Whale Wars!!!

stuntastic

Im not one to start threads...

But has anyone else been keeping up with the show Whale Wars on the Animal Planet channel?

Its about animal rights activists trying to stop the Japanese from commercial whaling. The Japanese are claiming that theyre doing this for research, but theyre selling the whale meat/blubber on the market.

DISCUSS!

GO!

I saw one episode. Shit was pathetic. These whale hippies spent hours tracking a whale ship, then went to send a small group in a motorboat to throw those stink bombs or whatever at the whaling ship. Needless to say the motorboat went in completely the opposite direction and got "lost" while the rest of the crew spent about 3/4 of the show pretending the others were probably lost at sea forever only to have them turn up after 2 commercial breaks and much "suspense".

Food is food, the only reason people are making such a big fuss over this is because of two reason;

1. Most of people outside (or inside, actually) don't eat dolphin or whale on a regular basis, so it's easy to target the minority of people who do;

2. Dolphins/whales are "smarter" than most animals, OMFG? Never mind the fact that there are million times more "less worthy" animals being slaughtered all over the world for food, dolphins should get special treatment because they are "smarter and cuter" than most animals.

AMIRITE OR AMIRITE?

For some reason when the show is on I can't change the channel but I really really hate those whale watcher guys. They do absolutely nothing in stopping wales from being killed yet they think they are saints or something. They spend an enormous amount of money and waste tons of resources and pollute the environment to "save whales." They are doing more harm then good. I'm not saying it's right to kill whales but if your going to be spending that kind of money and wasting all those resources at least make a real difference.

For some reason when the show is on I can't change the channel but I really really hate those whale watcher guys. They do absolutely nothing in stopping wales from being killed yet they think they are saints or something. They spend an enormous amount of money and waste tons of resources and pollute the environment to "save whales." They are doing more harm then good. I'm not saying it's right to kill whales but if your going to be spending that kind of money and wasting all those resources at least make a real difference.

Right?

One thing that I dont understand is...

Why dont the Japanese send out a small boat, and do a Prop Fouler themselves? Obviously, no one on the Steve Irwin has any skills, except for the captain who knows how to drive a boat, and the guy who can fly a helicopter.

If the Japanese did that, the activists would be royally fucked, and have no idea what to do, except wait for the Australian government to come out and tow them, which would take how long?

They arent prepared for any attacks by the whalers, and arent effective attacking, themselves.

One effective attack, would be dropping the acid from the helicopter, but nooooo...

Im not for or against whaling, this show is just entertaining....

But it does suck to hear about animals getting extinct (last year or 2 years ago, the bottle nosed white river dolphin.)

Food is food, the only reason people are making such a big fuss over this is because of two reason;

1. Most of people outside (or inside, actually) don't eat dolphin or whale on a regular basis, so it's easy to target the minority of people who do;

at least in japan, dolphin has insanely high levels of mercury and is not really fit for human consumption.

i do agree that it's easier to gather mainstream support in opposition of hunting dolphins because of the intelligence argument. however, saying "food is food" doesn't really encourage meaningful dialogue regarding sustainability or conservation

I'm really into this show. The funny thing is I was watching it while flipping between the history channel where they were showing the process of fishing the Alaskan coasts and processing the catch all while still being out at sea. So basically they were harvesting several thousand little fishes and making them available for human consumption just like the Japanese harvesting ship does to whales. Except the Japs are not grabbing up other little friends from the ocean that just lie on the deck and die because they are useless.

I think most consumption of wildlife is a clumsy practice.

i tried to like whale wars but it seriously just sucks. the steve irwin crew is a joke. the shows are just really slow build up to the "action" at the end of the episode. the action is really pathetic when it finally comes, too.

the best part was the last episode when the japanese kill a whale right in front of the steve irwin. they thought that the japanese wouldn't whale if they were being followed by the steve irwin, but this is obviously not the case and shows that they are wasting their time.

I guess its a lot easier to pick on little Japanese fishmen then big strong nordic dudes

From Iceland's whaling site:

Q: Do other countries catch whales?

A: Yes. Several countries catch whales, even on a much bigger scale than Iceland. The United States has for instance a five year block quota of 280 bowhead whales from a stock of less than 10,000 animals. Of those who, like Iceland, operate within the International Whaling Commission (IWC) the biggest whaling countries by numbers and volume are the United States, Russia, Norway, Japan and Greenland. Like Iceland’s, all those whaling operations are sustainable and legal and in accordance with the rules of the IWC.

From wikipedia:

According to Joji Morishita of Japanese Fisheries Agency, the Japanese public feels that anti-whaling groups are covertly racist.[27] Norway issue around 1000 quota per year as opposed to Japan's 1,330. Moreover, Norway and Iceland hunt on a commercial basis. According to Morishita, "Singling out whaling is cultural imperialism - some people would say it's racism. Norway and Iceland are also whalers, but the criticism of Japan is stronger."[27]

I'm watching an episode now and the Steve Irwin fuckin rammed one of the harpoon boats. Shit was crazy. I dunno how they get away with doing stuff like that. Everything they are doing is so illegal. And they were celebrating like they were stopping illegal things from happening when they are the only ones doing the illegal stuff. Ha now their boat is flooding because they punctured holes when they rammed that ship. Dumbasses.