Rockabilly

dino might

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Since some of you slants are talking about listening to rockabilly in the SE thread. WHY NOT FUCKIN POST IN HERE?

I'm gonna bump this shit everyday until you fuckers post. Because I see you cunts who are leaning towards the styling, and now talking about the fuckin music, how about you post in here???

BUMPED

ALSO...

VLVXIV who's going?

Hotel room is bought, flight tickets next week, then event tickets the week or so after.

I'm heading in Friday, leaving Sunday.

When I was in the English equivalent of High School back in the early 80's, I was a psychobilly, giant flat top that was died various colors, Levis STF, combat boots and MA-1, the whole nine.

I hung with a huge crew and we were all into bands like The Cramps, The Meteors, The Guanabatz, Restless, Demented are Go and for comic relief King Kurt.

Anyway last few years I've been buying there records back up again, still gets my blood flowing and feet tapping. If anyone wants a sampler of some of the cool British psychobilly from those days, iTunes has the 'Stomping at The Klub Foot' live recordings, sometimes a little rough sounding but highly recommended.

drop the lime is brainsplode material. That shit is fucking amazing, abomination or no.

He actually did a RAB only set for Dummy:

http://www.dummymag.com/mixes/2009/10/29/dummy-mix-15-drop-the-lime/

Stunt, you going?

The Stillmen were one of my favorite bands when i first got into rockabilly almost fifteen years ago. They haven't played together in almost ten years, i'm assuming they're getting together for this one show..

115.jpg

I plan on it. Also planning to head up to the shop on Saturday.

You finna go?

I'm going for sure.

I'll be at SE from noon to 1:30pm on saturday.

Was that an Asian Rockabilly Protege mailing list?

It was forwarded to me from Jeff Carvalho from Selectism, a fashion showroom from NYC sent that to him.

I hate that blog, it's painful.

Anybody listen to Bob Luman?

I just got two more albums of his, really amazing stuff. It rivals the best of the late 50's rockabilly i've heard.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Luman

I'm gonna go off real quick about that fuckyeahrockabilly tumblr right quick. So bare with me folks. And by bare with me, I mean either disregard everything I'm bitching about or put on some earplugs and enjoy the show. Because clearly, I forgot to change my tampon before I left the house...

One reason why I hate this blog, is because the person never posts original content. While that's fine and all, but when you take credit for the stuff that gets submitted to you, or you reblog, it becomes shitty. Especially if you're claiming to be apart of a certain subculture. Let alone a subculture where history is everything.

This broad knows nothing about what she posts about, who are in the pictures, if it's actually rockabilly or not. She recently made a post saying that she reached 1000 posts, when in actuality she probably one posted about 10 things on her own, if that. The rest were reblogs or submissions from other people, who most likely know what it is they're actually talking about.

I don't care if she dresses the part or not, but at least know what the hell you're talking about before you post it. Posting a picture of a young Dennis Hopper and labeling it rockabilly because he had a 1950s hairstyle, is shallow and pedantic. She didn't know it was Dennis Hopper, but since he had the hairstyle, it's cool.

Someone recently posted a Ricky Nelson song on her blog, Believe What You Say. Which is probably my favorite song of his, next to It's Late. The performance of both songs from the Ozzie & Harriet Show, show the connection he and James Burton shared on stage. Now... I'm not upset that she thinks she likes what I like, and blah blah blah, hipster anti hipster. But I'm sure she had no idea who Ricky Nelson was, prior to that song being posted. And I back this by her playlist on the bottom of the tumblr. Where now, Believe What You Say is the starting song of her playlist.

It's tumblr, so you can only expect that. But for some of these actual rockabillies on tumblr to follow her and submit to her, is ridiculous.

People here can say blah blah blah dreadlocks blah blah blah. But guess what, I still listen to reggae and I've never smoked weed, so tell me how far your generalizing will still take ya? Dreadlocks were a form of rebellion, punk rock was a form of rebellion, rock n' roll was a form of rebellion. I can tell you my life story from preschool till now, and it'll all be synonymous.

(holy shit, I just found out you can extend the reply box!)

FUCK!

Rockabilly isn't full of hate, but this site brings the worst out of it all. It shows that you can buy your cool and buy your way into a "scene" what others consider a lifestyle. Yes, the rockabilly lifestyle isn't cheap in any way or form, especially if you're the type who actually go out and buy era correct houses and furnish the house accordingly. But her site is just like that link Kiya sent me, but with pink and buttons.

And WHAT THE FUCK IS A MAN PIN UP???

end rant/

It's my birthday I can fuck shit up for one day. Because 24 years ago, I entered the world shitting on the doctor, just like I shit on your parade. I'm not sure how much of that is true, but that's ok.

• 2 weeks later...
Spending two weeks in the states around this time. Thinking of going to the VLV weekender to go along with my Graceland pilgrimage.

Pointers for any cheap spots to stay around the Orleans?

Stay at the Gold Coast, it's super cheap and there's a free shuttle 24/7 to the Orleans.