Indie Rock

jsmilez

I'm not comparing Vernon to anyone aha. I've listened to an Of Montreal album once, and I never played it again, so that's just me.

Maybe the Bon Iver hype is over? He's still an amazing artist.

xx is pretty boring in concert, saw them earlier this summer, they need to work on their stage presence. stars are good live, lots of energy, but the new album is mehhhhh. hopefully they won't play most of the new stuff...

XX seem pretty chill. I hope stars plays heart/set yourself more than their new album.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can you compare justin vernon to kevin barnes? I mean, I like both, and have seen bon iver live, but still. the lyrical value (less Skeletal Lamping) seems superior in Of Montreal.

fwiw, i enjoy both bands. i read somewhere that bon iver's lyrics aren't supposed to make sense, it's more about the feel that comes with it and the music combined. definitely a cold winter night by the fire kind of music in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the good bands have been mentioned already so I'll recommend some local bands I know that are really good. If anyone is interested in downloading their songs, pm me and I can upload them. They're kinda hard to find unfortunately.

Make Your Exit

The Balconies

Dinosaur Bones

The Darcys - these guys are amazing live. I've only been able to see one show of theirs, but I was mesmerized the whole time and left in such a good mood.

I liked the new Klaxons

Interpol was better than expected

Walkmen disappointed

1) exact opposite for me. thought the klaxons album was ehhhh, interpol sucked (the life out of the room when i played it), and the walkmen was solid.

2) i think best coast is decent, she has a couple of good songs but her shtick gets old quickly and she SUCKS live.

3) to the people who posted about freelance whales and the new black keys albums, i agree: both of those albums are ill.

Hm...I'm skipping the Titus A/Best Coast show on Saturday, but I'm seeing the BC DJ set after. I'm guessing it'll just be Beth's favorite songs, but whatever.

Didn't the Walkmen album seem a little slow for you? I feel like it's missing the vocal emotion that existed in earlier albums (Including You & Me).

Right now it's all about Grinderman 2. Nick Cave brings it yet again

yea philly has a pretty solid music scene. im in university city...

except when you are a band FROM philly. it's really tough to be a band from philly, the local music scene is only half supportive.

but as far as having talent come to philly, that has never been a problem, and sean usually does a good job of attracting good bands to intimate venues

except when you are a band FROM philly. it's really tough to be a band from philly, the local music scene is only half supportive.

but as far as having talent come to philly, that has never been a problem, and sean usually does a good job of attracting good bands to intimate venues

haha that's funny but true. the bookers are good though, and being a hop away from NYC helps

• 3 weeks later...