Swine flu

Mr Waffles

man mothafuck a swine flu this shits all propaganda imo

TB5-Y08qbjo

Swine flu isn't propaganda, its a new strain of virus that they know very little about at the moment, it definately has the potential to cause major trouble in the world. Not trying to scaremonger here but it could have some serious consequences. Basically, it responds to current antiviral medications (tamiflu), BUT what happens if loads more people start to get it? The healthcare system will be bombarded with an influx of sick people, do they have stockpiles of antivirals? some governments only report being able to treat 47% of their population. if that happens then we're fucked.

that guy makes some sense, i respect what he has to say as hes a physician and the media is jumping on this phenomenon and blowing it somwehat out of proportion. However that video seems dated, 160 people in mexico have died, 1 has died in the US as of today. He said 1 person died in 1976 and it wasn't a big deal. 160 + people have died in this epidemic so far, doesn't it seem a bit more of a big deal?

Even still, guy's turning a medical issue into a political one by using it as an opportunity to attack big governments when he stated earlier on in the video that the government shouldn't be involved in making medical decisions.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's the thing though. the average deaths per year from regular flu is something like 23000+ according to the CDC. the total amount of people that've died from swine flu so far is what, 160? most of the new cases have turned out to be pretty mild.

this is quickly becoming another case of the media making a circus over nothing because scaremongering = ratings. could swine flu have become a big deal? sure. does it look like it's going to currently? not really.

there seems to be a case in my city. i'm gonaaaaaaaaaaaaa dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. we're alll gonnnna dieeeeeeeeee nooooooooooooooooooooooo. hahahha.

here's the thing though. the average deaths per year from regular flu is something like 23000+ according to the CDC. the total amount of people that've died from swine flu so far is what, 160? most of the new cases have turned out to be pretty mild.

this is quickly becoming another case of the media making a circus over nothing because scaremongering = ratings. could swine flu have become a big deal? sure. does it look like it's going to currently? not really.

23000+ people a year die from the common flu...did you look at who makes up the majority of those people? i dont know what the US statistics are exactly, but i know in most other developed countries that its normally the elderly, immunocompromised (eg HIV patients) and the very young who havent developed immune system strength.

heres a certain quote from a non-medical website i found (i got exams coming up so no time to further back this up):

"Estimated rates of influenza-associated pulmonary and circulatory deaths/100,000 persons were 0.4--0.6 among persons aged 0–49 years, 7.5 among persons aged 50--64 years, and 98.3 among persons aged > 65 years."

whats different about this flu is that its killing healthy young people, and thats why its so alarming.

i'm not trying to scare anyone but its just the facts.

but if it's killing the healthy young, why aren't the weakly old dropping left and right?

it has to do with how this particular strain of flu affects the young and healthy. the spanish flu behaved the same way, i believe, and that's why it was so deadly. basically, something happens called a cytokine storm. i'm not sure exactly how it works, check that shit out on wikipedia. with a cytokine storm, the immune system response to the virus ends up killing the person, so those with a stronger immune system are actually more vulnerable.

but again, most of what we've seen is that the cases outside of mexico are usually way more mild. i mean, if you want to panic go right ahead, but i wouldn't buy into this media hype until some serious shit starts going down.

arent there 1000s of strains of the flu.

how do they diagnose this all over the world when it didnt even exist before.

i dont see why its any more deadly than normal flus

think its cause if it mutates into a new strain that's "deadlier" and resistant to what we have right now, it could be months before a vaccine is found for it.

yeh its a hybrid version of several viruses, its new, its atypical in the type of people that it affects (young and healthy as opposed to elderly and sick).

in other news, as of now the WHO has classified it as one step short of a pandemic or global epidemic. better start stocking up on the tinned food (joke)

it has to do with how this particular strain of flu affects the young and healthy. the spanish flu behaved the same way,(...) the immune system response to the virus ends up killing the person, so those with a stronger immune system are actually more vulnerable.

I will quit vitamins, switch to fast food and party all night long. That way I should be safe.

BTW the Dutch government calles it Mexican flu now, not swine flu.

IN A.D. 2010

BOAR WAS BEGINNlNG.

CAPTAIN: WHAT HAPPEN ?

MECHANIC: SOMEBODY SET UP US THE JUAN.

OPERATOR: WE GET SICKNESS.

CAPTAIN: WHAT !

OPERATOR: MAIN VACCINE TURN ON.

CAPTAIN: IT'S FLU !!

HOGS: “SOW” ARE YOU MEXICANS !!

HOGS: ALL YOUR RACE ARE BELONG TO US.

HOGS: YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO DESTRUCCIÓN.

CAPTAIN: WHAT YOU SAY !!

HOGS: YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR SWINE.

HOGS: HA HA HA HA....

OPERATOR: CAPTAIN !!

CAPTAIN: TAKE OFF EVERY 'PIG'!!

CAPTAIN: YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DOING.

CAPTAIN: MOVE 'PIG'.

CAPTAIN: FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Guest umhaha84
some governments only report being able to treat 47% of their population. if that happens then we're fucked.

there's no way 47% of population will get this disease in the first place. so no worry

This flu is so over hyped, it's insane. I read some article that said that since the number of cases is doubling every day, three months from now 32 million people will be sick from it.

The only reason the cases are doubling every day is because people are now returning from their Mexican holidays and coming forward to be tested for it.

apparently you can't get it from eating pork. also the first person to get it (a 5 y/o kid) is alive and kickin', got better all by himself apparently

also the death toll from the swine flu in mexico is around 8

t'is information i garnered during supper from the family