Whats the best quality for tees and hoodies?

Nismofob

Hi Guys,

New to the board! My name is Steve.. Nice to meet ya'll..

So just out of curiousity,

My question is:

What type of fabric/quality is the best for t-shirts? is it 100% fully combed cotton, jersey knit, 180-200gsm?

What type of fabric/quality is the best for parka hoodies? 100% fully combed cotton 350gsm?

And what is the best screen printing quality?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help~

your questions need to be more specific in order to get accurate answers.

What are you using your shirts/ hoodies for?

Handouts at a concert or show? To market and sell? to whom? what price point?

"best screen print quality": what I think you're asking is what inks to use. That depends on the fabric and price point. Provide a little more detailed info and you'll get a better response from SF.

http://www.TheLifeLtd.com

I wear AA brand t's and a few Banana Rep's. The AA's are dirt cheap, 100% cotton, made in the US. The black AA's hold their color even after many washings. I get four for $10. I like the cotton on the BR's and generally wear them when I go out to a club or dinner. The AA's are great everyday t's.

^^^ You should start small. Find a good wholesale source and print your stuff on it. Try American Apparel or Alternative Apparel. Then move into cut and sew, then you can control the exact quality you want. But, unless you have a ton of money, celebrity contacts, and a great publicity and marketing capaign, you won't want to do stuff at a high price.

Depends who you're selling to. American Apparel will get you some extra cred with semi-political hipster-types that like some granola with their yogurt in the morning.

As far as fit/feel goes, Uniqlo blank shirts are my favorite. Really soft material, relatively slim, and the cut is a bit longer than American Apparel so us tall folk don't have to worry about show our stomachs when we raise our arms. Not sure about the durability, but they're only $4.50 a piece albeit made in china.

Something like Delta would be more durable.

It really depends on who you're selling them to. Skater kids who are going to wreck anything not clad in kevlar and could care less about shit being made in china, or hipster kids in brooklyn who drink fair trade capuccinos and freak out if their hair gets wet?

...sorry that post was borderline-offensive, rough night...

Edited by gomi no sensei on Jan 29, 2006 at 12:46 AM

Guest Fade to Black

For plain tees my favorite is Muji (about $20 USD a pop back in Hong Kong's Muji stores). AA seems to be reasonable, especially if you buy from wholesale which is apparently cheaper.

Bathing Ape's t-shirts aren't that great quality...even though this is definitely off the mark, they feel a lot like Fruit of the Loom tees to me, at least to the touch.

If you're expecting to retail a tee at $30, you'll need to wholesale them at $15 to stores. If you plan to make say $5 a tee, then you want to have it so it costs you $10 a tee. Allow yourself $3ish for a print (I'm guessing you're planning to do 50 units or less), about a buck or so for handling, administrivia, and you're looking at $6 to land yourself a garment.

You're not going to be able to persuade anyone in North America to sell you a custom tee at 50 units or so for $6 apiece. Unless you're doing over 1000 units, or you're willing to do the legwork to track down fabric suppliers, design the production process, or sweatshop the thing on your own.

Rince and repeat for sweatshirts.

One thing that I haven't seen people do too much is buy cheap Gildans or Hanes or whatever, and pay a school or something to have the garment deconstructed and reconstructed to spec.

Depending on how resourceful you are, you might be able to swing it to produce something that's OK to start with, and possibly, surprisingly well-fitting.

Quote:

Hi,

Expecting to sell and market. Looking at $30 a tee and $79 for hoodies, what would be the best quality? like what quality does Bape use?

Thanks,

Steve

--- Original message by Nismofob on Jan 23, 2006 10:41 AM

I don't know the weight of bape now, but back in the day they used oneita t´s.

ONLY americans would EVER suggest American Companies to make the best quality in clothing. Ever.

Hilarious. But since you aren't after top-quality (which you initially thought) you probably just want AA.

Love this SuperFuture thing which is going on; people want the BEST stuff and somebody goes like "yeah 2000$" and they all are "okay the 40$ is fine". Not exactly the same thing here, but close to.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL