; order cheapest decent chinese takeout you can; order the best value item(s) you can, skip the crab rangoons and fried rice if you know what's good for you, and order like 10 extra white rices in the large size (this will piss them off but whateva)

step 2: eat all the chinese food, save rice for later, saran wrap it and freeze it.

step 3: make fried rice from leftover rice, add your own eggs, green onions, some spam or leftover meat bits from your chinee food, maybe some onions or green onions, etc.

that is solid eating for 2-3 days plus a lot more fried rice, and I used to be able to do it for $10-15 and it's a little more nutritious and filling than ramen.

Get big bottle of Olive oil (Kirkland Sig concept)

Get huge value pack of spaghetti (like the 6 pack from Costco)

Steal the crushed red pepper and parmesan from a pizza place

Get garlic from cheap place (ie Asian market)

maybe some cheap anchovies or somethin

Aglio Olio for weeks, for like $10.

use generic chicken stock from supermarket - 50c a carton sometimes

plain short-grain rice like Botan (don't need no stinkin Arborio)

An onion

Some mushroom if you can afford them

use stolen Parmesan from pizza place

Risotto concepts

buy ground chuck at the end of the day when it gets marked down

buy some ground pork too, 80% beef/20% pork mix

mince an onion

shred up some old stale bread

add an egg or two

Japanese Hamburg steak, eat with ketchup and rice.

one thing you guys must remember though; stolen/tiny single serving condiments are your friends if you want to keep it cheap. Taco Bell sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, salad dressing (Italian or Ranch are good for marinating cheap chicken), parmesan, chili flakes, salt and pepper, you don't need to pay for these if you eat out once in awhile and can pocket a bunch.

Note: I ate Subway just about everyday for my entire sophomore year; they had the stamp card in effect and my friend worked at Subway and gave me like 10 rolls of the stamps and a stack of cards. Do they still have that?

If you got an oven:

condensed tin of cream of mushroom plus a little milk

cheap real cheese, monterey jack is pretty cheap usually, grated, maybe a small bag.

peeled and sliced rounds of potatoes, sliced about 1/4" thick, maybe 5 or 6, I don't know really.

pretty cheap potato gratin.

Skip the mushroom soup and replace with eggs (3-4) and milk, add other stuff (ie lunch ham cut into strips, onion, frozen spinach drained of water, etc), pre-boil potatoes and drain and then mix with cheese and eggs, and some milk, and pour into a greased baking pan, easy quiche that eats hot or cold.