spicy food apprecation

whitney

fuck i love this thread

love you whit

love you too fab

Yeah, I think the green version definitely tastes better but doesn't have the same kick as the red.

I picked this stuff up the other day because some cat at the store said it was unbearably hot. He was mistaken.

i don't trust people when they say stuff is unbearablely hot because they might have a lower resistance to spicy food then i do.

3215466259_ce6454a88d.jpg

or some

2466829515_9bc5a4f9fe.jpg

mmm

• 1 year later...

Ok, chinese-speaking friends in various parts of the world. :)

I am looking for a proxy for dried cháo tiān jiāo AKA facing heaven peppers:

heavenfacingpepper.png

They look like this:

facingheavenchili.jpg

Are shorter and fatter than normal dried cayennes and are less spicy than them but more flavorful.

I checked at 3 or 4 major supermarkets on main street flushing and have checked in manhattan's chinatown just about every time I am down there and have basically given up.

Someone wanna help me out? :)

^which ones have you tried. cause im partial to valentina hot sauce (sometimes also known as tamazula) but make sure to get the black label one cause the yellow label isnt as spicy, but this is also a fairly well known sauce so you have probably tried it.

^which ones have you tried. cause im partial to valentina hot sauce (sometimes also known as tamazula) but make sure to get the black label one cause the yellow label isnt as spicy, but this is also a fairly well known sauce so you have probably tried it.

don't remember which ones i've had. haven't had black label valentina, but i'll peep it good looks. have had the yellow which isn't really spicy at all, but it's still good.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this stuff has been around forever but I only recently found/tried some.

31ltv3x0C4L.jpg

It's not going to blow you away with heat. Basically it's like a Louisiana sauce but without all that nasty ass vinegar overpowering everything. Just sweet, natural chili flavor and heat. It's earned a spot in my cupboard alongside other lighter-heat sauces like Sambal Oelek.

On the whole, it seems hard to find good spicy in New York other than at sichuan joints.

There was some guy selling salsas at brooklyn flea (already funny, I know) and he was having a conversation with some woman about how he has to warn people about the hottest one before they try it (as she fanned her mouth after trying it).

I took a big scoop on a chip. It was some pedestrian shit, that's for sure. Not only did it barely have any heat, it wasn't even tasty at all. It was basically the same heat level as the generic red salsa at mediocre tex-mex restaurants in texas.

I had a similar experience when I asked for "real" spicy at a thai place. The waitress asked if I was sure and warned me that thai people eat very spicy food. I got half-way through my meal before I remembered what I ordered was supposed to be spicy at all.

That being said, I want this right now (not my picture):

Picture-1251.jpg

Nice and spicy jerk chicken, mango, jalapeno, crema, cillantro, and Torchy's diablo sauce (a great sauce, by the way). Doesn't sound that spicy, but when you get a good one and load it up with the sauce, it'll open your pores a bit.

Missing Texas, fools. Maybe I just need to eat a bag of flamin' hot cheetos or something.

On the whole, it seems hard to find good spicy in New York other than at sichuan joints.

There was some guy selling salsas at brooklyn flea (already funny, I know) and he was having a conversation with some woman about how he has to warn people about the hottest one before they try it (as she fanned her mouth after trying it).

I took a big scoop on a chip. It was some pedestrian shit, that's for sure. Not only did it barely have any heat, it wasn't even tasty at all. It was basically the same heat level as the generic red salsa at mediocre tex-mex restaurants in texas.

I had a similar experience when I asked for "real" spicy at a thai place. The waitress asked if I was sure and warned me that thai people eat very spicy food. I got half-way through my meal before I remembered what I ordered was supposed to be spicy at all.

You're never going to really find spicy food in manhattan and Brooklyn cept for maybe Bricklane Curry's Phaal, the bakudan topping at Ippudo, or some random pakistani cab driver lunch spot. Go to a thai neighborhood in Queens like Elmhurst or Woodside, places like Boonchu, Zabb(manhattan one sucks) or Ayada and ask for "thai spicy." I find in manhattan unless you speak thai, they're gonna hold back.

You're never going to really find spicy food in manhattan and Brooklyn cept for maybe Bricklane Curry's Phaal, the bakudan topping at Ippudo, or some random pakistani cab driver lunch spot. Go to a thai neighborhood in Queens like Elmhurst or Woodside, places like Boonchu, Zabb(manhattan one sucks) or Ayada and ask for "thai spicy." I find in manhattan unless you speak thai, they're gonna hold back.

good looking out. Been wanting to get out to queens to eat some, anyways, so it's good to have some suggestions.

Wife and I made the mistake of asking for our papaya salad extra spicy on our first night in Thailand. HOLY SHIT. Never fucked w/ heat that like before. They say you just can't get those kinds of chilis in the US b/c they spoil in transit.

For NYC folks, the nuclear wings (or whatever spiciest variety is) @ Atomic Wings have decent heat. You might sweat a little. Only thing is, the wings suck.

I usually don't have much trouble with spicy food but made the mistake of mixing habanero's into some pico de gallo i'd made. Didn't think to take the seeds out just chopped it up like you would a jalapeno and about died. I drank 2 glasses of milk and my mouth was still burning. The flavor was great, but after that second or third bit it just killed.

DSC00709.jpg

Current rotation, Germans generally don't eat spicy foods but over the last few years I've become addicted to Asian/middle eastern food. My boss happens to be a chilli freak, he grows his own peppers and every year passes them out. My brother eats raw peppers mixed with vinegar like it's nothing. We have caribbean roots but our taste buds are world wide.