Cultizm LVC Contest

joe@cultizm.com

hey everyone,

I've been reading this thread with interest, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a pair of 47's to enter, yay! but, like lots of people, I'm not sure about sizing, so perhaps one of you guys can give me some pointers.

right now my only levi's are a pair of shrink to fit 501XX I bought in San Fran in May. I'm a 33 waist, and so I bought 34/34 hoping that when they'd been shrunk they'd be somewhat slim fitting. They're not, they're pretty baggy even after a tub soak and a wash/dryer cycle. So I want to avoid this with the 47's, and I'm thinking that I should get a 33" waist. How does that sound? I don't want them skin tight, but I don't want to be swimming in them, no baggy ass please! Any thoughts?

Also, anyone here know if the free shipping on contest jeans would include other items (ie shoes) in the same order? I asked both of these questions to cultizm on their page, but I guess they're a little busy;)

Looking forward to seeing how everyone's LVCs turn out!

I think your sizing would have worked perfectly for a pair of 47s. the regular shrink to fits are oversized. I would say 2 inches oversized. the 47s people have been getting recently are either tag size or .5" large...if I'm remembering correctly. If you're a 33, I would get a 34.

I think your sizing would have worked perfectly for a pair of 47s. the regular shrink to fits are oversized. I would say 2 inches oversized. the 47s people have been getting recently are either tag size or .5" large...if I'm remembering correctly. If you're a 33, I would get a 34.

thanks for the reply. so you think a 33 would be too tight then, eh?

anyone know much about the 1983 501? I might get that just so that we have a wider range of LVCs...

few questions:

1. is it button fly?

2. STF of SANF??

3. coin pocket selvage?

4. Sizing?

cheers

Hey dawei,

1. Button Fly

2. STF

3. No coin pocket selvage

4. It is a full fit. Here are measurements Joe gave me based on the 32x34:

1983 32/34 (smallest size we have, reorder is not possible)

Measured waist: 33 inch

Inseam: 34 inch

Thigh: 12.25 inch

Knee: 9.5 inch

Front rise: 12 inch

Back rise: 15.5 inch

Leg opening: 9 inch

so I am a bit confused? the tagged sizes refer to the inseam, do they? Maybe I'm messing up sth.

That's true, but I'm pretty sure it's not that exactly. I would go 2-3 inches above my regular length so you'll have enough reserve for any shrinking.

Afaik most 47's are undersized 1 inch. My 33" waist is a snug 32" presoak.

thanks for the reply. so you think a 33 would be too tight then, eh?

Ask Dejan for measurements and count in 2 inches shrinking and 1 inch stretching postsoak imo. And keep in mind that most 47's are undersized 1 inch, as said above and as you can read at cultizm.com.

Ask Dejan for measurements and count in 2 inches shrinking and 1 inch stretching postsoak imo. And keep in mind that most 47's are undersized 1 inch, as said above and as you can read at cultizm.com.

Good info. I also heard back from a guy named Dirk at cultizm today, and he said:

"Do you want to break in the jean? Means that you wear your jeans without washing. Then you have to pick W34. W34 is measured 33 inch. Just for your understanding the jean increases by 2†in waist"

So just to clarify, you Dr. House say that the 34 will be 1 inch undersized to begin with, then shrink by 2 and stretch by one, so resulting in a W32 yeah?

Do you know what the cultizm guy might have been refering to when he said it increases by 2" in the waist? Typo?

FWIW my intent is to do an initial hot soak (wearing them) and then hand wash them very infrequently.

BTW, if I enter this contest... I hope none of you seriously expect to win! mwa haha!:cool:

Good info. I also heard back from a guy named Dirk at cultizm today, and he said:

"Do you want to break in the jean? Means that you wear your jeans without washing. Then you have to pick W34. W34 is measured 33 inch. Just for your understanding the jean increases by 2” in waist"

So just to clarify, you Dr. House say that the 34 will be 1 inch undersized to begin with, then shrink by 2 and stretch by one, so resulting in a W32 yeah?

Do you know what the cultizm guy might have been refering to when he said it increases by 2" in the waist? Typo?

FWIW my intent is to do an initial hot soak (wearing them) and then hand wash them very infrequently.

BTW, if I enter this contest... I hope none of you seriously expect to win! mwa haha!:cool:

I think you're right: Buy a tagged 34" (measured 33"), shrink 2" while soaking and win 1" while wearing= 32". But I know from another guy that they'll stretch more than 1". I've got the same problem too: I need a 32" true waist after soaks and washes (keep in mind that they might shrink more in further soaks/washes). My 33/36 arrived and it's really trim in the waist. Now I'm afraid that they might shrink too much...:(

Stick a cloth hanger in the waist when soak it. that should prevent it from shrinking..... and 47s do stretch ALOT.

Got the alternative pair today, thx to Dejan! The difference between the 33" and the 34" is approx. 0.5 inches :confused:: which pair should I go for guys (real waist:32")?

I'm sure they're from different stocks, look at this little detail (besides the more blueish on the 33's above):

dsci3402x.jpg

Got it :-P ?

67 505's - What's the best way to go about sizing?

I've never had any luck with 501 STF's. Always too long, too baggy, something goes wrong.

I'd like to order these, hell, maybe even enter the contest but I'm not sure how to go about sizing for these.

My waist is about a 33-34. Would like about a 33-34 inseam.

* Since they're pre-shrunk, that means no soak is necessary, am I correct? I'd be OK to order a 33/34 (33 is measured 32 1/2 but I figure they'll stretch).

* Would I be better off sizing down? I'm a bit of a more muscular build, especially my thighs so I wouldn't want anything skin-tight.

Thanks for any help guys, look forward to possibly entering the contest.

I've never had any luck with 501 STF's. Always too long, too baggy, something goes wrong.

I'd like to order these, hell, maybe even enter the contest but I'm not sure how to go about sizing for these.

* Since they're pre-shrunk, that means no soak is necessary, am I correct? I'd be OK to order a 33/34 (33 is measured 32 1/2 but I figure they'll stretch).

* Would I be better off sizing down? I'm a bit of a more muscular build, especially my thighs so I wouldn't want anything skin-tight.

Afaik go for your real size on them.

These are slim but not super slim, so if you are muscular, I would go close to your true size in the waist, maybe slightly undersize. I am slim, so I sized down one inch, but I am not sure you should.

Like most sanforized denim, these will definitely stretch in the waist. I have two pairs, one unworn and one worn ten to fifteen times. The ones that I have worn are now one inch bigger in the waist and they were definitely the same size to start.

I soaked mine because my hands turned blue just from handling them, but my other pair doesn't do that (go figure, they are from the same year). I am not planning to soak my other pair.

They probably will shrink a little in length. Mine are an inch longer in the inseam than marked, so ask for a measurement if you are concerned.

Got the alternative pair today, thx to Dejan! The difference between the 33" and the 34" is approx. 0.5 inches :confused:: which pair should I go for guys (real waist:32")?

I'm sure they're from different stocks, look at this little detail (besides the more blueish on the 33's above):

dsci3402x.jpg

Got it :-P ?

I'd go for the indigo tone you prefer best.

I think you're right: Buy a tagged 34" (measured 33"), shrink 2" while soaking and win 1" while wearing= 32". But I know from another guy that they'll stretch more than 1". I've got the same problem too: I need a 32" true waist after soaks and washes (keep in mind that they might shrink more in further soaks/washes). My 33/36 arrived and it's really trim in the waist. Now I'm afraid that they might shrink too much...:(

Shrink 2, stretch 1 works for me. It makes for a slim fit, still tight around the ass with hardly any room around the thighs.

Maybe girls can size down more, but where would boys put their wedding tackle?

I know APC kids size down more, but the denim stretches more, and most users are scared to wash them because they lose too much indigo.

thanks for the help dr house et al. i guess i'll go for the W34 aiming for a 32 result. what about inseam? i'm a 32 inseam, hoping to be able to cuff these, so do you guys think i should go for a 36 leg? lots of shrinkage in the leg i gather..

wooord

I'm also a 32" inseam and I've choosed the 36".

Was considering joining with a pair of 1967 505's. However, I was in the process of planning an Edwin contest before this one popped out :o , but 2 years is a long time so really undecided at this stage :confused:

I understand.

I also understand that you don't think your '67 505s will fade as well as mine will, and that's really why you're undecided :cool:

Kidding! :P

In all seriousness, 2 years is a long time and gives plenty of opportunity to give the Edwins some wear on LVC off days.